CA-89/44 McCloud to Susanville

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:43 AM

I'm sure many here have some knowledge of this route.  We're heading down to Big Pine from Seattle for a wedding and to just plain get away.  Like most of our trips, the first part is rushed.  My plan is to head out early Thursday AM (mid-August) and make a long day driving.  I'm thinking we will head straight down 5 (yes, mind numbing), then turn off on CA-89 and find a spot somewhere past McCloud.

From various bits of research, looks like there's a few relatively easily accessible USFS campgrounds along that stretch.  Hoping to find something simple for a quick overnight, as we (I) will have ~12 hours of driving to this point, towing a Jeep too.

From there we'll head over 44 to Susanville and connect with 395, and my wife's nephew in Carson City for the rest of the trip down.

Seem like a viable plan?  Not sure how campgrounds in that area fill up.  I think there may be some easy dispersed camping areas near the highway too.

I figure if any group knew northern CA, this would be the place :-)

(This is the first time I've looked forward to a wedding and visiting in-laws)

Edited by Bad Habit, 28 July 2016 - 02:48 AM.

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:12 AM

Burney Falls is an option. There are campgrounds in the Hat Creek area, too. Give Smokecreek a shout, he lives in Susanville, and will have many more suggestions.

I am haunted by waters

#3 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 28 July 2016 - 04:54 AM

Burney Falls is about 45-60 minutes east of McCloud.  Just east of McCloud ~5 mi. on Hwy. 89 are the McCloud (Upper and Lower) Falls.  Turn right at the sign, McCloud Falls and continue ~1/2 mi.  You will come to Lower McCloud Falls Campground.  If full, get back onto Hwy. 89 heading east.  You are surrounded by USFS land.  There are several dirt roads along this Hwy before Burney Falls State Park with plenty of camping spots for the night...it's a beautiful route with forest and spectacular views of Mt Shasta to the north. But, be sure to visit Burney Falls SP.  The falls are breathtaking.      

Edited by NorCalHawk, 28 July 2016 - 01:37 PM.

#4 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:14 PM

You said the trip down is rushed but Burney Falls has been a must-stop in my family for 3 generations. Perhaps visit it on the way north when you have more time to spare?

Looking at your route thru that region on google maps I see lots of clear-cut patches so there should be lots of options

for bivouac camping.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#5 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:15 PM

Thx.  I always worry that I'll end up just settling for something like an empty parking lot, then the next day find out if I would have traveled just a mile or 2 more...

The Falls do look incredible, worth a few hours to see them.

#6 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:10 PM

Bad Habit

Lot's of places to camp, BLM, USFS, PG&E and state coming in  on the 89 especially around Fall River Mills and Lake Britton, and on the 44, Susanville to 395 run.  The area around Old Station/Hat Creek have several nice CG's (probably people though,  and a stop for a cold one at the OS cafe might be worth a quick break ;) ! The further SE you go the less people there are, especially as you go up the hill on 44 and hit the flats,check out the Bogart CG just past the rest stop- you might also try the Butte Lake turn off for the back way in to Lassen Volcanic NP,-nice little fs cg on that road and not far from the hw; the NPS CG at Butte Lake is okay too! While plenty of places to dry camp along the way, I would try to stay at  a cg because the FIRE danger is very, very high (red Flag warnings) and we are supposed to hit 101 today!

If you don't want to see any people  take 139 to Eagle Lake instead of 44 ,nice BLM CG at the Pit River, and  the free FSCG at Ash Creek (go east at Aden) might be worth a stop, pay one along hw! At Eagle Lake there is a BLM CG just off the HW,  then my old standby, the prim. BLM CG at Bucks Bay (free CG's along 139 too!)!  The lake is low, but better than before and it might be worth the drive to take the county road around the lake-$30.00/night fs cg's there-up the hill to 44, then down to Susanville-several nice photo points there!  It's a quick 1 1/2 run to Reno from Susanville and then on to Carson City. Drop a line here when you leave to get fire/weather conditions and be sure to check the CDF fire situation web site and also the FS large fire web site; it is getting interesting around here and you don't want to drive into a fire situation! Have a good trip and hope this helps!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 28 July 2016 - 03:32 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:58 PM

There is also a PG&E CG along Hat Creek just past the fish hatchery,near Cassel.

Quiet place. As Smoke said several CGs along 89 where it runs next to Hat Creek between Burney and Lassen.

Have a nice trip.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 03:52 AM

Thanks all!  I knew there would be useful knowledge of the area from this group.    I've been wanting to explore this whole area more but haven't gotten the chance yet.  Have gone through a few times over the past year or two, but always in a hurry to somewhere else.  Always wishing I could stop and spend some quality time.  Have also learned that you should be mindful of fuel level, not a lot of diesel available on 139 :wacko: , caught it in time to reroute to Alturas.

What info I don't get to use this trip will go into the storage banks for some future exploring :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users