• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 31 October 2018 - 12:13 PM

I saw on Facebook that FWC is offering camping at their display.

I asked if it includes a camping pass for someone who procrastinated and waited until the were sold out. I haven’t seen an answer yet.......

We've always camped with the FWC folks at the vendor site.

However, you have to purchase your OX ticket(s) to get in the gate. 

Upon arrival drive or walk over to the FWC setup and see if they have any remaining space available for camping.

You don't get in free or any other special incentives to camp at the FWC vendor site.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#22 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 31 October 2018 - 01:46 PM

We've always camped with the FWC folks at the vendor site.

However, you have to purchase your OX ticket(s) to get in the gate.

Upon arrival drive or walk over to the FWC setup and see if they have any remaining space available for camping.

You don't get in free or any other special incentives to camp at the FWC vendor site.

I didn’t expect any incentives, but with the day pass parking being remote I don’t want to expect to get a camping spot without a camping pass.

There doesn’t seem to be much camping near Brevard either

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#23 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:20 PM

There aren't many open camp grounds in western NC this time of year.  Even several of the NP camp sites close on or around 1 November until spring.  Simply not enough demand to keep them open and staffed after leaf season

Day pass parking is getting more and more remote each year at both OX West and East due to popularity of the event. 

Probably why prices have increased dramatically the past year and why OX has gone to an "a la carte" pricing structure.

Edited by Advmoto18, 02 November 2018 - 12:04 PM.

#24 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 01 November 2018 - 09:20 PM

There aren't many open camp grounds in western NC this time of year. Even several of the NP camp sites close on or around 1 November until spring. Simply not enough demand to keep them open and staffed after leaf season

Day pass parking is getting more and more remote each year at both OX West and East due to popularity of the event.

Probably why prices have increased dramatically the past year and why OX has gone to an al la carte pricing structure.

As things are looking I will probably not go to OX East this year.

I am starting to think about going west in the spring and hit OX West. There would be a lot more stuff I can’t afford. [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

But my plans may change. If you see a white f150 with a granby at the brewery it will probably be me

Edited by Machinebuilder, 01 November 2018 - 09:21 PM.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#25 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:40 PM

Well I went to punch in the address at Reed Ranch and the street number doesn't exist according to my GPS...

I guess I'll just have to follow all the other Overlanding rigs when I get near...

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#26 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:07 PM

Great, that was the address I was gonna use...lol. I'll look for that handsome Hallmark!

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#27 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:41 AM

Eddie, you will not miss the addy...someone is bound to know where they're goin'!

Just follow all the other truck/campers and adventure motorcycles.

Edited by Advmoto18, 09 November 2018 - 01:42 AM.

#28 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:03 PM

A review of the weekend to follow but in case anyone was wondering what great weather we had....

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0959.jpg

Eddie
KO4CPL

#29 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:55 PM

Eddie...

I was at the inaugural OX-East Mudfest at Taylor ranch.  Truly a mess.

We followed that up in 2016 with OX-West at Mormon Lake (a supposedly, mostly dry lakebed) that turned in a 10" deep Mudfest after snow and rain.

OX West organizers finally moved OX-West up to the fair grounds at Flagstaff.  Now lousy weather will not be so much a factor.

It is inexplicable why the Hansen's, with all the issues at Taylor Ranch in Fletcher, NC, would move the event from Biltmore to this venue. Yes, the Biltmore event was very expensive because Biltmore tacked on a fee for admission to the grounds.  This turned away a lot of folks;  me included since we've been to Biltmore for the Christmas exhibit several times.

OX-East is now too large to stick it in a small valley on a farmer's field.  I've ridden my motorcycle past that location numerous times.  When I saw the Hansen's were moving to this location I thought this would be worse then Taylor Ranch if it rained anytime before or during the event.  Further, I wondered where in the heck the day attendees were going to park!  Read some of the posts on Facebook by day ticket holders.  Transportation to the site for day ticket holders was an abomination.  Many stated they were going to challenge the charges.  One chap wrote he waited 4.5 hours for a ride to the venue!!!!  I would have given up LOOOOONG before that and headed to Asheville for some fun.

The Hansen's have a great idea going with OX.  But, seriously, they need to reevaluate their entire OX-East operation, especially site selection.  Biltmore, while a nice venue, wasn't the answer because of the very expensive entry fee to get onto the Biltmore grounds which were added to the already expensive OX fees.   The Hansen's need to bring the eastern site up to the Western venue standards.  

OX is an event for seeing all the new overland gear and ideas out there from vendors.  We shouldn't have to camp out in a farmer's muddy field to go to a huge event such as this.

BMW Motorcycle Owners Association annual rally recognized these issues decades ago.  BMW MOA now selects its annual venue capable of handling tens of thousands of motorcycles of all types at an accessible venue.

All of my comments are meant to be constructive in nature.

I hope Jonathan reads my post in that regard.

We would enjoy attending OX East again in the future, but, it must be at a suitable venue.

Edited by Advmoto18, 12 November 2018 - 01:11 PM.

#30 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 November 2018 - 09:03 PM

Bill -
I have to agree with you unfortunately... Here is what I posted on AA.

When we were driving out on Sunday my wife wondered why they had the event in what we call bottom land where all the water coming off the mountains flows into the area....There are several fairgrounds in the mid Atlantic and most would have more room that there was at Reeb..

Weather happens and we should all be prepared to deal with it but that venue only had one road in and out. The fields were bisected with streams making all traffic both vehicular and foot on the single gravel road. When you see a Unimog with both axles locked getting stuck on flat ground and needing a JD dozen to pull him out you know it's tough.

Another comment I heard from vendors was that they could not park near their booth making resupply of their products a pita. Cell service also sucked and many vendors had trouble processing credit card payments. Those of us with businesses to run found it frustrating trying to stay in touch with our team back home...

On a positive note the food trucks were very good....but I will not be returning to Reeb.

...and while I'm on my soapbox I have two other gripes...
1. Why was it that those who paid the highest price to get in (i.e. Experience) were given the worst place to camp on the friggin side of a hill?
2. Are we suppose to be overlanders or campers? There were entirely too many generators running and even though most were the quiet type they were still very noticeable. Maybe next time have them park a mile or so away from the rest of us...

Eddie
KO4CPL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users