Photo
- - - - -

Need your knowledge: Which truck to buy?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 gstallings

gstallings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:42 AM

Ok so this is my first ever post to a forum.  So please be patient with me if I'm doing this all wrong.  From what I have learned on WTW is that there is an limitless amount of information from everyone so I am here to learn and if possible add to the knowledge. 

I am currently shopping for a truck so I could have ATC build a shell camper for it.  Now my problem is what truck to buy.  I have narrowed it down to three possible configurations with pros and cons for all but looking for people who have either been in my situation or actually have the trucks im looking at with a camper to chime in and give me their opinion. 

Truck options: 

1st gen Tundra.  pros - cheaper(more money for adons, smaller feel for use as a everyday driver, durability!! Cons - older, more miles, MPGs, lower payload

2012 F150 5.0 SC or new(price range of 23k) - pros - better MPG, newer(not sure on durability), same payload as tundra, fancier interiors(maybe a con in the long run).  Cons - A lot more money that doesn't offset the MPG, durability, again money it will cost ~10k more than the tundra.  

2001-2003 f250 7.3l diesel.  pros - durability if found with low miles, higher payload, bigger(but for off road might be a con), Price would be in the middle of the other two ~18k.  cons - heavier for the offroad, big daily driver, MPGs, rough ride compared to the other two.

I will add that I want to be able to get far off the road not rock crawl but far off road.  Sorry for the long post but just need to explain my hold up.  Thanks for any advice.  Ill be posting my build when it starts.  Also, Im throwing around the idea of a flatbed camper instead of a slide in.  

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,591 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:08 AM

My 2ยข worth. Decide how big of a shell you want, then pick a truck that is capable of safely carrying it. The trucks you listed could carry anything from a Bobcat up to a Cougar depending on which truck you buy. For off-road, smaller is typically better because of maneuverability. I have a Ford Ranger with a Bobcat that will let me get into tighter places.

Pick the options you want on the camper you want, look at estimated weight, then decide about the truck.

ATC is a great company to work with. I am very happy with my camper. They are easy to work with, do customization, and have fantastic customer service.

I am haunted by waters

#3 gstallings

gstallings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:24 AM

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll be going with a flatbed shell on a 2006. Just need a couch and storage in the camper. No plumbing or fridge. I was just worried about the sway and abuse to the truck. But from what I'm reading I should not have a problem.

#4 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:59 AM

Ok, you'll probably get a lot of opinons so here's mine :-).

I have a great truck and it's a diesel.  I would get a diesel no matter what.  You can't be the torque.  The downside?  Diesel typically costs more but you get better mileage and you probably won't know the camper is on the truck.  

Now... the difficult part.  I love my 3.0 diesel.  Great mileage and power.  Downside?  With the camper on, gear, people, dogs, ice, water, propane, etc., etc. that's a lot of a 1/2 ton truck.  The truck does fine but pay attention to GVWR.  I'm sure I'm over but I have LT tires, load range E, airbags/shocks, etc. so the truck does just fine.  Ideally if I could get a 3/4 ton truck w/ a smaller diesel I would.  

If you are going to travel much (out of the US; mainly Mexico and further south - Mexico is changing soon), a newer diesel with ULSD can be an issue so the older 7.3 would be a great option as those things don't have all the diesel requirements (DEF, EGR, etc.) and will run forever.  You could look for a nice 5.9 Dodge Cummins too.  Another great platform.

Good luck!

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#5 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:59 AM

We don't own a camper yet (that changes in mid-August), but having gone through several periods of intense, obsessive shopping and research over the last few years, I've found that the GVWR is the most important factor for us. We have two trucks, both purchased new from the dealer (2005 Sierra and 2008 Ram). Both of our trucks are 4x4 1/2 tons with a lot of features. They both have relatively low miles.

We are installing the camper on the Dodge, which has higher miles but is newer. I'm not that worried about the truck not handling the weight of the camper since I am in the middle of (a very painful) install of air springs and rear sway bar. My biggest concern is liability if there is some sort of accident. This is my nightmare: Someone pulls out in front of us and causes us to rear end them, and there is significant damage or even worse, injury. It's easy to say it would be unlikely from armchair HQ, but if a smart enough attorney gets involved, GVWR could easily be used in a civil suit, even if it had nothing to do with the accident in reality.

So I am kicking myself for not spending the extra money, which would not have been a huge price increase, to get 3/4 ton trucks back when we bought these. The 2005 Sierra has less than 100k miles on it, but it is getting old. So that truck will eventually turn into a new 3/4 and I won't have to worry any more. But I would recommend anyone who is getting a full size truck and has even a tiny interest in possibly getting a camper of any sort to hold out for a 3/4 ton. Other issues like diesel vs gas are less important to me, but that's not to say they aren't important too.

#6 gstallings

gstallings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll have to really figure out what kind of camper I want to get. The flatbed looks amazing but not sure if I want to go through putting a flatbed on

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,591 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:05 PM

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll have to really figure out what kind of camper I want to get. The flatbed looks amazing but not sure if I want to go through putting a flatbed on

I believe ATC did at least one direct frame mount on a Ford Ranger that was purchased in Mexico. The flatbed or a utility bed makes better sense to me.

I am haunted by waters

#8 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:29 PM

I totally recommend the flatbed model. MUCH more livable and with MUCH more storage space! (Mine is the 'small one'!) :)

aJTf8FUXzix0tr66ErE4tVWuz8WvQ62opctFUC-S

#9 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:21 PM

Ditto on the flatbed. Having had both types of bed/camper setups and still using the truck as a truck its hard to beat a flatbed.

Bigger trucks can sometimes limit travel due to size, some trails get a bit tight, but not as often as I had feared originally.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#10 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:41 PM

I originally had my Hawk on a first gen Tundra access cab 4.0 motor. It now lives on a 2012 F250 4x4. While a modified 1/2 can get the job done, in my opinion a 3/4 ton is a better platform. Handling(especially in crosswinds)and braking are much improved and I'm well within the GVWR. I gave up about 1 mpg going to the 3/4 ton, mileage varies from 11-13mpg depending on speed and road conditions.I gladly give up 1 mpg for the improvements

Edited by Beach, 14 July 2018 - 06:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users