• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#11 pollux

pollux

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:40 AM

I know other places beyond Death Valley NP boundary where you can take home the fossils legally. I dont need to take fossils from DV.  

2015 FWC Eagle, 2016 Tacoma 4wd

#12 pollux

pollux

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:42 AM

The latest word I’ve heard from folks who traveled to the Saline Valley for Presidents Day was that there was some snow and ice on North Pass but with 4WD and care it was fine. It’s been recently graded so I don’t think the wash boards are a big issue at this time.
My wife is into fossil hunting for trilobites, are you willing to share info on where to look in Waucoba Canyon for the little ancient critters? I was thinking about heading over that way soon myself to check out something I saw on Google Earth and would like an excuse to scout that area as well.

i can share the info with you, please send me a message

#13 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:59 AM

No worries, I know you can’t collect in the park and wouldn’t consider it, it’s more about having a focal point to the journey, something new, something different to go check out.

#14 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:15 AM

Kinda along the lines of something interesting to go check out, does anyone know what this is?
37.0788530, -118.0095740
Forgive me if I screwed this up, I’m not sure how to post map coordinates, these are the coordinates of something I spotted on Google Maps and I was thinking about seeing if I could find it to see what it is.

#15 RONR

RONR

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationMarin County, California

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:13 AM

Must have just missed Jim. I was there on February 6 & 7. Did North Pass both in and out. Going in and out via North Pass was not the original plan, but that’s another story. Easy going even with a small stretch of ice just as you go over the pass and start heading down to Saline Valley. Weather was great at the hot springs but we hit the wind big time in the Joshua Tree Forest and then in Golar Canyon a few days later. I’m cleaning up my photos and I’ll be doing a trip report including the other story.

Ron

#16 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,340 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:36 PM

Kinda along the lines of something interesting to go check out, does anyone know what this is?
37.0788530, -118.0095740
Forgive me if I screwed this up, I’m not sure how to post map coordinates, these are the coordinates of something I spotted on Google Maps and I was thinking about seeing if I could find it to see what it is.

Format your latitude and longitude coordinates including degrees and north latitude and west longitude and it looks like this -

37.0788530°N 118.0095740°W

This can be copied and now pasted directly into Google Earth and everyone can spot three alien spacecraft saucers hidden behind a pinyon pine. :)

My initial response is three old watering tanks for cattle grazing but the concentric rings are too even in size. The roads show no recent use either for placement or trips in to monitor whatever is there.

So what is it?

Looks like you'll be making a trip in to document the site for all of us. :)

Good find.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#17 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:25 PM

Not too soon as there is most likely some snow up in the higher elevations. There are lots of surprises all over the maps. My guess is guzzlers for wildlife. Don't get beamed up!

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#18 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:37 AM

Thanks RONR and Ski

There is a water source near it...a pond or man made "tank"

My vote is for water tanks....clearly a road leads to the site.

Let us know !  

#19 pollux

pollux

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:48 AM

Does North Pass goes through Dedeckera Canyon?  Not an easy road to drive.

https://youtu.be/M07eLuZbL_M

Edited by pollux, 22 February 2018 - 01:16 AM.

#20 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,340 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:33 AM

Does North Pass goes through Dedeckera Canyon?  Not an easy road to drive.

https://youtu.be/M07eLuZbL_M

No

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users