#1 Will.I.Am

Will.I.Am

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, California

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:20 AM

Has anyone bought and used these HQST 100W flex panels?  I've read here about the Renogy recall...panels look very similar.

https://www.amazon.c...=A2D22KZJD14Y8Y

Thanks for your thoughts.

2005 FWC Hawk occasionally riding atop a 2000 Silverado LS 4wd w/Toyo A/T's, Supersprings.

Gramming on the Instagram.

#2 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:07 PM

I have one of these installed on my land cruiser for the past year or so.  So far so good.  Given the issues with other flexible panels (including an older one I had installed on the LC using 3M VHB tape) I elected to install it using screws through the grommets so it would be relatively easy to replace this time around.   That is probably not an option on the FWC roof though. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#3 Alvis

Alvis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:17 PM

no experience with these, but in researching, I kinda like this idea of using corrugated plastic sheet under them to give a bit of an air gap below to improve efficiency (reduced heating).  

see this sail boat example:  http://dainyrays.blo...lar-panels.html

2015 F150 Supercab 6.5 foot bed 2.7

2016 ATC Ocelot side dinette

http://alvisontheroad.blogspot.com/

#4 timzog

timzog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 02:44 PM

I bought two HQST 100W flexible panels and installed them on my Airstream roof.  They were glued directly to the roof.  They both failed within 6 months sitting directly in the UT sun which is probably the worst possible scenario.  The aluminum roof of the airstream gets incredibly hot when the sun is shining on it so coupled with a couple weeks of near 100 degree temps, they both failed. 

#5 dasadab

dasadab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 02:55 PM

I just bought one yesterday. They get good reviews. I was planning on eventually attaching it with all weather heavy duty Velcro and perhaps running a bead of silicone along the leading-edge. If anybody has any better ideas about installing them so that they can be later removed. I would appreciate it. Alternatively, I may just store it under the mattress and plug it into the external connector that I already have. I have the factory solar on the roof. I just want to get a better handle on storage convenience and usage before I decide what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Edited by dasadab, 03 July 2016 - 02:58 PM.

#6 Kodachrome

Kodachrome

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationColorado Rockies

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:45 PM

I bought two HQST 100W flexible panels and installed them on my Airstream roof.  They were glued directly to the roof.  They both failed within 6 months sitting directly in the UT sun which is probably the worst possible scenario.  The aluminum roof of the airstream gets incredibly hot when the sun is shining on it so coupled with a couple weeks of near 100 degree temps, they both failed. 

Yep, they failed because they overheated, I can't even begin to fathom why people are gluing these things onto the roofs.

I have had two 100W HQST panels on the roof my of my camper and they are screwed into the roof using the frame rails so I had to drill holes into the non-cell parts of the panel. There are also some spacers in between the mounting points to allow for a bit of air flow, they have been fine. 

I also have a 50W on the air dam of the camper and another 300W of the HQST panels on a slide out / removable rack under the cab over. 

I think these panels are fine but one has to be careful to not bend them too much, no gluing to hot surfaces leaving zero air flow & use all the other usual considerations when installing solar. 

Edited by Kodachrome, 03 July 2016 - 08:49 PM.

Instagram

407 HP Supercharged 2005 Tacoma / 550W Solarcharged 2009 ATC Bobcat.

#7 Will.I.Am

Will.I.Am

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:33 PM

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the comments.  Well, I bought the panel, and thought I had a good plan for installing using my Yakima rack tracks, but now I'm realizing that there would be way too much flex since the tracks are so far apart compared to the panel width.

I'm leaning towards Kodachrome's method of attaching directly to the roof/frame rails...I have the older style, non-smooth FWC roof, so there are sheet metal screw heads, the center stringer, etc that are all sticking up.  If I attached directly, probably important to not have the panel sitting hard down on the existing screw heads in particular?

Kodachrome - any chance you could send me a picture of your install?  I'm particularly interested in how you did your spacers. 

2005 FWC Hawk occasionally riding atop a 2000 Silverado LS 4wd w/Toyo A/T's, Supersprings.

#8 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:38 PM

Adventure Trailers used 5100C acrylic foam tape to attach the 100w flex panel they installed for me. FWIW

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#9 Will.I.Am

Will.I.Am

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 02:38 AM

Here's what I think I might try...any thoughts? 1/4 or 1/2 in nylon spacers (6), 1/2 or 2 inch self-tapping roofing screws. I'd like the panel to be as forward as possible due to surfboards and other gear we have up top usually. Still seems a little flimsy...ImageUploadedByWander The West1467599836.626460.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1467599869.825559.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1467599883.745785.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#10 dasadab

dasadab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:07 PM

I would personally want to learn more about using self taping screws and spacers.  My concern is that the panel will vibrate like crazy on the spacers and the screws will work themselves out quickly.  However, this can probably be overcome with a properly prepared technique--pilot hole, fill hole with adhesive, attach screw, cover screw with ? silicone?

I would love to hear how folks avoid self taping screws working loose on a vibrating serface. What products they use, etc.  

A lot of folks on the internet seem to use 3M VHB tape.  

Here is a link to 3M tape:

http://multimedia.3m...TDS 11-2015.pdf

Edited by dasadab, 04 July 2016 - 05:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users