• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 michgoblue

michgoblue

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:44 PM

I have a platform built in my Colorado Duramax that I am replacing with a flat water tank instead - 27 gallons I think it was.  Right now I have to raise my Phoenix up 5.5 inches or so to clear the bedrails, and I have 2x4s covered with 3/4" plywood and a rubberized mat as a base.  I found a 4.5" tall water tank and will put plywood under it, 4x4s in front and on the sides, add plywood on top, probably hinging the top to remove the tank more easily.  The tank itself is 51" long and some 32 inches wide.  I should have a long space next to it for a shovel and such and a wide space at the end for extra hoses and cables and things.  Planning on running hoses right to the facet from this tank and removing my undersink 12 gallon tank for more storage or maybe a hot water tank.  Anyway that's the project for Winter when I get around to it.

EDIT: Here is the tank I am using - https://jazzsales.co...x32wx51l-27gal/

Edited by michgoblue, 22 January 2018 - 04:53 PM.

#12 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:20 PM

My previous Hawk had to be raised 3" or so when I went from an '03 to '14 Tundra. Initially I just put 4x4s under the camper and I wanted to create some storage under the camper so I built a platform that included a pull out drawer. The platform was attached to the bottom of the camper. I have since bought another used Hawk that has to be raised less than 2" to clear the side of the truck bed so I just throw some 2x6's under the camper and haven't felt the need to build another platform for it. Here's a pic of my old Hawk.

Attached Thumbnails

• fwc drawer - 1.jpg

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#13 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:00 PM

I like that drawer idea. I've seen that on flatbed models built into the bed platform- seems so useful.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#14 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:00 PM

I have a platform built in my Colorado Duramax that I am replacing with a flat water tank instead - 27 gallons I think it was.  Right now I have to raise my Phoenix up 5.5 inches or so to clear the bedrails, and I have 2x4s covered with 3/4" plywood and a rubberized mat as a base.  I found a 4.5" tall water tank and will put plywood under it, 4x4s in front and on the sides, add plywood on top, probably hinging the top to remove the tank more easily.  The tank itself is 51" long and some 32 inches wide.  I should have a long space next to it for a shovel and such and a wide space at the end for extra hoses and cables and things.  Planning on running hoses right to the facet from this tank and removing my undersink 12 gallon tank for more storage or maybe a hot water tank.  Anyway that's the project for Winter when I get around to it.

EDIT: Here is the tank I am using - https://jazzsales.co...x32wx51l-27gal/

I have been looking for a tank like this for some time! (If only they made a 3 1/2" H one at 20 gallons)... That would work with my Eagle on The Duramax Colorado!!! Thanks for the link

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#15 michgoblue

michgoblue

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:52 PM

I found only one 3.5" tank and it had a 1" section just out on the bottom as a drain so really didn't work as well.  If I didn't have to lift my camper so much then this one would be a little tall, but as it is I think it will work out just right.  Once I get it set up and installed I will post up pics.

#16 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:59 AM

That sounds interesting.... if you happen to get a link for that pop me a PM .
Like to see your photos too.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#17 Mayday

Mayday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast, CA

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:26 PM

Hey quick ? For anyone still following this thread. I have a 13 Silverado 1500 and was told I need to build a platform with 2x4’s to accommodate fitting a 2018 hawk. Has anyone with a Chevy/GMC 6’5 bed experienced this problem?

Cheers!

Hi all!

We've had our FWC Hawk for just over 2 years now, and have managed about 65 nights or so out in the Utah desert(s) and at race tracks.

The camper fit perfectly (well, maybe a little high) in my 2008 Silverado Duramax.

I've just "upgraded" to a 2017 Superduty, and as many of you know, the roof height is much taller, causing the underside of the camper to contact the truck roof.

As some others have done, I simply screwed 2x4s to the bottom of the camper. This lift was enough to fix the truck-clearance issue, however...

..I'm wondering if there's a more elegant solution? I'm not really excited about seeing exposed 2x4s under my camper every time I get in it.

Does someone make a "platform" or other non-home-depot solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance!
--Bill

#18 Mayday

Mayday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast, CA

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:58 PM

I ended up going with the foam under the hawk. This is how it sits after lifting the jacks. Thank you everyone for the advice! 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2425.jpg

#19 drumwood

drumwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 10:26 PM

I’m planning on using Fomular to raise my camper. Is it somewhat “sticky” once the camper is on? Am I correct in thinking I won’t need some kind of a rubber mat to keep the camper from sliding around?

#20 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 15 August 2023 - 03:42 AM

i use Fomular, no rubber mat.  No problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users