32 replies to this topic

#1 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:57 PM

We've used some really cheap Coleman rectangular sleeping bags in the camper and boat. Something like $17 on sale.

I'd like to get a very roomy, quality bag to replace the Colemans. I'm 6'2" so roomy is highly desired, I am also a restless sleeper, and want to be able to roll over easily. I would prefer a down bag, but a good synthetic would be ok. Maybe something with different lofts top and bottom, so they can be flipped to match temperatures.

Any recommendations?

I am haunted by waters

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:25 PM

We bought a North Face Dolomite 3 season synthetic insulation double bag. It's spec'd down to 20 deg F. We have a Costco $20 down throw that we can add if it gets really cold.

Haven't needed the furnace with the down throw. Of course, it hasn't been below 35 F inside when camping although it was about 28 F outside in Bryce.

The throw is slick enough to slide off the top so we anchor it with a pillow at our feet or put the throw inside the bag.

https://www.rei.com/...20-sleeping-bag
Our bag is two years old & has zippers on each side rather than one long one.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:30 PM

Another fan of the NF dolomite bag. We had sheets for comfort but the double bag make packing and unpacking really easy. It's comfortable and roomy. It has 4 zippers, 2 on each side. I like to sleep with my feet exposed.

Edited by super doody, 04 August 2016 - 06:13 PM.

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#4 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:05 PM

+1 on the down throws from Costco. They make a big difference.

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#5 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:21 PM

I'll suggest looking at Teton Sports various sleeping bags. I have two Celsius models with opposing zippers and can join them together if I'd like. They have various sizes and temp ratings. Great bags. I use my zero degree with a blanket on top and do fairly well in winter desert conditions. I'd like the -25 degree bag but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

http://www.tetonspor...tm#.V6OkOaIXeAo

Edited by ETAV8R, 04 August 2016 - 08:23 PM.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#6 MDM54

MDM54

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:53 PM

Wiggys makes a great bag . Mine is Mummy style but made wider and longer than usual. Very roomy for a mummy style. Slept outside for a year with lowest temp 9 degree F and no cold complaints. Bag warms up in 30 seconds once you get in it. Drys really quick when wet.

#7 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:50 PM

Yes, Wiggy's is great gear. I like mine a lot. But it is not even close in price to $17 on sale bags.....
That comparing peanut butter protein to kolbe steaks. A place for both in the market, but the purpose is about all they have in common.
This is not meant to be catty......, more "perspective".

#8 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:46 PM

If you are using it for your TC and don't necessarily need a sleeping bag you may want to consider an RV Superbag.

Not cheap but reversible depending on the temps and it has detachable sheets that can be easily washed as opposed to trying to clean sleeping bags. My wife was sceptable at first but after spending a week camping and then just throwing the sheets in the washer convinced her...

www.rvsuperbags.com

Edited by smlobx, 23 August 2016 - 10:07 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#9 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:11 PM

I also use the Dolomite bag and have a Pendleton blanket to add for colder nights.

Charlie

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West
Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#10 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:35 PM

I also use the Dolomite bag and have a Pendleton blanket to add for colder nights.

Charlie

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Ditto....how'd you know that....I'll bet my Pendleton blankets older though..... :D

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users