• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 arg

arg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:28 AM

What size of pop-up tent do you find is a adequate for your needs. I fully understand everyone is different, with different needs, but, I'd still like to hear what size of pop-up would be great for 2 adults, no pets, and lots of gear.  I don't have a pick up truck yet, but I am looking at double cab or crew cab. Specifically, is a Raven Shell too small, or can two people make it work?

Edited by arg, 20 March 2018 - 05:12 PM.

#2 JCatt

JCatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne IN

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:28 PM

I like my Hawk, but was surprised how much roomier the Grandby felt only being 18 inches longer. Of course with a smaller camper/truck you have better mobility, less weight etc. There are always trade offs so if you have a chance to climb around in a few that might help. I would imagine one could make any of them work. 

Interestingly we chose the Hawk because it fit our truck at the time. When we bought a new truck it was based on the Hawks size! 

2014 FWC Hawk

#3 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:34 PM

We have an older Fleet (81-82), 7.5 feet long.. its make for a smaller truck so its a bit narrow. We spent 3 weeks in Baja and it was pretty comfortable with two adults and two dogs. We hate cooking inside as its tight. We just got an old Granby 8 foot long that we are renovating. Its clear the extra 6 inches in Width is going to be very nice. We have an F150 Super Crew 6.5 bed.. the Super Crew is very nice for extra gear, and dogs..

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#4 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:58 PM

Bigger is better-at least to me!  I have a 05 Granby and those extra feet /inches it has over the smaller models get really put to use.  it's just me and the dog and at night and during bad weather, we like our comfort.  The extra storage space/table top is great for putting that extra junk on/or in  it and until I got that new swing out table was where I ate when the weather was bad.

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#5 Batman

Batman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationWestern Slope CO

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:18 AM

My very initial impression is that two people in a Fleet can work but it takes some work to make it work. Specifically a willingness to down size the carry-on. I noticed a big difference even between the Hawk and Fleet in terms of space. Still its much better than our tent.

2013 Tacoma AC, 2017 FWC Fleet

#6 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:38 PM

Key factor to me in a pop up is the ability to sleep top down. This layout requirement would drive the size for us. IMO all these FWC are really small, I wouldn't really want to be smaller than our Granby, though in truth haven't tried. Perhaps a Hawk front dinette could work. Our old model has a side and front bench, a small closet, some galley side cupboards without internal water tank or batteries. All this provides for storage and we use all of it.

Ideal looks to be a Ganby Flat Bed with its top down dinette sleeping feature that would still allow good access to door, porta potti and room on the floor for fido or gear. But I'd want to confirm there'd be enough storage first...

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:51 AM

I have a Hawk but without the extended cab over.  My next FWC will have that, as being able to leave the "bed" setup and not intruding into the living/cooking area is important.  Other than that, with a shell model the Hawk is plenty big enough, and smaller is better when it comes to agility and the ability to go offroad.

#8 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:42 AM

Hello arg
Your question is very difficult IMO, unless someone who has a Raven and can tell you what it's like for them.
The difference in floor space using FWC measurements not including the bed is.

Raven 38.8 sq feet (70*80)

Grandby 53.33 sq feet (96*80)

Raven on a Tundra in the photo, Grandby on a 3/4 ton Crew cab. ( they are big) you mention Two people and a bunch of gear in a shell.
If your plan is to fill the raven with gear? And just sleep in the Raven just using it to haul the gear to your destination I think it would work.
For us that would not work, we stop and lift the back of the popup, make lunch, sit enjoy the moment. Sometimes my wife likes to lay down,while we travel( I know it might not be right,but what u gunna do).
If you want to really get off the beaten path the Tundra is probably better vehicle (smaller) might be better for you. We know right off we needed the 8ft camper for what we want to do. Please do not forget to evaluate your weight (gear) as it adds up fast and too small a vehicle can be a bummer.
Hope this helps a little bit, I like how others view their camper, made me realize we all use the campers a little differently.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#9 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:28 AM

I have a Hawk but without the extended cab over.  My next FWC will have that, as being able to leave the "bed" setup and not intruding into the living/cooking area is important.  Other than that, with a shell model the Hawk is plenty big enough, and smaller is better when it comes to agility and the ability to go offroad.

This is why we sold our 2002 Hawk and got a 2013 with the extended cabover. 

#10 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 March 2018 - 03:11 AM

I have a Grandby on a Ram 2500 standard cab with an 8 ft. box.  I wanted extra room in the camper rather than the truck cab, with just a beagle for traveling companion.  I do some moderate 4 wheeling and so far I have been able to go anywhere I wanted.

One of the things that happened by serendipity is I have a 34" wide floor, which makes it easy for two people to maneuver around each other.  I built my bed down across the front; makes it easy when I just want to stop and sleep without popping the top.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users