• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chukar Hunter

Chukar Hunter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationVirginia City Nevada

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:51 PM

I need to haul 2 kayaks next weekend and my 07 Hawk does not have any bars on it. 1 kayak 84lbs 12 feet long and the other 50lbs 10 feet long.

I am thinking about laying two or three 2x4 across the top of the camper and remove my jacks to use for tie down points. Then more 2x4 length wise for the boats to sit on and tie down.

Hope that explanation was clear as mud :D

Any other ideas or thoughts you guys might have would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

#2 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:42 PM

I don't think temp 2x4s are what you want up there. I have had good luck with the foam block carriers on roof racks and such. My concern would be tie downs locations. Might be better to run something fore and aft between the jack brackets to provide full length tie downs. Then set the yaks on foam blocks.

I have roof bars but don't want my boats up that high these days. I converted an old Jet ski trailer (cheap used) to carry my boats and bikes. So much easier than all that lifting. I also have a longer tongue for it that I bought from a trailer place for longer boats. But these days It's mostly my solo boat so I keep it short. Set up this way my trailer is pretty much a rolling 3 bar roof rack. it's very light. I towed it 2,000 miles back in June hardly knowing it was back there.

Check with a local outfitter. maybe you can rent a multisport trailer for the weekend.

001 (Small).JPG

#3 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:18 PM

I would be concerned with doing damage to the roof.  Ron

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:24 PM

I don't think temp 2x4s are what you want up there. I have had good luck with the foam block carriers on roof racks and such. My concern would be tie downs locations. Might be better to run something fore and aft between the jack brackets to provide full length tie downs. Then set the yaks on foam blocks.

I have roof bars but don't want my boats up that high these days. I converted an old Jet ski trailer (cheap used) to carry my boats and bikes. So much easier than all that lifting. I also have a longer tongue for it that I bought from a trailer place for longer boats. But these days It's mostly my solo boat so I keep it short. Set up this way my trailer is pretty much a rolling 3 bar roof rack. it's very light. I towed it 2,000 miles back in June hardly knowing it was back there.

Check with a local outfitter. maybe you can rent a multisport trailer for the weekend.

attachicon.gif001 (Small).JPG

I like your "jet ski" trailer.

Very easy way to carry  canoes/kayaks.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,593 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:11 PM

When we don't want to put a canoe/kayak on top of the camper, we use an Aluma 5x8 utility trailer. I put Yakima gutter clips on it, then we just use the Yakima towers, bars and mounts.

I am haunted by waters

#6 Chukar Hunter

Chukar Hunter

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:45 PM

I have a trailer I could use but the problem is I am pulling my Samurai behind me. I might see what kind solution I can come up with to put them on top of the Samurai

Thanks for you input

#7 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:29 PM

Maybe replace the 2x4s with swim noodles? You could probably pull this concept off once if you're not off-roading.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#8 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:35 PM

x2 on the pool noodle idea.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#9 Chukar Hunter

Chukar Hunter

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:02 PM

KIMG0525.jpg Decided against putting the kayaks up top and built a quick rack for the samurai. Thanks for your input to help me with the decision I probably avoided future back problem

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:48 PM

Looks like a doable way to haul the kayaks.

Frank.

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users