#102 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:02 AM

Very nice. Felt like I was along for the ride. Thanks for sharing. jd

Your welcome!   

Here's a quick video I edited of the trail.  This is just the last bit of climb up and the decent down to Webster pass.  Gives an idea of the steepness.  

https://youtu.be/dEAWtOgqQ4A

#103 jmodge

jmodge

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationGreenville, MI

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:59 PM

:huh: Sounds like you are having some interesting trips, (as well as some of the characters you encounter here's to hoping you stay on the better end of those trips.

#104 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:35 AM

Your welcome!

Here's a quick video I edited of the trail. This is just the last bit of climb up and the decent down to Webster pass. Gives an idea of the steepness.

https://youtu.be/dEAWtOgqQ4A

Awesome

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#105 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:01 AM

:huh: Sounds like you are having some interesting trips, (as well as some of the characters you encounter here's to hoping you stay on the better end of those trips.

Interesting sure makes them easy to remember.   It only seems to happen when we get near civilization.  Might be we need to get further off the grid when we go.  I'm ok with that.  That's pretty easy to due desert romping, but playing in the Rockies is a tad bit harder.  

#106 jmodge

jmodge

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationGreenville, MI

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:54 PM

Interesting sure makes them easy to remember.   It only seems to happen when we get near civilization.  Might be we need to get further off the grid when we go.  I'm ok with that.  That's pretty easy to due desert romping, but playing in the Rockies is a tad bit harder.  

We run in to a lot of interesting things in michigan also. Can't get as far from civilization here, although there are remote and neat spots. A person hasn't experienced Michigan unless they have travelled the dirt roads. Took us three days to get into the upper peninsula, a 200 mile trip. We met a family in an Alaskan camper from Tuscon on a ten week trip to New York. Couple years ago a couple from Toronto in a Vanagon whom had not been home in 2 1/2 years(they made me a little jealous, but I am happy for them)

#107 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:42 AM

We run in to a lot of interesting things in michigan also. Can't get as far from civilization here, although there are remote and neat spots. A person hasn't experienced Michigan unless they have travelled the dirt roads. Took us three days to get into the upper peninsula, a 200 mile trip. We met a family in an Alaskan camper from Tuscon on a ten week trip to New York. Couple years ago a couple from Toronto in a Vanagon whom had not been home in 2 1/2 years(they made me a little jealous, but I am happy for them)

We spent 7 years living in the Detroit metro area while I started my career at GM.  One thing I regret was not going north in the summertime.   We got as far as Frankenmuth, which is cool but we didn't go much beyond that.  I did go up to my neighbor's cabin up on Sage lake for some ice fishing.   Pretty country for sure.   No offense, I did giggle when I saw my first Michigan ski area though.   

I'd like to get back and explore the UP and the shoreline of the great lakes at some point, but that's a long haul from CO.  

#108 jmodge

jmodge

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationGreenville, MI

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:32 PM

We spent 7 years living in the Detroit metro area while I started my career at GM.  One thing I regret was not going north in the summertime.   We got as far as Frankenmuth, which is cool but we didn't go much beyond that.  I did go up to my neighbor's cabin up on Sage lake for some ice fishing.   Pretty country for sure.   No offense, I did giggle when I saw my first Michigan ski area though.   

I'd like to get back and explore the UP and the shoreline of the great lakes at some point, but that's a long haul from CO.  

Yes, whole different area, our mountains are a bump in the road compared to what you have out west, I do like being near water all the time though. Hunted in Greybull Wyoming once and out to the Phoenix and Concho Lake area, Snake River Canyon. I was at the Grand Canyon probably the only time it was closed. In the 90's during a government shut down. They paid someone to turn people away, ha, government intelligence.

#109 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:14 AM

Yes, whole different area, our mountains are a bump in the road compared to what you have out west, I do like being near water all the time though. Hunted in Greybull Wyoming once and out to the Phoenix and Concho Lake area, Snake River Canyon. I was at the Grand Canyon probably the only time it was closed. In the 90's during a government shut down. They paid someone to turn people away, ha, government intelligence.

I do love our Rockies right out my front door.  But the more I get in the deserts of the southwest the more I like them too.  I will say this I like it all.   The adventure is going and checking it out.    

#110 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:49 AM

Went up for the weekend to screw around in the mountains a couple of days back.   Camper got a good workout with the wife and one of my dogs coming along for the first time.  

42821656925_49525c4dac_b.jpgIMGP0002 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

43009501014_b2e7b55725_b.jpgIMGP0006 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

At the top of the trail for Pomeroy lake.  We were at 11,500 ft here.  
43009498624_dd1f1ae138_b.jpgIMGP0007 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr
43009492754_448255eef5_b.jpgIMGP0017 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

43009490554_2451efc771_b.jpgIMGP0018 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Lots of old mine relics in this part of Colorado.  This is part of the Mary Murphy Mine.   
43725760381_b5287a34e1_b.jpgIMGP0022 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

43725752481_a3e99f9eb6_b.jpgIMGP0034 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Hankock pass.
42821428505_526d5309fa_b.jpgIMGP0001 (2) by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

30,000 Gallon water tank for the old steam engine that rain up to the Apline Tunnel.  The trail my truck is on was the old road bed for the rail line.  
43725445571_f43604ed8b_b.jpgIMGP0014 (2) by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Then the funny part.  This is a fairly new Mazda CX-5 cross-over.   Look closely and you'll see 3 flat tires in the pic.  Actually all were flat, the bonus is the right front had come completely off the bead.   This was 200ft from the summit of Tincup Pass.  It's pretty tame for my K5 as trails go and your average stock 4wd truck can go over with no lift and a decent set of tires.  But the size of the rocks kinda preclude taking a "Soft-Roader" over it with 40-series low profile tires and zero ground clearance.   The poor car got beat to death.  Rockers are missing trim and beat in by the rocks, even the doors got hit hard at the bottom.   

43725437991_b7cd328c13_b.jpgIMGP0022 (2) by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Minimum wrecker fee from a Tow operator in nearby Buena Vista Colorado was $250 per hour from when they leave the shop to where they drop it.  Just getting to the top from the south trailhead would be 2.5 hours easy.  We all laughed hard over this dummy.  

29854649208_2db5d00c44_b.jpgIMGP0023 (2) by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: K5, Blazer, 4wc, 4wheel, FWC, pop-up, camper, crawlabago

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users