Photo
- - - - -

Top-down use: how often do you sleep in/use your FWC with the top down?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:40 PM

The only time I lowered the top and slept in the camper, top-down, was in very high winds while camped on the crest of the White Mts, eastern California.  Gusts over 70 mph....

Before I bed down on the couch...

To clarify: I slept on the couch without swinging the back over as a bed-widener. In other words, I slept on it the same as if I slept on my couch at home.  A little narrow, but it worked -- I slept.

A few times when I've napped in the top-down configuration I did the same -- didn't swing the back over.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#22 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:41 PM

It was really funny. And even while I was so scared, I was laughing at myself. I knew it was kinda ridiculous, but at the same time, I wasn't convinced. hahahaha! Next times I went up there, I camped in a location that has some low trees and is further from the ledge.

Didn't get near as windy over there!

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#23 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:23 PM

At least you weren't near a creek. Hard to sleep when you have visions of flash floods in your mind!

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#24 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:18 AM

To clarify: I slept on the couch without swinging the back over as a bed-widener. In other words, I slept on it the same as if I slept on my couch at home.  A little narrow, but it worked -- I slept.

A few times when I've napped in the top-down configuration I did the same -- didn't swing the back over.

Myself as well.  Just the odd nap.  No front dinette... rollover couch.

The time I find myself doing this the most is when driving around town on a Sat or Sunday afternoon shopping.  I don't want to go home.  Having a 15 minute nap is nice.  It's kind of fun to go back there and relax, while the world around you is abuzz.

#25 Piney

Piney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:05 PM

I spent the second night ever in our Hawk in stealth mode in a condo parking lot in SLC. I awoke disoriented in the middle of the night to a screaming alarm beeping. It was the CO alarm, I had used up most of the oxygen within the confines of the closed up camper. Had no idea it was that airtight. Opened a side window, and worried for awhile that my cover was blown. Moral of the story, crack a window or the door open if sleeping clamped down.

#26 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:26 PM

No need to leave window or door open. Instead, open turnbuckle door & ceiling vent.

Bonus benefit: sound of snoring emanating from Fantastic vent or turnbuckle door is likely much less than screaming alarm. ;)

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#27 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:42 AM

I spent the second night ever in our Hawk in stealth mode in a condo parking lot in SLC. I awoke disoriented in the middle of the night to a screaming alarm beeping. It was the CO alarm, I had used up most of the oxygen within the confines of the closed up camper. Had no idea it was that airtight. Opened a side window, and worried for awhile that my cover was blown. Moral of the story, crack a window or the door open if sleeping clamped down.

That's a scary story.  So glad your alarm worked and woke you.

I'm a big advocate of sleeping with a window open.  I was just camping at -13F with a wind chill on top of that and I slept with a window a 1/4 way open.  I try to open the passenger side window to lessen the chance of CO gas from the furnace entering the camper.

I'm not a big fan of opening the turn buckle doors when sleeping as I hate the thought of a mouse getting in.  I just had one crawl up me on the trip I was just on.  I was eating chips and watching Netflix in a cook house with a stove.  Things were pretty cozy until the mouse crawled up onto my t-shirt.  It freaked me out.  I woke up that night freaked out and it's been on my mind a few times since then.  So gross.

#28 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:28 AM

I made a screened turnbuckle door cover.  Easy to do with a chunk of 1/8" plywood and some window screening.  No mice or critters for me!

#29 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:00 PM

I'm not a big fan of opening the turn buckle doors when sleeping as I hate the thought of a mouse getting in.  I just had one crawl up me on the trip I was just on.  I was eating chips and watching Netflix in a cook house with a stove.  Things were pretty cozy until the mouse crawled up onto my t-shirt.  It freaked me out.  I woke up that night freaked out and it's been on my mind a few times since then.  So gross.

Speaking of gross your story reminded me of the time when I was in graduate school in TX and was sleeping on a mattress on the floor of a building in the marina in preparation for an extended offshore research cruise. We needed to get up at 0400 to leave by 0600 for some reason.. we hit the sack about 9 pm the night before and I was soon asleep. About 10:30 I suddenly woke up with the feeling of something crawling on me. I turned on my flashlight and the floor was literally covered with those big flying cockroaches (palmetto bugs). I jumped up screaming and woke everyone else up....needless to say no one got any sleep that night....

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#30 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:13 AM

Speaking of gross your story reminded me of the time when I was in graduate school in TX and was sleeping on a mattress on the floor of a building in the marina in preparation for an extended offshore research cruise. We needed to get up at 0400 to leave by 0600 for some reason.. we hit the sack about 9 pm the night before and I was soon asleep. About 10:30 I suddenly woke up with the feeling of something crawling on me. I turned on my flashlight and the floor was literally covered with those big flying cockroaches (palmetto bugs). I jumped up screaming and woke everyone else up....needless to say no one got any sleep that night....

Ewwwww...

thanks for sharing lol :)

How disturbing.  I bet it still effects you in your sleep once in a while.

Vic.  I agree, great idea.  I think I'll do that to one of my turn buckle doors (rear driver side).

I open it to cook quite often and admittedly I have opened it while taking a nap with the roof down.  I was never really sleeping.

Vic, perhaps you can post a pic if you have the time.  I'm sure many of us would like to see your design.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users