• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#11 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:02 PM

Here's a thread on another site of a guy rebuilding a Keystone and narrowing it for a newer truck. http://advrider.com/...ebuild.1053662/

#12 mhskog

mhskog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBoise

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:49 PM

That thread is a major reason I'm going to tackle this project. Did a powow with the wife last night and setup the projects priorities since in her words "I don't want to fix this thing all summer and miss the camping season" So here is my breakdown.

Gut interior of camper down to the studs - This weekend

Narrow the foot to fit into the bed of the truck - Next two weeks

change top lifter to tube style and increase roof height about 4-6 inches - by end of June

rebuild interior / replace fabric top with new design, more windows on sides and smaller front and rear window - end of june

Upholstery

Interior will be going with no Fridge / we will do coolers / ARB we are rarely out for more than a long weekend. 

interior most likely will do 1/4 sand able ply very light stain with a poly coating over it

change the top bed from that strange fold thing to pull out

replace cook-top with camping type removable stove

check current furnace to see if it's functional or can be fixed, it's the only appliance we are thinking of keeping. Gets chilly in the mountains around here even in the summer. I want to re plumb all the gas lines with modern lines and quick fittings. Thinking of going with at 10lb propane and possibly mounting it on the outside left rear ?

http://store.adventu...er-Bracket.html

Led lighting inside and out, all new wiring and control panel capable of running solar as well.

I'm lucky in that the wife sews, I got her a sailrite machine couple of years ago and has been a great machine. So start the tear out tonight should be interesting to see how it goes.

#13 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:41 PM

Here's a link to my build thread from last year. http://www.wanderthe...6-1979-granby/   I had had 2 truck campers before doing the build, so I knew what I wanted, and what I didn't want. 

#14 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 19 May 2018 - 12:30 AM

That thread is a major reason I'm going to tackle this project. Did a powow with the wife last night and setup the projects priorities since in her words "I don't want to fix this thing all summer and miss the camping season" So here is my breakdown.

Gut interior of camper down to the studs - This weekend

Narrow the foot to fit into the bed of the truck - Next two weeks

change top lifter to tube style and increase roof height about 4-6 inches - by end of June

rebuild interior / replace fabric top with new design, more windows on sides and smaller front and rear window - end of june

Upholstery

Interior will be going with no Fridge / we will do coolers / ARB we are rarely out for more than a long weekend. 

interior most likely will do 1/4 sand able ply very light stain with a poly coating over it

change the top bed from that strange fold thing to pull out

replace cook-top with camping type removable stove

check current furnace to see if it's functional or can be fixed, it's the only appliance we are thinking of keeping. Gets chilly in the mountains around here even in the summer. I want to re plumb all the gas lines with modern lines and quick fittings. Thinking of going with at 10lb propane and possibly mounting it on the outside left rear ?

http://store.adventu...er-Bracket.html

Led lighting inside and out, all new wiring and control panel capable of running solar as well.

I'm lucky in that the wife sews, I got her a sailrite machine couple of years ago and has been a great machine. So start the tear out tonight should be interesting to see how it goes.

Nice.. plan sounds do-able... depending on your life outside of the camper. 

Floor pack was very easy in my opinion.. lifters were are royal pain to get right.. 

My wife has 3 industrial machines for sewing for her business and is highly proficient, but.. canvas is taking a lot more time than anticipated and she had to scrap one panel because of some bunching.. take your time.. 

We basically have the same type of build, no amenities. We use a Gas Buddy propane heater for cold nights and its great

You might find during tear out that you might want to fix some aluminum..my project below

http://www.wanderthe...ect-90s-granby/

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#15 mhskog

mhskog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBoise

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:05 AM

might check out this guys videos if you haven't already pretty good break down of the process, I think we are going to do what he's done and raise the top 4" in or so and put window vents into the front and rear as well.

#16 mhskog

mhskog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBoise

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:38 AM

20180520_143013.jpg

20180520_143020.jpg

20180520_143031.jpg

20180520_143031.jpg

20180520_143230.jpg

So tore it down today, it's a pretty sorry sight, the floor is at least three different patch jobs, I'm thinking I'm going to have to rebuild most of the bottom if I'm going to be happy with it.

I did notice they only welded one side of the frame, I thought this was kinda well not what I was expecting. So this is going to be pretty much a down to the frame deal. Well should be fun getting there.

#17 wuck

wuck

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • LocationPollock Pines, Sebastopol CA

Posted 21 May 2018 - 01:08 AM

I did notice they only welded one side of the frame, I thought this was kinda well not what I was expecting. So this is going to be pretty much a down to the frame deal. Well should be fun getting there.

Resist the urge to weld all sides of a joint, a one-sided weld is part of what gives our campers the flexibility they are known for. Welding every seam makes stuff break! That said, you'll probably find a crack or two, usually above the door.

Looks like the fun is starting :)

Pat

'04 FWC Hawk

'15 F250 SD SuperCab / Short Bed

SuperDuty Mileage (Fuelly)

Trip Photos on Flickr 

#18 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 21 May 2018 - 01:19 AM

oh man.. that brings back memories.. I got mine home in March and once I started tearing it apart I also realized it was going to be a full teardown and rebuild.. honestly, its been fun and thankfully I have had the time to do it. Enjoy the process and make it what you want.. thats the best part. good luck. 

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#19 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:00 AM

How do you put front and back windows in with the panels there?  Good luck.  I would suggest that your timeline looks great but everyting always takes longer than you think.  You are in to it now so I'm sure you'll make it work!  I would add an additional fan/vent up front over the bed too (at least the wiring).

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#20 mhskog

mhskog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBoise

Posted 29 May 2018 - 05:08 PM

Going to go with the Conduit lift system, that should give enough space for windows front and rear. Any feed back as to why not go that way instead of rebuilding the existing panels?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users