79 replies to this topic

#1 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:02 PM

I've tried several but for one reason or another they never seem quite right. Either their too upright or I sink down in them so much that my thighs get pinched on the edge.
Ideally it will fold up to a rather compact size as well..

Any reccomendations? Pics would be great if possible.
Thanks!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#2 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:21 PM

https://www.rei.com/...nox-beach-chair

Charlie

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West
Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#3 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:38 PM

Strongback chair thread.

#4 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:24 PM

Strongback chair thread.

+1 on Strongback
Most comfortable I've found, most stable, and easiest to get out of with old knees.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#5 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:12 PM

Another reason I really enjoy this site!

Thanks to the reccomendations here we just orders 2 elites for our next trip!
They should be a major improvement to what we have been using....

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#6 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 12 September 2016 - 03:39 PM

Both the Strongback and Helinox Beach chair look interesting and I'll be keeping an eye out for them to give them a try.  In the meantime, I thought I'd post my current ones....

Our camper van has a wide storage area in the fiberglass roof (above the passenger compartment ceiling) and we can fit two of these aluminum-framed side-table chairs in it.  They're comfortable and the little flip-up table is great for a drink and lunch plate.

We don't have a great storage space for them in the Hawk so I bought a pair of Front Runner Expander chairs off Amazon (I see today they're currently unavailable there) for $55 each.

HawkChairComparison.jpg  HawkChairComparisonFolded.jpg

The small size of the Expanders allows me to store one in an odd space behind my driver's seat and the other behind the Yeti I keep by the Hawk's door (I have it slid forward so I can take the photo of the chair in place).

HawkChairCab.jpg  HawkChairInside.jpg

Of the two designs, the side-table chairs are the more comfortable and we miss the side-tables when using the Expanders for lunch or foursies (snack and a drink in the afternoon) at some lookout or roadside pull-off.

I had also been very interested in the GCI Outdoors Pico Arm Chair for its even smaller folded-up size but had some problems with the setup and takedown when I tried one in an outdoors-gear store.  I suppose that one could have been abused and we don't know what improvements the manufacturer makes from year to year so I'll be looking to try it again.

GCI also makes a chair similar to the Expander called an Xpress Director's Chair.  At the time I bought the Expanders, the Xpress chairs had aluminum uprights for the back so I opted for the all-steel Expanders. I see GCI now lists the Xpress Director's Chair as having a powder-coated steel frame where before it was listed as a steel-and-aluminum frame.  Also, at the time GCI had an XL model which was wider and had a higher weight limit.  There may still be some of those around.

-Old Crow

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#7 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 12 September 2016 - 03:51 PM

I had one of the GCI Xpress chairs and didn't find it that comfortable, but then it got stolen at a campground near Moab so the comfort problem was solved.  ;)

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#8 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:13 PM

I have and really like my StrongBack chair, but this has become my favorite chair.  It's light, comfortable and folds nice and flat, but wouldn't you know, REI discontinued them.

e0fd72e12c0b4fb3508bd47fc71fc6f8.jpg

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,340 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:18 PM

........................................ but wouldn't you know, REI discontinued them.

our favorite also Mr. Groovy. It is small and lays flat on the camper floor just inside the door. It has been discontinued previously and then showed up again. On discontinued items, ask someone in a store to check for remaining stock in other stores. We got two for half price with no shipping charges to a closer store.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#10 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:37 PM

41%2Bnf7b4jdL._SY450_.jpg

Directors chair from Costco.  Built like a tank so you can sit however you want without fear of breaking it.

My GF often sits sideways with her legs hanging over the arm.

I like how they have the bar on the bottom so they are stable and don't sink into sand etc.

I also like that they are high.  It makes getting in and out and scooting your way around a fire pit when the wind changes direction easy.

~$20 to $25.

I always have 2 in behind my rollover couch at all times.  I love them.

They usually carry them every year and are available in different colours.  No writing on them either.

Edited by Bill D, 12 September 2016 - 11:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users