Photo
- - - - -

3/4 ton truck with campers going to Mexico not allowed to cross?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Freedom

Freedom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:22 PM

I'm looking to buy a truck and FWC to make extended trips into Baja.  One of my concerns with going with a 3/4 ton truck is that I've heard that some overlanders are getting turned back at the Mexican border if the truck/camper is not registered as an RV.  I heard this started on the southern border of Mexico with Americans trying to return back into Mexico on there way north to the USA.  It sounds like it is starting to become a problem at the Northern Mexico border now going south, but I can't find any hard proof to these events.  Has anyone had this experience with crossing the Mexican border with their 3/4 ton truck/camper setup?

Freedom

#2 PacificExposure

PacificExposure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:56 PM

I've never heard of that, and never had an issue ever crossing into mexico with my camper.  Probably crossed a dozen times through San Ysidro with my Tacoma/Eagle combo.

#3 Freedom

Freedom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:36 PM

I've never heard of that, and never had an issue ever crossing into mexico with my camper.  Probably crossed a dozen times through San Ysidro with my Tacoma/Eagle combo.

It is not a problem the smaller trucks such as your Tacoma, but specific to crossing with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck and camper.

#4 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:00 PM

When did this supposedly start?

Driving my F250 with FWC Hawk, I encountered no problem like this crossing into Baja at Tecate in March of 2015.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#5 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:55 PM

Possible NAFTA Commercial Truck issue? Maybe they are pushing back a little with some of the political spewing going on. Just thinking aloud.

Edited by Squatch, 09 August 2016 - 05:55 PM.

#6 driller

driller

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationRiverton, Utah

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:30 AM

day 9.9.jpg Went in May 2016 through Douglas AZ. Had no problems.  2000 Dodge Ram 2500 with a northstar pop up

2015 Ram 2500 ccsb 4x4 6.4 Hemi

Northstar tc850s

2016 toyota 4r trail

#7 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:58 AM

Never had a problem in the last 10 years since I've had the camper. They did x-ray the truck last year at the Tijuana crossing. 

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#8 Freedom

Freedom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:06 AM

When did this supposedly start?

Driving my F250 with FWC Hawk, I encountered no problem like this crossing into Baja at Tecate in March of 2015.

The guy who runs the Mali Mish youtube channel has a Vlog and he is the first to speak of friends not being allowed to return in to Mexico on the southern border with a 3/4 ton truck/camper setup. The last I heard from him, he said the friends are still stuck trying to figure out how to return home.   Mali Mish family was in Mexico for 6 months with a F-250 and FWC and said that he started to get some issues at the northern Mexico border returning back to the USA because his rig was not registered as an RV on the title.

I just asking if anyone else has had this problem, as this will factor into my decision not to go with a large truck.

#9 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:40 PM

CBP is aware of this issue and it almost always starts with your vehicle registration.  Last month, I discussed this very issue with a CBP agent at ABQ at the Global Entry Office. 

Many states classify 3/4 and 1 ton pickup trucks as "COMMERCIAL" or "COMMERCIAL/PRIVATE" and such is stated on the registration regardless, even if 100% private use.  North Carolina states "PRIVATE/COMMERCIAL"  on the registration for all vehicles with a 7000#+ GVWR.   

The problem returning to the US begins when a Mexican agent sees the word "COMMERCIAL" on the registration.  thus, for those of us with private 2/3 and 1 ton private pickup trucks,  the "official" reason for the visit to Mexico and return to the USA just changed in the eyes of the Mexican government.  Mexican officials may now have reason to believe you entered Mexico with out the requisite commercial forms and inspections.

It is very problematic for residents of those states where there is little recourse regarding actual v. state required classification on the registration, such as NC.

Edited by Advmoto18, 10 August 2016 - 05:20 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#10 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:28 PM

I had heard the "commercial" trucks were having some problems which is why I was planning on selling my company's F-350 to myself before I try to go to Baja.
Has anyone contacted Baja Bound or Discover Baja (the people who sell vehicle insurance to us gringo's) and see what they have to say?

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users