• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:20 AM

What is this combo to be called? A good nickname is in order. Will go with The Black Turtle tentatively and see where it goes from there… :rolleyes:

For starters what format does this forum prefer for posting, one long rig thread talking about all the mods as they go or individual threads for specific modifications with perhaps just a quick summary on the “rig” thread?

Anyways its been a busy week. I tracked down a hawk on the Olympic peninsula which set everything in motion. After some rapid truck shopping I drove home a new (to me) truck on wed and proceeded to install the front eyebolts for the camper (did the rears once I measured the camper). The truck is a 03’ Dodge 1500 quad cab Hemi 5.7, 4x4 with 36k on the clock. I the nearer future plan on adding some Ride-Rite airbags to it, possibly some blistein shocks, and a tranny temperature gauge to keep an eye on things (already has a stock 20”x11” trans cooler due to have the tow package option).

The camper is a 99’ FWC Hawk I found on the peninsula a nice lady was selling to downsize to an eagle. My wife and I went to pick it up followed by some friends who we were going to go camping with one way or another. Had some entertainment getting it on the truck due to a partially sloped driveway but eventually go it on. It had a deep cycle battery with it that was drained out, I jerry rigged it do my 7pin connector to try and throw some charge at it while heading for camp. Was able to partially charge it so I then rigged up a connection to the camper with the battery sitting under the truck to allow us to play around with things in the camper and use the furnace while playing some cards at night.

We hit the Elwha valley in the national park and hiked to the Olympic hot springs in the morning to check them out/soak before heading back for home (and the upcoming work week).

Overall the camper is in good shape. One worn out component did provide some humor for us and that was the drain petcock. Once I got the battery rigged up I noticed the gauge center said the water tank was full. I decided to verify there was water in there by opening the petcock. It opened up and promptly the handle snapped off. I tried using pliers to rotate different parts of it to close it but they all crumbled so I just removed the whole thing and allowed it to drain out.

This year has the upper bunk like the new ATC panther stock floor plan, 4’ overhang without a slider. I plan to modify it to have a slide out long enough to accommodate sleeping parallel to the camper. Other tweaking I’ll likely consider will be to move the stove above the fridge to allow its use while the new bed is deployed. I’ll be brainstorming dinette options or perhaps a couch redesign similar to Mark Ingalls idea. One of the first things I need to figure out is the battery situation; the previous owner was able to fit the batter in front of the wheel well, I do not believe I’ll have the room. While I was under the truck I noticed a good amount of space on the driver side frame rail in the area between the transfer case and the rear axle that I’d like to look into the possibility of installing a battery box there. Main perk for doing this would be to keep it out of the camper and not take up space in there (also keep the weight low and forward) and with it riding with the truck all the time it’ll keep it maintained.

Almost forgot one question, how much room should be between the top of the truck and the bottom of the camper? Right now there is only 1.25” at the highest point of my cab and I doubt that is sufficient when things start flexing. I’m assuming I’ll need to lift it some and I’m wonder how much?

Anyways that is enough rambling for now and I’m tired out. On with the pictures. :thumb:

#2 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:21 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:22 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:24 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:36 AM

Congrats pods! Way to make it happen. Your camper looks to be in terrific shape. I would be concerned about the space you have between your camper/roof too although I don't know how much flex you may encounter. I'm sure a call to FWC tomorrow should set you down the right path.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#6 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:42 AM

:thumb:

Glad you got that (purchase) all sorted out!

Post however you feel works. Some mods deserve there own threads, some don't.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#7 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:25 AM

Pods...

The rig looks great..congrats.

About space above the roof... I have a Grandby on a dodge 2500 and barely have 2 inches above the roof. It's never hit the roof, even with some serious rock driving. Truck seems to flex side to side rather than front to back. I did have to raise the camper about 3/4 of an inch to get the above clearance, and that was easy with it sitting on a piece of plywood covered with carpet.

You're going to have a great time with the new rig..Get out there and enjoy it.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#8 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:19 PM

very nice. Enjoy. :)

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#9 snow hunter

snow hunter

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:23 PM

I like the new set up it looks like they our a good match.:thumb:
Same thing happened to me with the water spicket.I use pliers and turn it slow now.

The hot spring pools look smaller then I remember is there another one that is bigger? I last went there when I lived out there 15 years ago near port angles.Time to wander back there now.

#10 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:34 PM

pods,

Way to go, truck, camper, and a trip in the same week, I guess all the homework does pay off. I'll be looking forward to seeing your future mods. Enjoy
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users