SCUD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationOregon City, Oregon

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:28 AM

Noob question.

No manual came with the factory TANKS/BATTERY monitor panel on my 2016 Fleet.  I realize this is a rudimentary device, but can anyone tell me what the battery L, F, G, and C markings under the 4 lights are meant to indicate?  My guess is Low, Fair, Good, and Charging or Charged, but are there any voltages associated with these indicators?  

2020 Hawk, rollover couch

2018 GMC Sierra 2500 SLT Z71, 6.0 liter Crew Cab 4WD, 6'-6" bed

Summer tires = Goodyear Wrangler SR-A LT265/60R20 121/118SE     

Winter/off-road tires = General Grabber ATX LT265/70R18 124S E1 

TorkLift StableLoads, Timbrens, no air bags

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:31 AM

None worth mentioning. I use the display only for fresh water amount. If you have the Zamp solar charge controller, it can display the voltage accurately. It will be the voltage of any charging source like the Iota converter, solar, or truck alternator or the battery if no charging source is present.

Use a DMM to measure the battery directly. I got a cheap one at Harbor Freight to leave in the camper when they had a coupon.
Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:58 PM

An earlier thread identified the panel in the 2013 Fleet as a KIB Enterprises M1106.  I called KIB's 800 number a few minutes ago and spoke with the parts department (Bill), who told me the labels and ranges are:

LOW  up to 11.2 volts

FAIR   11.2 to 11.7 volts

GOOD 11.7 to 12.5 volts

CHARGE 12.5 volts and above.

(figures are nominal)

Bill was a super-nice guy and very willing to help. The KIB toll-free number is 800-250-7051.  I note the panels are shown in some contexts as being made by KIB Enterprises but their web site says KIB Electronics.

PS- please note I called about a KIB M1106 panel.  I can't confirm that's good info about what's used in a 2013 Fleet or still used in a 2016 Fleet (or other FWC models). 

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#4 97grandby

97grandby

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:44 PM

I have had those type of monitors in my past toy hauler and other campers and found them wanting.  They never really give you an exact reading as you don't know what could be running at the time to change the voltage. Several of us have added a timetric 2030 rv battery monitor and solved all the guess work as well as tell you how much power you have left in the batteries.  Felt like going from driving a car and thinking you have enough fuel left in the tank to knowing how much fuel is left in the tank. I don't worry about my furnace or fridge shutting off in the night anymore as I can plan accordingly.  But either way congrats on the new camper and welcome about the forum. 

"Overkill is under rated" 

my Grandby upgrades--http://www.wanderthe...-to-me-grandby/

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#5 SCUD

SCUD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:12 PM

I understand that that there are more effective ways of measuring battery voltages. At some point I may get a Zamp or Trimetric. That's not what I asked for.

Old Crow, thank you for your research and the link. That is exactly what I was looking for. My panel is an M1106.

Scott

Edited by SCUD, 27 October 2016 - 10:10 PM.

#6 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:16 PM

Hey, Scott--

Until you get something more sophisticated, you might want to keep an eye on voltage levels with an inexpensive digital voltage display in one of your 12v power sockets (if you're not already doing so). 

I have one like this Innova model.   They call it a Battery and Charging System Monitor but it just displays the voltage at the socket and you have to interpret what that means.  But it's better than guessing what the LEDs indicate.

My Innova has been reasonably durable but it has come apart at the tip.  That black plastic piece on the end has screwed itself out a couple of times over the years.  I should put some threadlocker on it (just don't glue it, though, as there's a fuse in there you may need to change sometime).

I also like that I can take it to the truck (unlike a hard-wired one) and see what it's battery and alternator are doing.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#7 SCUD

SCUD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 12:10 AM

Thanks, "Old Crow", I was just looking at something similar.  I like the ability to use one in the cab also.

Scott

#8 bfh4n

bfh4n

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationLovingston, Virginia

Posted 28 October 2016 - 12:55 PM

The battery voltage aspect of the built-in monitor panel is not very useful. I'd recommend installing a TriMetric. The water level part is somewhat more useful, but it has low resolution and I hear that it's not very reliable. It is a pretty simple project to cut a vertical slot in the cabnetry so that the wall of the tank is visible and the actual water level can be seen.

- Bernard

Edited by bfh4n, 28 October 2016 - 10:32 PM.

2014 silver Fleet front-dinette

2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD TRD V6 6-speed

#9 scappoosebrad

scappoosebrad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationScappoose, OR

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:32 PM

Old Crow,

when you use your Innova "Battery and Charging System Monitor" in a 12v. socket, you said, "you have to interpret what that means"... could you offer more details about your "interpretation" of its reading? 

looks like a inexpensive tool to assist the current led lights that are the installed monitor in Fleets... thanks...

#10 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:55 PM

You guys have it all wrong (or maybe I do, but my method has positive results).....

L: Long Island Ice Tea

F: French 75 (or 77 if you like)

G: Gin and Tonic

C: Cabernet

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users