• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:34 AM

Great idea for a trip- tracking down interesting relatives. Interesting to speculate what life was like there. My Dad's family were ranchers in South Dakota before the Depression (when they lost everything in drought and severe winters). I've often thought it would be fun to try and find their ranches and see what became of them. I did track down my Grandfather's grave on one trip- that was interesting!

We too like to walk in the dark. I was just reading today about the increasing light pollution all over the world, being accelerated by the spread of LED lighting.

Thanks for your continuing report. Very fun to follow along.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#22 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:27 AM

The ski3pins getting lost? Had me going for a minute. Erv and dementia hit a little too close to home. I suspect this was our last family thanksgiving. 

My second Michael Diggonnet book arrived yesterday. Seriously thinking maybe DV for the New Year.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#23 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:11 AM

The ski3pins getting lost? Had me going for a minute. Erv and dementia hit a little too close to home. I suspect this was our last family thanksgiving. 

My second Michael Diggonnet book arrived yesterday. Seriously thinking maybe DV for the New Year.

Which book did you get?

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#24 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:17 PM

What a great story about Uncle Erv!  And he was a Seabee! I suppose his business, Ventura Electric, may have been in Ventura, CA, close to the western home of the Seabees at Port Hueneme.  Our Seabee son was stationed there or trained there twice during his career.  You can rest assured that today's Seabees hold the original Seabees in the highest esteem.

Two books were written about the Seabees during WWII as part of the efforts to promote recruiting and sell war bonds.  "Can Do: The Story of the Seabees", and "From Omaha to Okinawa" were written by William Bradford Huie, an older writer who enlisted and was assigned to a Seabee unit for the sole purpose of writing about them.  They're both great reads.  If you can find out what Naval Construction Battalion (NCB) Uncle Erv served with, Huie's books provide some details about the campaigns in which they fought.  And fight they did.  The Marines were scared to death of the Seabees, who tended to be rather trigger-happy while standing watch around their bases.

Hey, you kids weren't lost.  More like what Daniel Boone once said, "No, I was never lost. I was once bewildered for three weeks, but I was never lost".  

Foy

#25 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:36 PM

Nice stories, nice TR----just the right ending to T-Day!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#26 N'kwala

N'kwala

Geezelle

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationwest coast

Posted 26 November 2017 - 03:27 AM

thanks for another fine report.  I really like the idea of tracking down relatives.  And the '46 Pontiac--that was the first vehicle I ever rode in--fetched home from the maternity hospital.  Not that I remember, but my dad did keep vehicles for a long time, so I remember riding in it.  Neat big old car.

I had an uncle who logged up around Aberdeen, Washington.  Perhaps I should track him down one day.  He was my favourite uncle.

#27 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:38 PM

That was a great read! Thank you.

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#28 Bigfoot Dave

Bigfoot Dave

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:33 PM

I can't wait till the next Ski report. You two are the best. Old Injun back here says "me not lost, teepee lost". Seems to work with trucks and campers too. Happy holiday to all, Bigfoot Dave

#29 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:48 PM

Enjoyed your stories. By coincidence we were in Death Valley for a few days this month although in a different part of this huge area. We entered via Titus Canyon and returned home up 395. Wish we would have had more time, of course. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#30 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 366 posts
  • LocationHome is where you park it

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:41 AM

You two have quite a knack for picking out interesting places to explore in out of the way places.  Every time I read about DV I wish I lived a bit closer.  

Thanks as always for the report.

2020 Ford Ranger, 2012 Eagle

http://www.occidentalist.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users