17 replies to this topic

#11 2trout

2trout

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationGlenwood Springs

Posted 27 August 2018 - 12:32 AM

Smlobx,

My and Steve's Hallmarks are both 2004. I believe that the roof construction is a bit different on the more recent years. My Milner has an aluminum skirting around the roof. Water seems to be finding its way behind the skirting but in front of the soft wall. On my new to me Milner, it is a problem only when to top is down.

Steve,

I spent yesterday and today digging out the original caulk, cleaning, and resealing the joint between the aluminum skirting and the roof. The original 13! year old caulk had cracked away from the aluminum skirting in many places and dirt and grime had found its way deep into the spaces. I completed 3 sides yesterday, and had a bit of rain on the new work......No leaks! The uncompleted rear of the camper where the door is leaked yesterday evening. There was a canopy anchored to the roof above the door, I removed the canopy and completed the final side today. I did not put the canopy back up as it seemed to allow water to pool behind it. With luck, Ill have a bit of rain yet tonight and Ill get another read on my work!

Trout

#12 2trout

2trout

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 01:10 PM

We had a pretty hard rain during the night last night, and my initial inspection reveals a dry interior!  

My process was to first use a brush to remove loose dirt from the old calk as best i could. Then i scrubbed it down with acetone. Following that I removed the old caulk (and dirt/dust!) from between the aluminum skirting/trim and the roof with a variety of caulk removal tools and flat scrapers. A final scrubbing with acetone being sure to get down into the space as best i could. Finally wrapping up with new Geocell calk for RVs. initially, Ill call it a success, but only time will tell.

trout

#13 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 11:17 PM

Have been out West without cell for a few weeks so haven't been able to respond. Although my caulking on the leading edge for the roof looked good and has been maintained, my guess is water had seeped in and weakened the seal where the rubber roof joins the metal perimeter of the roof. From there it weeped into the vinyl.

In any event, along the way, the leading edge of the rubber roof completely lifted opening about a 1/2" gap. This was really a surprise to me as I saw nothing ahead of time suggesting things had progressed to that point. Putting weight on the roof closed the gap and for now Gorilla tape seems to be doing an excellent job of holding everything together and dry. We will be wandering about another month and will decide what to do when we get done traveling. 

A complete roof with new vinyl is $5,000-$6,000 at Hallmark and I may just rebuild the roof myself. Have done a number of rubber roofs in the past, just never a pop-up. Also debating using Eternabond around the perimeter to lessen the need for constant caulking and just continuing to use the camper as is since everything else is working fine. Will know better once I get home and have the tools and time to access the damage properly. :)

Steve

#14 2trout

2trout

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 03:46 PM

Though my leaks seemed to be only on two sides, I elected to remove and redo all calk between the roof and the roof skirting. I will  likely also add Eternabond taoe to make this the last time i have to deal with it.

trout

#15 Stitch

Stitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationPeyton, Colorado

Posted 19 September 2018 - 11:20 PM

I have a 2004 Guanella that was reroofed by a previous owner with their carbon roof. Works just fine and I’m happy someone else paid for it. It was a strong selling point for me.

Edited by Stitch, 19 September 2018 - 11:22 PM.

2004 Hallmark Guanella on a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

#16 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 12:59 AM

We just got back in tonight. Had to reapply gorilla tape about every 500 miles, but doing that everything stayed dry. I doubt we will have Hallmark do a reroof as I don't see any way to get the money back out of it and I think Eternabond will do a perfectly fine job once in place and will be barely noticeable. The rubber is all in excellent shape and the roof simply lifted out of the metal trim on the front edge.

I did meet the owner of an identical Ute, but a 2013 model. Totally different animal from our 2004 and looks like the roof will really last. My own suggestion if buying a used Hallmark is to search of models post-2007 and forgo the rubber roofed models. 

#17 Back2gas

Back2gas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:31 AM

Hi new here with a recently purchased 2008 Outfitter Caribou 6.5. It's in above average shape for it's vintage. I haven't mounted it in my truck yet. 

I noticed the construction and layout to be very similar to the Hallmark models, same lifting system, interior layout etc. 

According to the previous owner, he dug out the old caulk, re-caulked and has had no leaks. I saw the Eternabond Amazon, the 4 inch variety and thought about going all the way around the perimeter edge of the roof where it meets the aluminum perimeter piece as a preventative. 

Since some of you were asking about it I was wondering if you've had good luck with this method or others? 

Thanks

#18 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:44 PM

Hi new here with a recently purchased 2008 Outfitter Caribou 6.5. It's in above average shape for it's vintage. I haven't mounted it in my truck yet. 

I noticed the construction and layout to be very similar to the Hallmark models, same lifting system, interior layout etc. 

According to the previous owner, he dug out the old caulk, re-caulked and has had no leaks. I saw the Eternabond Amazon, the 4 inch variety and thought about going all the way around the perimeter edge of the roof where it meets the aluminum perimeter piece as a preventative. 

Since some of you were asking about it I was wondering if you've had good luck with this method or others? 

Thanks

I answered in your other post. :)

Ardvark

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users