• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#11 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:03 PM

Very nice!   My camper wasn't on my truck this morning, but if you are local and see it outside our shop stop in and say hello.

30   Michaux State Forest   New years Eve

#12 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:58 AM

Very nice!   My camper wasn't on my truck this morning, but if you are local and see it outside our shop stop in and say hello.

Will do, fireball.  Looking forward to it....

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#13 Moody

Moody

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSandy, Utah (suburbia)

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:56 PM

Is your Tundra on stock suspension? Any airbags?

#14 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:27 PM

Old Crow,

You might consider adding a sway bar.  It seems to make a difference for me.

unnamed-M.jpg

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#15 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:40 PM

Is your Tundra on stock suspension? Any airbags?

Stock at the moment.   I added Firestone air bags to the F150 and liked them but did have some leak-down issues (I had to air-up every few weeks).  I'm happy to see the Tundra installation is relatively easy  (no drilling) but before committing to bags again I want to do some more reading.   I know there's lots of good info on the subject here on Wander the West but need to read through it carefully. 

Old Crow,

<snip> 

Thanks for the recommendation!  I do feel like I have too much roll and need to address it.  

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#16 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 21 October 2017 - 04:12 AM

Old Crow,

unnamed-M.jpg

You could eat off the bottom of your truck it is so clean under there.  Very nice :)

BTW, that red sway bar looks pretty cool too.

Sorry to go off topic Old Crow.  Research is fun.  Hopefully you find a setup that works well for your needs.

#17 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:08 PM

Nice !  I liked the idea of the CTEK D250S, but that low output voltage was less than ideal.  PERFECT now!

It's interesting to see the D250SA's temperature compensation in action.   When I installed it,  I saw 14.7 volts at the house battery as expected.  But in the days to follow I saw voltages as high as 14.9, 15.0 and even a 15.1.    It took me a bit to realize I had installed the unit on a 75-degree afternoon but overnight temperatures were freezing and I was seeing those higher voltages before the day warmed up.  The voltage changes are due to temperature compensation.

That 15.1 seems pretty high and I was thinking perhaps I should contact CTEK.  Then I remembered I have a temperature-compensation chart for my CTEK 25000 battery charger.  It shows....

Temp C˚               F˚      Max Charge V

-20˚                   -4˚              15.45
-15˚                    5˚              15.34
-10˚                   14˚             15.22
-5˚                     23˚             15.10
0˚                      32˚             14.99
5˚                      41˚             14.87
10˚                     50˚             14.75
15˚                     59˚             14.63
20˚                     68˚             14.52
25˚                     77˚             14.40
---------------------------------------------
30˚                     86˚             14.28
35˚                     95˚             14.17
40˚                     104˚            14.05
45˚                     113˚             13.93
50˚                     122˚             13.82

As we see in the chart (at +77F) the CTEK 25000 has a 14.4v, not a 14.7v baseline.  Still, the chart gives us an idea of how the charging voltage varies when compensated for temperature.

Edited by Old Crow, 21 October 2017 - 02:27 PM.

#18 rruff

rruff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationRuidoso, NM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 05:54 PM

Stock at the moment.   I added Firestone air bags to the F150 and liked them but did have some leak-down issues (I had to air-up every few weeks).  I'm happy to see the Tundra installation is relatively easy  (no drilling) but before committing to bags again I want to do some more reading.   I know there's lots of good info on the subject here on Wander the West but need to read through it carefully.

I have heard that poly bushings on the lower shackle pivot are helpful. And leaves are a good way to go if your camper will be on the truck most of the time.

Not sure if I'd want a rear swaybar. Definitely better on road, but not so good off. I'll probably end up getting stiffer shocks and ditch the front swaybar too, but it will be awhile before I get the camper built.

#19 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 03:53 PM

I have heard that poly bushings on the lower shackle pivot are helpful. And leaves are a good way to go if your camper will be on the truck most of the time.

Not sure if I'd want a rear swaybar. Definitely better on road, but not so good off. I'll probably end up getting stiffer shocks and ditch the front swaybar too, but it will be awhile before I get the camper built.

Thanks for the tips, rruff.  I'll look into them!

#20 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:01 AM

Congrats on the Tundra!

I have a 2014 DC and love it...  well, other than the MPGs!  hahaha

Mine is fully built and has about 30k of DIRT miles on it.

My strong advice is good ROTORS and pads!!  Even stock, mine went through stock rotors fast with just a Leer shell and a ton of camping/photo gear!

Airbags make a world of difference.  I did the firestones, and install was under 2 hours, zero leaks in 2 years and lots of abuse.  I run them at 20psi on the road and 5 off road.  The help tremendously with body sway and load carrying.

I installed the 2.5" Old Man Emu Suspension with an add a leaf in the rear pack.

I know not everyone likes to "lift" their trucks, but this is the 6th truck ive run Old Man Emu on and cant say enough good things.

People always compliment on the ride.  Fully loaded going down a fireroad, it feels like a luxury sedan on the freeway!

Any questions let me know, ive built many Toyotas and used to be a tech contributor to Toyota Trails!

Cheers

Kevin

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users