65 replies to this topic

#11 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:21 AM

Search for "metal fume fever" before using a galvanized steel trash can lid for a fire pan.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#12 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:38 PM

Expensive but compact is the SnowPeak fire place grill, come in 3 sizes.  Ron

#13 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:36 PM

Good point, Paul.  As open-air camping folks we can hope the 'dilution solution' is an effective deterrent against metal fume fever.  Welders in enclosed spaces are known to have significant exposure to metal fumes, and OSHA has issued safety guidelines for these kinds of occupations.  Yet there's no clear verdict indicating just how problematic open-air campfires might be, so it seems prudent that we'd try to hang out upwind of campfire fumes whenever possible while using any fire-containing metal rings, grates, trashcan lids, etc.  And I'd be trying to do that anyway, as I don't care to be breathing any more campfire smoke than I have to.

Rico

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#14 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:23 PM

Find one of the old metal satellite dishes.  work great.

#15 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:28 AM

I had a white paper written by an Engineering Consulting firm on the welding of zinc plated steel. It covered all of the aspects of the topic and is a good read. Once I find it.

One of the points made was that zinc heated in open air becomes zinc oxide, that white stuff that you put on your nose to keep it from being sun-burnt. Not that you want to breathe much of it, but it's not the oh-my-gawd toxic stuff capable of killing your grandmother by mere association that some posters on various forums claim "vaporized zinc" to be. I will post it if I can find it.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#16 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:50 AM

Doesn't the galvanize burn off after a bit? Obviously you don't want to stand over it and breathe deeply but I would think in the open after a break in period you would not be in any great danger. I was thinking if making a rocket stove with some galvanized pipe and just being careful until it burned off......

Of course that would be an outside deal :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#17 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:44 AM

Hello everyone and thanks for the info/ideas. WS looked at one on the net,but I like wood. Probably will have to go that way soon enough, but for now gotta burn all the wood I've split.
Had not seen the lv no tr. will look at it. Liked your last trip, just up the road from us.
MDR good idea will look at that one also.
Galyon, I visited their booth at the expo, and have their info, heavy product, folds flat, serves two purpose. It a very nice product.
ntsqd, had a drum, bulky, didn't get the heat unless I was sitting on it. :) and I like to watch the fire. Thanks though, not for me.
RicoV, what do you do with the can, just kidding I wonder if the fire gets hot enough to gass off the galvanized?
I only smoke on our Treager guys but thanks for mentioning that so many fires start that way.( I'm thinking of just passing on a fire all together, but haven't gotten there yet. I just want a small fire, not going to blow off the states regs to do it though. Don't want to be that guy.
I will look PaulT. Nikonron will you cosign my loan ?? :)

Kmacafee, will take a walk around the neighborhood Sunday night , thanks.
ntsqd does it give the temp for when gassing off occurs?

happyjax let's wait for the info first. I was thinking if making a rocket stove with some galvanized pipe and just being careful until it burned off......What I hear is "Hay everybody watch me, I'll be ok"

Did find this wilderness 27 inch portable fire ring camco.
Will let y'all know what we do. I really appreciate all the post's, and thoughts.
Thank you.

Russell
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#18 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:46 AM

What about using a metal oil drain pan?  

They are about 16" in diameter have about 7" tall sides and are cheap.

not very big but easy to carry.

If you need larger a large steel tub from a feed supply might work (it think Home Depot carries some).  I have seen them in many different sizes.  Again they are cheap.

Regards,

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 22 July 2017 - 01:16 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#19 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:55 PM

For those who aren't ready to sit downwind of a fire ring made of galvanize metal....how about the end of a 30 gallon grease or oil drum? You can torch off the end with about 6 inches of the side wall intact and use that as your "fire pit" and if you want, carry a galvanized garbage can lid to place over it after "Lights Out".

Of course if you have the room and need more fire, a 55 gal drum would suffice.

A truly devious mind could construct a stand on it for a smaller sized Weber BBQ grill if one desired...

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#20 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:20 PM

One of the folks over on the Saline Valley forum builds these -

Hot Pots

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users