11 replies to this topic

#1 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:01 AM

This topic has been discussed here in the past, but there may be new tools and more recent experiences with some older devices which this question brings to the surface.

What type/brand/model of tire deflators are well-regarded by WTW users.  Yes, I have a good-quality round dial gauge and a Schrader valve tool, but it seems appealing to pre-set my desired lower pressure and let it fly until it gets there.  

In the other direction, do deflators or other devices cut off automatically once preset highway pressures are achieved when airing back up?  The inline pressure gauge on my Smittybilt portable compressor is rather inaccurate.

Foy

#2 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:35 AM

I have an ARB pump and gauge that works well. Gauge is accurate when checked. Might be others that do have presets out there, but the ARB quality seems pretty good. 

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#3 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:16 PM

I ordered a set of these this spring and have been happy with them so far.  Took a little bit of time to get them dialled in but they are consistent now.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#4 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:41 PM

Hello Foy
Also have the same deflator as Cayuse. Don't seem to be same as others I had years back. But the allow me to deflate more than one tire at a time then I fine tune to press I want. To be fair have not spent a lot of time to fine tune.
Use the Viair to inflate take about 20 min to take all four from 40psi to 75 psi. Not a bid deal, got a few minutes to look things over.
Hope this helps.
Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#5 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:35 PM

I also have the generic brass deflators - they work well once you have the pressures dialed in.   I have to admit that I don't fully trust them and check each tire after they have deflated.  

On the inflation side, I have a hard mounted ARB single compressor that I use both for airbags and reinflating tires.   Previously I have used a hard mounted MV-50, which honestly works just as well as the ARB for about 1/3 the price.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#6 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 489 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:02 PM

Foy,

This article might help.

#7 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:54 AM

I have 4 of these: https://www.mcmaster...65k23/=183mk2f screwed into 4 of these: https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B008PZ7M26/  though I've yet to set them up because I don't yet know what the 4rnnr is going to want. I had a single one for the '84 Xcab and it's 33-10.50's really worked well all around at 19-20 psi.

Edited by ntsqd, 17 June 2017 - 12:56 AM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#8 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:13 AM

I've got several sets of deflators for different vehicles and conditions. Two sets of Stauns, one for the truck in the dunes and another for the Jeep on the trail. I also have an ARB that can go to any pressure and gets used on either vehicle when I want a pressure other than the Staun set points. I still sometimes use my original home made one consisting of an air chuck, length of hose, pipe tee and gauge. 

The Stauns are the most convenient since you just screw them on, wait a few minutes and then remove them. You can even install them and drive a few miles at low speed then remove them in camp.

The ARB is the fastest since it removes the valve core but you can only do one tire at a time. It also allows you to stop at any pressure.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#9 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:19 AM

I have the ARB unit. I feel comfortable using it, and it really doesn't take more than 5 minutes or so to air down all 4 tires.

#10 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:57 AM

Yes, the ARB unit actually pulls the valve stem and air release is as fast or slow as you desire and is very accurate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users