battery maintenence long term storage

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:04 AM

Searched topic but can't find much info. I need some advise on long term storage of my camper. Mostly, I have questions about my camper battery and the truck's dual battery maintenance. The camper has 100 watts roof top panel and Trimetric installed to monitor single marine battery. I have a dual battery system in the truck and I was wondering if I can leave the camper and truck for up to six months without any issues. I won't be able to check on the camper and truck while I am gone, but I may be able to ask friends to check it for me. Hate to leave my home away from home for so long, but.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Any other issues members have experienced and shared would be great too.

#2 Ripperj

Ripperj

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:24 AM

Need more information to provide useful response. Is camper outside? Covered? (Solar exposed?)
Do you see freezing weather?

#3 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:15 PM

If it is parked outside where it gets at least occasional sun than it should be fine just to sit.   The solar panel will keep the camper battery charged, and if your dual battery system (which one do you have?) is dual sensing it will also keep the truck battery charged.  We leave our camper parked for weeks to occasionally months at a time, leave everything connected, and our batteries are always charged and ready to go. 

Edited by rando, 23 October 2017 - 04:16 PM.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#4 Mickey Bitsko

Mickey Bitsko

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:01 AM

I'm a little curious about leaving in the down position over winter in Sub-Zero temps,is it damaging to the vinyl?
I clean and 303 protect it before I store for the long sleep.

#5 Mickey Bitsko

Mickey Bitsko

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:02 AM

Forgot to add, it's outside, and I do always remove the snow.

#6 Trailbob

Trailbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Idaho

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:32 PM

We have a 2015 Silverado 2500 with dual batteries, and two batteries in the the FWC Hawk along with 160W of solar up top.  In the summer, the solar will keep the truck and camper at 100%.  But in the winter, with the lower sun angle near Boise, it will not bring it up to 100% each day.  If the camper and truck batteries are disconnected, then it will keep the camper at 100% in the winter. 

I have never seen how low it would go down in the winter while the truck and camper are connected; but I think it has stayed in the 90's%.  I should clarify that my truck and camper batteries are "hard wired" together, but there is a solenoid between the truck's starting and aux battery.  I pull the fuse between the camper and the truck's aux battery when I want the camper separated.  The truck's electronics are what draws the batteries down to a certain before the solenoid between the starting and aux battery opens.  If I left my truck and camper connected over the winter, my guess is that they would not go dead, but that the camper would not be charged to 100% on a regular basis.

#7 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:51 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Camper and truck will be outside and uncovered. It does freeze around here, and my water system will get a good flushing with compressed air, etc. Not a issue. I will treat the roof top again with 303. I have a dual battery set up in the truck, not sure what "system" I have, Rando. Trailbob, yes the main thing I am worried about is all the juice sucking electronic in the truck. My truck and camper battery is connected via Blue Sea. The dual batteries were expensive and that is the main thing I am worrying about. The camper battery will be upgraded to dual set up later next year, so no worries. I might take out some fuses in the truck and that may help conserve battery life. Thanks for all the feedback.

#8 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:25 AM

Hummm, I just had a rare brilliant idea...I was worried about some snow accumulating on the roof top panel and if I get six inches of wet snow, and freezes. My panel may not get any sun for awhile. I should remount the panel angled toward the winter sun and if I raise one side 20 degree or more, it could allow snow to slide off too. Thanks for the inspiration here.

Edited by muttmaster, 27 October 2017 - 01:27 AM.

#9 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:49 AM

Hopefully you have already thought of and are taking measures to deal with condensation during storage.

If not you can do a search or I can provide a link to some info.

Regards,

Craig

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#10 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:56 AM

Craig, I didn't think about condensation  at all. Humidity is pretty low usually in the winter around here @4000' high desert env. . I was just going to crack front sliding window open a bit. Maybe tape screen over opening to keep critters out. Any suggestion and links would be appreciated it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users