25 replies to this topic

#11 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:48 PM

Everyone has a different approach...but we purchased an indoor/outdoor tight weave [1/2" ?] piece of carpet [w/non-skid backing] @ $25? and then used cardboard to mock up a template for cutting carpet for what was needed to cover the floor of the Hawk..ended up with two pieces, one under side table and then large one for the rest of the floor...nice to walk on barefoot, easy to sweep or clean, or remove to shake and is light weight; plus some thermal advantage...kept a small piece for just inside the door on top of the main floor carpet below the refrig to catch most loose dirt and to hold the porta-potty inside the alcove to the right of the door...potty can't side out when we are bouncing around off road..

Bonus was the carpet color matched the cabinet 'beige'? color..

I believe your table is forward but still easy to fit in a carpet...great camper aren't they!

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 17 March 2018 - 11:49 PM.

#12 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:13 AM

We use old car back seat floor mats outside the camper and just inside the door to catch dirt. We bought a couple carpet scraps at a local carpet store for $10 each big enough to cover the floor. We cut one to fit the floor exactly and saved the other one for eventual replacement. We pull the carpet after a trip and vacuum it and the camper. Works well- comfortable for bare feet and a bit warmer.

Fly rods travel in their case in the camper. I'm not usually breaking them down multiple times a day so don't feel the need for carrying them assembled.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#13 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:59 AM

I bought this $15 foam sleeping bag pad at Walmart to cut-to-fit the floor.  My initial thought was to protect the floor from scratches from my Front Runner boxes.  But, we quickly discovered (in winter) the fantastic R-value of the foam.  Even when below freezing outside, the foam is the same temp as the interior while the camper floor is same temp as outside---COLD!

I used remaining pieces to line pot/pan cabinet and other rattle-trap compartments.  

Screenshot_2018-03-18_07.54.27.png

This sleeping bag foam pad seems to be available at many WalMart stores across the country.

Super easy to clean.  Slide it out of the camper, shake it off and toss it back in before loading the gear.

Fly rods travel in an old, early 1990s travel case from Steve Abel.

Similar to this one he now makes under his name...

Like most everything now...very expensive these days for what you get.

Screenshot_2018-03-18_08.03.20.png

Edited by Advmoto18, 18 March 2018 - 12:11 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#14 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:50 PM

I had a set of suction cup fly rod holders before I bought my FWC Eagle shell. I mount one suction cup on the hood of my Ranger and I remove the suction cup from the other holder. The holder then screws into one of the "A" nuts that came with my Yakima roof rails. I was amazed that the threads were exact. Sometimes you just get lucky. The Yakima Roof rails now hold two Yakima canoe racks and two solar panels. I was able to buy additional "A" nuts online cheaper than from Yakima.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#15 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 18 March 2018 - 01:00 PM

We will have to meet up over there one of these days. I’ve only been there once.

Just let me know.  Waiting for a few, nice, mid-week days when I can go out and camp but I go out a lot so I'm usually there (but not w/ my camper).  Here's what I've been catching!

Attached Thumbnails

• fish.jpg

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#16 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:24 PM

Hi all - took a trip to the Owyhee canyonlands in Oregon to do some fly fishing along the Owyhee River.  Great scenery, nice campsites along the river, some BLM roads to hike with the dogs, and plenty of chukar for the dogs to bust.

2hgeb5t.jpg

After the trip, I had a few ideas about features for our Hawk, Odi.  

Floor mat - what are you using for a floor mat?  Has anyone cut one of these weatherproof floor mats to fit their camper?  I measured the floor and the dimensions of the largest rectangle space is approx 3'9" x 2'2.5".  The mat below comes in 3'9" x 2'9", which would only require me to trim a bit and would extend below the fridge.  Not cheap, tho!

http://www.orvis.com...ASABEgJ5S_D_BwE

Has anyone used a fly rod rack that mounts on the the hood of the truck and roof like in the image below?  My concern is that that rack won't work properly given the cabover part of the Hawk.  Any suggestions for carrying a 9' fly rod with the camper is appreciated!

2psm612.jpg

Interested in your Owyhee trip. What route/roads did you take? How much was off-road and were there any road conditions a person should be aware of?? I plan on taking  Hwy 95N from CA to Jordan Valley and after that will just be wandering. I'd appreciate any recommendations on places to visit- mainly for good scenery and hiking. I have a Tundra 4x4 and don't mind some mild off-roading.

Thanks!!

Thanks

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#17 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,591 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:38 PM

If you’re just going to fish the area around the dam, you should be fine. Other roads, like the one into Leslie Gulch get real slick if they are wet. I’d talk to BLM about conditions as a part of your trip planning.

Check out Occidental’s blogs for trip ideas.
http://www.wanderthe...oats/?hl=owyhee

http://www.occidenta...ine/#26/10/2016

I am haunted by waters

#18 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:13 PM

I just cut a mat from home depot. I have a front dinette so a small piece goes under the refer and never seems to be a problem. You can also look for the remnants from the bulk carpet for sale.

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

#19 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:06 PM

Interested in your Owyhee trip. What route/roads did you take? How much was off-road and were there any road conditions a person should be aware of?? I plan on taking  Hwy 95N from CA to Jordan Valley and after that will just be wandering. I'd appreciate any recommendations on places to visit- mainly for good scenery and hiking. I have a Tundra 4x4 and don't mind some mild off-roading.

Thanks!!

Thanks

You might want to swing by the Steens if the weather is nice.  Amazing area!

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#20 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:26 PM

If you’re just going to fish the area around the dam, you should be fine. Other roads, like the one into Leslie Gulch get real slick if they are wet. I’d talk to BLM about conditions as a part of your trip planning.

Check out Occidental’s blogs for trip ideas.
http://www.wanderthe...oats/?hl=owyhee

http://www.occidenta...ine/#26/10/2016

Thanks for the links!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users