• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:27 PM

Friend Terry and I just returned from our annual 9 day trip to the beautiful Saline Valley hot Springs. Weather for the first 6.5 days was beautiful. Temps 45* Low - 85* high and no wind. Well no wind till Saturday the 10th at 3 pm. Than it started blowing 40 mph gusting to 50 for the next 26 hours. Very glad I was in the "Eagle". 

Terry , not so happy, since he sold his Hawk. He now sleeps  in a Honda Pilot. Unfortunately with 25 hours of wind there is no place he can get out of it and the Eagle with the bed deployed is too small for two adult males.

Sorry Terry, you need to buy another camper !!

No pictures. Google "Saline Valley hot springs" in Death Valley. Tons of pictures non line.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 17 February 2018 - 07:28 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#2 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:27 AM

Hi Jim

Glad you had a good visit despite the weather.

Have you ever approached Saline Hot Springs from the north ?

What was the time of year and nature of the road ?

Many thanks

David Graves

PS Could you expound on "bolted on?"

Edited by DavidGraves, 18 February 2018 - 08:48 PM.

#3 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:44 PM

Mr Graves

Wife and I came out from the north last year. I think it was early April. I likes that route much better. Less track across the desert floor and the route thru the mountain was nice there was still snow, but not on the road.
Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#4 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:10 AM

Thanks Russ

I had heard it described as deeply rutted and best traveled southward for being pretty steep downhill....make any sense to you?

David

#5 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 19 February 2018 - 01:08 AM

North Pass is easy going right now. I came in and out last month with no issues. I prefer it to South Pass due to less off-road miles and it just seems easier to coast downhill most of the way to Bat Rock Road. Both ways are no issue right now since the county has been grading fairly regularly. If you go in one way and come out the other you get to see quite a variance of terrain, geology, and flora.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#6 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 19 February 2018 - 01:44 AM

Hi David

This was last year. A lot can change, if your info is current I’d go with that. ETAV8R says it’s good.
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#7 pollux

pollux

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:13 AM

Jim:

I plan to drive from Big Pine, along Death Valley Road, to Whippoorwill Canyon, going south and looking for trilobite fossils in Waucoba canyon, then driving southeast to Saline Hotsppring. I am afraid of driving on washboard road because of camper bumping. Are you familiar with this route and how is the road condition? 

Edited by pollux, 21 February 2018 - 12:14 AM.

2015 FWC Eagle, 2016 Tacoma 4wd

#8 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:17 AM

The latest word I’ve heard from folks who traveled to the Saline Valley for Presidents Day was that there was some snow and ice on North Pass but with 4WD and care it was fine. It’s been recently graded so I don’t think the wash boards are a big issue at this time.
My wife is into fossil hunting for trilobites, are you willing to share info on where to look in Waucoba Canyon for the little ancient critters? I was thinking about heading over that way soon myself to check out something I saw on Google Earth and would like an excuse to scout that area as well.

#9 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:16 AM

looking for trilobite fossils in Waucoba canyon

Fossils are cool finds.  We've seen crinoids in Perdido Canyon, off the Race Track Rd.

I think DVNP doesn't allow collecting, just photos and memories.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#10 Backroad Joe

Backroad Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPinon Hills, CA

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:32 AM

fossil hunting for trilobites

Please don't be that guy. You can't even take home a souvenir rock from any national park. Leave it were you found it.

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 5.7L Hemi, 2011 Palomino Bronco B800, 1968 Jeep CJ5

KG6YQQ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users