Photo
- - - - -

My FWC dealer went bankrupt last week, and I pick it up tomorrow.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 MattC

MattC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:06 PM

I have wanted one of these for a long time, but could never see one in person. 

Finally found a dealer (American RV) in Tigard Oregon, thats about 3hrs away from me.

So I bought one from them at the RV show in Portland.

It was actually a model they had on order for stock, and I was still able to select all the options, so I got it a lot faster than if I had ordered it.

I have been super excited about it, it's been sitting at the dealer since Oct 31, and I am scheduled to have it installed tomorrow.

but he gives me a call 2 days ago saying that the dealer is closing down because of bankruptcy.

He will still be able to deliver and install, but my check from the credit union needs to be made to FWC instead of to American RV.

Getting the check re issued was the easy part.

My biggest concern is if I have any major problems with it that require warranty work.

not looking forward to having to navigate any customer service drama that my occur because of all the confusion. 

We shall see 

#2 kkug

kkug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationEscondido Ca

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:18 PM

Please let us know what happens !

#3 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

Your warranty is with Four Wheel. At worst you will have "a fun drive to Woodland to have the work done". At best they will contract with a shop in Portland to do the work.

Questions or concerns check with the factory.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#4 MattC

MattC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:42 PM

I know all the warranty is through FWC, and the reason I had to change the check is that I am buying it directly from FWC now, instead of the dealer.

but if i have to take it to FWC to get work done

That's an 11hr drive!!!

#5 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:56 PM

That's a bummer. Bankruptcy isn't necessarily bad if the dealer stays open through a reorganization...unless he is going to close his doors.  :(

That said I hope everything continues to operate through the early stages of ownership. 

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#6 Mark G

Mark G

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationMeadow Vista, CA

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:02 PM

Get the number of their best mechanic so you can hire him directly if you need to.  Not the cheapest way to go but it could save you time. 

BTW, not much goes wrong with these things. My 2000 Eagle has been in the shop one time 'cause of my own error.

#7 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:43 PM

Yikes...too bad, Tigard seemed to have a thriving business...does anybody know why they went under?  We bought our Hawk from there Spring 2016...great service...nice guy running it, Jeff Martin.

Doubt "reorganization" for such a small business will occur.   Is this an issue with FWC sales/service?

Edited by Wallowa, 09 November 2017 - 03:44 PM.

#8 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:00 PM

For what it is worth, I bought mine from the factory in Woodland, which due to traffic is 3 hours away.  I have had two things come up under warranty, the mounts for the exterior roof lifts, and a leak at the yakima tracks.

In both cases the factory was very happy to have me go there and they would fix the issues.  But 3 hours each way, plus fix time, equals an entire day.  So in both cases they rapidly sent me everything needed to do the repairs myself and I did them, in a couple hours, at my leisure.

My point is that many warranty issues are minor and the factory gives you the option on how to get the work done.  I like having a choice and driving, for me, is a lot less fun than using tools. 

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#9 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:00 PM

The dealer here in Texas closed right after we made our purchase and delivery. Not bankruptcy just was not working out for him. I have had little or no issues. The guys at FWC have stepped up with every stupid question I have had  and with the little issues I've had too. Sorry for your closure but you can and will still enjoy the Camper!!! See you on the trails soon :)

#10 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:00 PM

Get it while you can! Don't sweat warranty stuff unless you have a reason to. 

Many of us bought ours used with no warranty and no dealer anywhere near. No regrets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users