• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:08 PM

Great photos!  Looks like an amazing trip!  So many fantastic places to wander, so little time (or money).

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#22 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:00 PM

Wow. This is awesome. You have peaked my attention. Looking forward to more. jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#23 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:41 PM

WOW thanks for the photo posting.

What incredible animal shots.

Thia has to be a journey of a lifetime.

Thanks for taking the time to post your trip.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#24 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:51 PM

Thanks for sharing Eddie!

Great read and even better images!

South Carolina Low Country.  

#25 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:00 PM

We spent the next two days exploring The Pans. The remoteness and absolute quietness, particularly in the morning was awe inspiring.

The second night it was our (Terri's ) turn to make dinner and she made Pasta Putanesca, a very aromatic and tasty dish. Nicolas joked (I thought) that .."the lions will come tonight". Well about 4:00 in the morning while we were all sleeping in our RTT's we were awoken by a deep and persistently loud growling that was about 50 to 100 feet behind us (we are the middle truck in the picture below). Terri grabbed my arm and asked me if that was what she thought it was...my response..a very quiet "sisshhh"! The lion circled our site for a while and about 5 am Nicolas said to remain in the tent until he gave the OK...no problem Nico! He finally gave the all clear about 7 am but I waited until everyone else got out of their tent first!

Here's a lion footprint we found the next morning as well..

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0845.JPG
  • IMG_0848.jpg

Edited by smlobx, 15 June 2018 - 11:01 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#26 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:09 PM

With the recent "almost encounter" fresh in our minds we set off the following morning in search of more wildlife. As we approached a particularly large flat area that contained hundreds of various species of antelope one of our friends called me on the radio to let me know that my rear tire was going flat...Keep in mind that it was still dark..but we had to change the tire before we could go any further.

In the true spirit of adventure all the guys jumped out and proceeded to start the process while the two women stood guard making sure we wouldn't become breakfast for some carnivore...

Onward!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0847.JPG

Eddie
KO4CPL

#27 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:57 PM

Bridges and ferries..

Due to the river flooding we encountered we had to make several detours in order to get to our intended destinations. Many times we had to cross a wooden bridge that looked pretty sketchy. That's why we only had one vehicle on the bridge at a time.

We also had to take a bush ferry across a small river that in normal times we could have forded. Notice the small outboard on the side. There was one on each end of the barge depending upon which way it was going. The ferry cost us 150 Pula ( ~$15) each which was steep but there wasn't another option...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0849.JPG
  • IMG_0853.jpg
  • IMG_0854.jpg

Eddie
KO4CPL

#28 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 16 June 2018 - 09:15 PM

Okavango Delta..
On our second week we took a side trip into the Okavango Delta. The Botswanan government has given concessions to the local villages to manage and use as a source of income various regions of the Delta. We booked a trip into the Delta for an overnight trip.

We met our guides at the waters edge where we got into dug out canoes and our guides poled us for about 2 hours to reach the island we're we would be spending the next day or so.

The water was crystal clear and of course the locals drink it even though there was a lot of wildlife from elephants to hippos to crocodiles in the water. We also saw evidence of several fires and we never could get a straight answer as to why they were happening. They said that it was because of tourists who smoked but after a discussion we thought it was to keep the larger animals away from the villages and to promote fresh vegetation growth if that makes sense.

The next morning we went on an 8 mile walk around the island and were able to see a tremendous variety of wildlife. An interesting note, the animals were much more wary of us when we were walking around then when we were in the Land Cruisers..

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0858.jpg
  • IMG_0859.jpg
  • IMG_0860.jpg

Edited by smlobx, 16 June 2018 - 09:51 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

#29 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 16 June 2018 - 09:41 PM

Just a few more..I promise 😏

One of Terri's bucket list items on this trip was to be able to see the big cats and up until the last day of the trip we had been skunked. Suddenly, three lions crossed in front of us and proceeded to take station at a termite mound about twenty five feet from us. I was a little concerned about opening the window but just had to do it...

The next day we arrived back where we started, the Chobe River Lodge and decided to take one of their late afternoon river cruises. We were not disappointed and were able to get very close or a jaguar who initially was not happy to see us but when he realized that we meant him no harm just laid back on the bank like the big dog he was!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0865.jpg
  • IMG_0866.jpg
  • IMG_0867.jpg
  • IMG_0869.jpg

Eddie
KO4CPL

#30 Rdy2Roam

Rdy2Roam

• Members
  • 121 posts