• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:07 PM

The little Zaltana throw-out popup tent that we use for daytime gear storage in camp has given up the ghost (trashed zipper and fabric on the tent's only door), and I'm now on the prowl for a better long-term gear storage solution.  Our usual Grandby sleeping arrangement is a queen config down on the lower tier, so what we've typically done during the day is to transfer our  voluminous bedding into the Zaltana, including two hefty Thermarest mattresses, three FWC bed cushions, and the rolled-up sheets/blankets in a large bag.  Doing this frees up a lot more room in the Grandby, until it's time to make up the bed at night.  The system has worked OK except for several rain incursions into the tent (a definite weak link as a function of its design) and now the fatigued materials.  Guess it's time for a better gear shelter, and I'm hoping there's a good solution for us out there.

The latest thing I've been looking at is a Kamp-Rite oversize tent cot.  It's not as easy to set up as a throw-out popup tent but isn't really much more difficult or time-consuming.  A previous WTW thread in this Camping & Outdoor Gear forum (Topic 11414:  kamp-rite-oversized-tent-cot-vs-cabelas-tent-cot)  focused on the Kamp-Rite designs and I've examined their many pros and their very few cons.  But before I lay out ~ $200 for it I figured I'd ask you all if you know of any better gear storage options for us?  Our goals are rapid ease of setup, absolute (!) waterproofing, ruggedness, and wind resistance; this won't be a sleeping tent, so weight issues aren't important.

Thanks,

Rico

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#2 Edgewood

Edgewood

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • LocationBellingham WA

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:14 PM

I toss all my surplus stuff into the truck cab.

#3 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:25 PM

Yep, I'd definitely do that if the cab wasn't already maxed out with food boxes and the like.  Not much room leftover for other stuff.

RicoV

#4 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:40 PM

Have a look at the Clam Shelter/screen room. We use ours for a commode & shower enclosure. The one issue is that they don't offer a side for the door, so that is a little wonky, but it's livable. We have just three sides and face the fourth against the truck and place the unit close to the truck. Which works for privacy, but is not likely to for rain. Once you do it often enough setting it up is really fast. With the additional sides it should meet your criteria and offer the option to use as a screen room when in buggy country.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#5 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:10 PM

That was probably me in the thread on the Tent-Cot. I'm a huge fan. Never really thought of them as a gear locker though. Set up doesn't get much easier. Just get the collapsible kind not the normal style if you go with a Tent-Cot.

BB038Small.jpg

#6 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:36 AM

Thanks for your thoughts on this guys.  I guess it's decision time...

Rico

RicoV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users