30 replies to this topic

#21 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:56 PM

More wonderful adventures-told you retirement was great! Except for for the ticks that is-those critters are curse of out door life and I rank them below even mosquitoes (they at least pollinate things)! Sill remember that time when me and a couple of law enforcement types were working in a canyon in NW Nevada and unknowingly walked through batch of sagebrush that was covered with 'em and next thing we knew we also were covered with them-head to foot-shirts off, everyone slapping each others back to knock them off, what a mess! That night a super tick search conducted by all! Still shutter to think about it!! That also the day we walked into a horse herd with a brand new young 'en  and a very aggressive ,stallion- but that's another story.

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#22 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:54 PM

Another one for the record books Ski. Thanks for taking us along. :)

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#23 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:14 AM

Regarding this unidentified Death Valley plant ...

gallery_2702_1185_113987.jpg

The Desert Rat Randy, at the wife's works says...

golden desert-snapdragon Mohavea breviflora.

So, try that and see if you agree.

BTW, good close up, it took Desert Rat Randy 1.2 seconds to make his guess at what it is.

#24 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:48 AM

I am trainable. :)

Thanks Alley-Kat! I agree on the identification, and please thank Desert Rat Randy too.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#25 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:18 PM

Wow, what a fun trip you all had.  It looked like you all missed the extra temps that would come only a month later.  You came across some beautiful blooms in DV--there was hardly anything blooming in Saline Valley in April (except for a few cacti).

I must say you were pretty brave to use this trip to break in a new pair of boots that were delivered only a day before.

I also really liked your long exposure shots.  That's something I need to experiment with more.

Finally, I must say: checking each other for ticks...now that's romantic...

Thanks for sharing.

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

#26 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:44 PM

Finally, I must say: checking each other for ticks...now that's romantic...

If this starts happening every trip, I just might get accused of planting the little buggers. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#27 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:43 AM

Ticks!

I had no idea they were out in the deserts. I'll have to be much more careful and on the lookout should I go through the brush. Great report and inspiration for future travels. The Funeral Range is quite interesting.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#28 dr.tucson

dr.tucson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:17 PM

Hi Ski, another thanks for the TR, but, would you just provide a short explanation for how you get photo the of the stars with the blue sky and clouds?  Thanks

#29 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:04 PM

Hi Ski, another thanks for the TR, but, would you just provide a short explanation for how you get photo the of the stars with the blue sky and clouds?  Thanks

Wait for the full moon to rise and light up the landscape; a 30 second exposure. The camera gathers in light and color that may not be visible to your eye.

#30 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:02 AM

To avoid star trails, use the “Rule of 500”. Divide 500 by your lens focal length to get your longest exposure time. Adjust aperture and/or ISO to get the effect you want.

https://petapixel.co...owing-500-rule/

If you want a real clear foreground, take two shots. High ISO for the foreground, lower ISO for sky and stars. Open as layers in photoshop, mask out the undesired parts of each photo/layer.

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users