munchmeister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNorthern Colorado

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:52 AM

IMG_3117-L.jpg

Primus Kamoto OpenFire Pit, comes with a grate that fits on top for grilling. Folds flat, about the size of a big laptop.
$129.95

https://www.backcoun...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

IMG_3123-L.jpg

Edited by munchmeister, 23 July 2017 - 01:54 AM.

2015 FWC Raven shell, on a 2007 Ford F-150 XLT short box crew cab :D

#22 Trout1 Project

Trout1 Project

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:26 AM

I needed one while prepping for my trip to the Owahee last year so I spent a couple hours in the workshop and built a 'prototype' with stuff I had lying around. The thing folds together to be an inch thick. Minimal skills needed with the welder. It worked out so well I have not seen the need to build a better one yet, although I may get bored and do one someday I am sure. We use it dispersed camping, camping on the ski hill, and I even throw it in the kitchen box for raft trips.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20170722_200827.jpg

2007 Nissan Titan
2017 Outfitter Caribou 6.5

#23 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:53 AM

Hi Trout1 Project
Nice looking campfire pit you got there. Congrats on a job well done. Thanks everyone for the help.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#24 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:35 AM

munchmeister,
How do you like the Kamoto?
Did you get the carry bag, also? Or, how do you store it after use?

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#25 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 29 July 2017 - 02:55 AM

Well everyone I said I'd let you know where we landed for a camp fire ring. So after much thought, rereading the thread responses the winner is ..........

https://www.ebay.com...3D1269643985993

The Little Red Campfire. I'd like to explain how I got here. Started looking at the campfire in a can, ok that's not a real product you can buy but liked the idea. This LRC kept coming up.seemed like you can use them any where, adjust the size of fire, turn it off when done turn it back on if you want. Most important you will probably never hear how I burned down a couple hundred thousand acres of what we all like so much. Ski3pin in a old post said they don't do fires but like looking at the stars, hay cool me too, but I like the fire also let me read more about that LRC again. Showed the wife and she thought it was great idea. (Internet makes me look real smart, thanks folks). So I found one for a hundred bucks, a 11 lb propane tank for 60.00 . So if you see it posted in the for sale section...... well you get the idea.

Thanks again Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#26 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:02 PM

The whole fire ring topic got me to thinking. We've always used existing rings and follow the "leave no trace" principle of doing without if we camp in a "pristine spot". However, Sioux does love her campfire. So bopping around on Amazon I found this.

I like it for the compact storing advantage. It obviously is for small fires (5 KG weight limit) so I'll report back affter our big 17 day Durango-Denver odyssey.

Steve

#27 jeffymartyne

jeffymartyne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:14 PM

Hi All,  I have always used a" Smokey Joe" Webber bbq ,  1st to bbq with, then remove top grill (be careful  ) and add a dura-flame log .  Leaves no trace, gives plenty of heat, and after 3hrs everyone is ready to go to bed.

#28 2tallDA

2tallDA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:06 AM

We use the "Anza-Borrego" method, a simple metal trashcan lid available for individual purchase w/o the can at (some) TrueValue hardware stores, maybe others?  Upside-down provides a great containment surface for your blaze, then Inverting it over the ashy remains overnight (with a large rock on top) will greatly limit the odds of any escaping embers.  Store it for travel in a large plastic trashbag.  We've done it this way for many many years, ever since ABDSP began requiring it for dispersed campers like us.

Rico

That's a great idea. Scooping up the ashes when cool and you're on your way.

2007 Ram 2500 4wd,5.9 Cummins,G-56,suspended by Kore,Carli and Thuren. Anarchy EFI Live.

2000 Northstar TC800.

#29 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:39 PM

I was just reading a fellow wtw report on the wrt and they used a Quikfire propane ring.
It looks great and I have ordered one for ourself.

http://www.quikfire.com

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#30 munchmeister

munchmeister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNorthern Colorado

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:39 PM

munchmeister,
How do you like the Kamoto?
Did you get the carry bag, also? Or, how do you store it after use?
Paul

Sorry for late reply. I like it but have not used it much. I like how it catches ash at the bottom, makes it safer & somewhat easier to clean. I just use a shopping tote bag, shove it in, but their carry bag would be worth having.
2015 FWC Raven shell, on a 2007 Ford F-150 XLT short box crew cab :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users