• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jordanball33

jordanball33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:33 AM

If you had 6 days to spend west of Oklahoma City, where would you go?

I would like to see the Grand Canyon first and foremost.

Other places I've considered:

Devils Tower/Yellowstone

Arches

Mount Rushmore/Black Hills

I know there are many places in-between that I'm missing. I know I can't do all 4 of those in the timeframe I have. 

What am I missing?

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,591 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:44 AM

You could do the Black Hills/Custer St Park/Wind Cave NP/Badlands NP or a subset of them. All are close together.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:21 AM

What time of year?  Yellowstone is going to be getting snowed in before much longer, conversely doing the Utah parks in the summer can be really hot.

I'd look at Rocky Mountain National Park, Grand Canyon North Rim, Zion, Bryce and then back across on 70.but then I have a preference for cactus, slickrock and the southwest.  I added RMNP in because it's on the way...

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#4 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:33 AM

950 miles OK City to South Rim, 870 miles to Black Hills, 1283 miles to Yellowstone; unless you have multiple drivers and drive straight through, you are not going to have much time at any.

If Grand Canyon is your main objective, I would concider Petrified Forest NP on the way to Grand Canyon South Rim.  The North Rim is further but is less crowded and has dispersed camping in Kaibab National Forest (check to see if North Rim is open, late spring or early fall snow can close the North entrance, the South Rim is open all year).

Devil's Tower is on the western edge of the Black Hills, about an hours drive from Spearfish, SD.  Lots of hiking and dispersed camping in the Black Hills.  Developed campgrounds are usually full July and August and impossible around Sturgis Bike Week (but bikers don't boondock).

Teton NP is just South of Yellowstone.  Dispersed camping and private campgrounds (need reservations in summer) outside of Yellowstone.  Finding a campsite in Yellowstone is difficult in the summer.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#5 BILL98388

BILL98388

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:58 AM

Monument Valley, Painted Desert, Goosenecks of the San Juan, Mesa Verde, Canyon deChelly..

Bill

2014 Grandby on 2015 4x4 Tundra (8-ft bed)

Steilacoom, WA

#6 OutToLunch

OutToLunch

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:19 AM

Six days isn't much time.  

Depends on time of year, which rim of the Grand Canyon you want to see and what you want to do.  My recommendations are colored by my liking to hike.

My recommendations would be:

If you go South Rim, come in on I40 and catch Pertified Forest/Painted Desert and Meteor Crater on the way to the South Rim.  You'll probably be getting to the Canyon pretty late on the second day if you push it.  At the Canyon, be sure to go out the West Rim Drive to Hermit's Rest.  On the way back leave by the east entrance, head up through Tuba to Monument Valley (remember that it is on the Navajo Reservation)  and then up to Valley of the Gods.  Drive up the Mogi Dugway and camp up on the rim.  Or skip Monument Valley and head over to Chinle and Canyon de Chelly.

Alternatively, if you go South Rim, Flagstaff area has some interesting things to see.  Northeast of Flag you have Sunset Crater and Wupatki national monuments.  West of Flagstaff, there is a lava cave which you can hike through.  There is also Red Mountain northwest of Flag on 180 (way to Canyon).  Red Mountain is a short, relatively flat hike to a cider cone volcano that is u-shaped and has hoodoos.  East of Flag is Walnut Canyon.  To the south, you have the red rocks of Oak Creek and Sedona (plus a billion or so tourists) and the old mining town of Jerome.

If you go North Rim, weather is more iffy outside of summer and early fall.  North Rim closes in winter.  Some nice camp sites off of Fire Road 632 (hope the number is correct).  From North Rim, you can hit Zion and Bryce national parks.  If weather is permitting, you could take House Rock Road east of the Jacobs Lake off of 89A.  House Rock Road is dirt and can flood out in spring.  Nice hike in Buckskin Glutch (Paria River) which is the longest slot canyon in the southwest.  Weather permitting, Cottonwood Canyon Road takes you from 89 up to Kodachrome Basin State Park and Bryce.  I'm a mountain guy, not a canyon rat but Cottonwood Canyon Road takes you through some amazing scenery.

#7 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:57 AM

You could do the Black Hills/Custer St Park/Wind Cave NP/Badlands NP or a subset of them. All are close together.

I second that!  Custer is one of my favorite places.  It's like a mini-Yellowstone w/o the crowds.  Now I don't about the weather/timing though.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#8 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:04 PM

Hi jordanball33
I would second time of year makes a difference. South commercialized, and can be pricey, I've herd. North rim national parks access open May to late Oct. or Nov. you could do both that would be different perspective. There is a remote area open year round monitor the weather.
Six days goes fast, what ever you decide I would limit distance between site visit's and try keeping them localized or in the same direction as return trip home. Making the most distant destination where you go first, then as you make stops going home your headed in the right direction. Someone posted 950 miles that's 19 hours of travel time each way x's 2. Six days is 144 hours.
OutToLunch lists sounds nice list of places to visit.

Russ

http://www.zionnatio...om/toroweap.htm

https://www.nps.gov/.../conditions.htm
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,591 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:46 PM

I second that!  Custer is one of my favorite places.  It's like a mini-Yellowstone w/o the crowds.  Now I don't about the weather/timing though.

Another place like Custer is Teddy Roosevelt NP in North Dakota. Maybe 200 miles from Rapid City.

I am haunted by waters

#10 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:25 PM

If your going to the south rim of the GC +1 on the Petrified Forest, Meteor Crater, Sunset Crater, Wapatki & Walnut Canyon. You could also stop by and visit Homolovi State Park as you pass through Holbrook right off the I-40.

If you head south of Flagstaff on I-17 check out the Verde Valley south of Sedona. There you can tour Tuzigoot, Montezuma's Castle & Montezuma's Well.

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users