• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jamesiam

Jamesiam

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationStateline Nevada

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:56 AM

After years of a leak less roof during the drought the month of January 2016 in Pismo beach changed that scenario. I had a leak that required the use of a small pot to collect water. It was embarrassing but I had a blue tarp on the top of the four wheel camper to assist with the steady rainfall. After a small break in rain I attempted to repair the leak area ( around Fantastic fan ) with some adhesive which I will look up if requested which also costed me a hard fall. On my last trip up, stepping from truck cab roof to camper roof I slipped; I immediately found myself chest into windshield (drizzling and slippery) I had lost the cap to my windshield wiper arm attachment the day before and had an exposed screw which I immediately thought of as I spun around and started sliding towards the driver’s side front hood, in an act of brilliance/stupidity I extended my foot to stop fall with tire but instead catapulted forward to the concrete below with arm extended. My right wrist was done and was off for around three months and to this day can be tweaky. The worst part was knowing I had to climb up once more for those few screws to be be installed.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and after a few beers I found myself pulling the ceiling material, insulation and anything in my way out for a 1" foam board insulation, possible rewiring lights, rear outside light doesn't work and possible mold.  No mold found but did find slight corrosion in staples that I removed from ceiling. I also wanted to install a solar panel (the one I've had under my bed for three years). 

Upgrades will include:

1) New light birch wood paper throughout

2) Faux stainless steel fridge paper DONE!

3) Possible removal of couch with a small rebuild of side dinette

4) 1" foam board in ceiling

5) solar hookup

Quick shout to four wheel who within 26 hours of my call had delivered my new ceiling liner material. 

Woodland to South Lake Tahoe

A few questions, are these bends and twists in rear frame common? photo included

Withe the ceiling exposed shall I do anything in particular since it's exposed? 

I also included a photo of my faux stainless steel fridge material upgrade! 

Attached Thumbnails

• FAUX FRIDGE.jpg
  • BEND.jpg

Edited by Jamesiam, 25 August 2016 - 12:28 AM.

#2 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:48 AM

Jamesiam,

So sorry to hear about your "slip and fall" while working on your camper roof, sounded painful and scary! I once lost my footing working on the trim of a pop up Hallmark, while at the top of a six foot ladder. I remember the rapid thoughts that go through your mind when you're having one of those "oh crap" moments, and on your way down wondering what your going to hurt or break, so I was feeling for you bud. Glad you're doing well now.

Regarding the aluminum tubing being bent in at the end, that is how they are made. The tubes are rectangular, and are something like 1 3/8" or 1 1/2" X 1" (can't remember), for increased load bearing strength, and when they come to each end, they are compressed down to 1" all around to join the 1" perimeter of the roof frame. So, yours is the way it's supposed to be.
If you go to the Four Wheel Camper Websight, and look at the videos, Tom Hannigan discusses roof construction on one of them, and you can see an individual piece of the roof strut, with each end compressed. Hope that helps.

Good luck on your remodel, post lots of pics!

http://www.fourwh.co...-video-gallery/

Poky

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Edited by PokyBro, 25 August 2016 - 05:54 AM.

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#3 cannuk

cannuk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:31 PM

I dont have much insight on what to do while you have the roof pulled apart, but would love to hear the details of what you did to the fridge. I have an 04 Hawk that looks identical to that and would love to start modernizing the interior...

#4 Jamesiam

Jamesiam

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:23 AM

PokyBro, 

Thanks for the heads up on the twists for strength. I've come across frame photos before and never noticed that. 

#5 Jamesiam

Jamesiam

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:59 PM

Cannuk,

biggest interior modernizing for me were the countertops, I used a granite style laminate over that ghastly white and it really made it pop.

#6 Jamesiam

Jamesiam

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:57 AM

So it’s been a bit but progress has been made. I installed the exterior roof assists and failed, within two lifts the screws were ripping out. It was super hard to close possibly because no liner or insulation but will have to retry again. I used the V shape seen in so many photos but the bottom support screws above door were a no go.

I completed my interior roof insulation project last weekend and am happy with the looks, just looking at it I feel warmer for winter. For the most part all went well, measure, cut and place for around 5 hours. I used two 1”   4 X 8 R-Max boards with a small amount to spare. Heading up towards Fort Bragg this Wednesday so my roof liner will be on hold for a few weeks which is okay seeing as I’m a bit nervous about that one. I also installed new ceiling TXL wire with Posi connects. 

For roof liner install I purchased thin wood strips to run across ceiling similar to stock but want to paint those along with bed extension rails, edge of bed frame that slides out and trim around back interior door; what color to use…

Also on hold is new wallpaper for counter face material ( doesn't look that bad ) 

Also hooked up a USB port that I installed a few years back.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160924_172620_1474944857780_resized.jpg

#7 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:23 AM

Cannuk,

biggest interior modernizing for me were the countertops, I used a granite style laminate over that ghastly white and it really made it pop.

I did somethng similar; I watched craigslist until I found a larger piece of 1/4" (maybe 5/16") of corian.  Took off the old counter (not hard but time consuming finding all (and getting to) all the screws), used it as a template, etc.

Also, if you pull the refrig, you can do the fan upgrade much eaiser, install some extra insulation and do some maint. (cleaning the "flue", etc.).  I think I replaced jets, etc. too while I had mine out. 

Kevin

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#8 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:24 AM

Oh, and consider a second fan if so inclined.  I've never needed one it but that would be the time to do it.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#9 Jamesiam

Jamesiam

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:16 AM

Sorry for the delay on updates. After the post in September I stored the Four Wheeler in a storage facility in Carson City, I cant store it at Condo and with winter snow I feel the weight is too much for my poor little 2005 Tundra; I just drive down to light snow/rain level and load when I want to camp. A few days after storing I decided to check on camper after a rain, after all the roof was good. I popped it up and the bed cushion was soaked, I could squeeze water from it, FML! At that moment I decided to store it in Vegas and have a friend help me with the woodwork inside while it was garage stored and dried out. 

For the roof I ended up ordering Liquid Roof online. I simply rolled this liquid rubber type matter over entire roof of camper. I had a side door and both garage doors open with a shirt wrapped around my face and a fan blowing but the vapors where still there. I finished as fast as I could but unfortunately had a slight off feeling from the smell; plenty of fresh air, shower and food brought me back which I prayed caused minimal damage to the few hundred brain cells I have left. I would definitely suggest  using that stuff outside to anyone using it. Super happy with outcome though, looks solid and has been in rain with not a bead of water getting inside. 

My friend took out the side couch and we fashioned it into a side dinette. We built the water container box higher to match the new back seat and also built a little wood cabinet. Super happy with the new seating arrangement with my gal instead of staring at the kitchen drawers; oh and I bought a Lagun table to boot .

All new cushions and upholstery (jeez Louise that was costly to buy) and a job almost complete, still have to apply new ceiling material. I built the back seat a bit on the large side which is slightly inconvenient getting in and out but happy with the size for storage, I think it feels like a new camper. Also installed all new matt black cabinet handles after removing all brass and pained heater and small vent screen below heater with high temp paint, automotive maybe

I'll attach a few more pics tomorrow

Attached Thumbnails

• thumbnail_20170601_175523_1496457917613.jpg
  • thumbnail_20170319_123806_1496457918067.jpg
  • thumbnail_20170606_173101_1496891178386.jpg
  • thumbnail_20170606_173128_1496891178808.jpg
  • thumbnail_20170606_173150_1496891178940.jpg

Edited by Jamesiam, 08 June 2017 - 03:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users