• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 searching for nowhere

searching for nowhere

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:53 AM

I'm leaving tomorrow for Montana, so this question is too late for this trip.  But there is always the next trip.  Where do people hide a spare key?  Do magnets work?  Cable tie it to something under the truck?  Being in the middle of nowhere and losing a key is the one thing that bothers me the most.  Please don't share the details of what you, but share the concept.  thanks 

Camping with a small trailer.  Everyday is a good day to go camping.

https://searchingfor.wordpress.com/

#2 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:25 AM

my significant other makes sure I don't forget things.

if solo, yup magnetic hide a key box, duct tape or my trick - on a permanent wrist band so you can't forget it.

#3 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:25 AM

I carry a truck door key, a camper door key, and camper lock box key taped to a plastic card in my wallet.

Another lock box key hidden in camper.

I have a camper key tied to monofilament fishing line dropped down between camper and inside pickup box.  Line is tacked to side of camper below top of bed side.  Impossible to see unless you know where to look.

I have my spare ignition key fob in a lock box in the camper.

When carrying the key fob while camping I have a 12" fluorescent yellow ribbon attached to it.  If dropped I at least have a chance to find it.

jim

Edited by JaSAn, 18 September 2018 - 01:28 AM.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:25 AM

Camper key hidden outside the camper. Full set hidden inside the camper.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,963 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 September 2018 - 03:13 AM

i carry one set, wife carries the other

#6 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 18 September 2018 - 05:34 AM

Ya-another wallet guy here, always have a spare key(s) there! In addition, and I know i should not do it, but I have a spare keys stashed in various drawers, storage spaces and glove boxes in my rig and pop-up <_< Speaking of keys, one of my advises to any new pop-up owners is go buy some more keys-you never know! While I was still working and when I was with a crew, we used to put the key to the rig on top of one of the tires-that way, who ever got back to the rig first could get in, warm up, pick us up, or what ever, system worked good.  For some reason, that I could never understand, the gov't gave only one key to each rig, with another one at the office.  When you were issued your own full time rig, sometimes you got a duplicate made-that also went in the wallet!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#7 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:21 AM

i carry one set, wife carries the other

*2. Teamwork! :)

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#8 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 09:06 AM

I  always carry a spare key in my wallet.  The new chipped keys don't fit there well, so I had an unchipped key cut.  It can't start the truck, but it will unlock the doors.  I have a chipped key in a magnetic container, but it's hidden in such a way that you can't get it unless you unlock the door.

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#9 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:19 PM

I'm not a big fan of hiding keys on the exterior of the vehicle. Everyone hides keys in the same places and for the most part, there are only a few places to hide one.

I keep my key(s) on a Nite Ize mini carabiner attached to a loop in my cargo pocket or daypack..  I you have one of those monster sized key fobs, attach it to the carabiner with a short piece of 550 chord.

Due to my military background, I'm not fond of carrying small, critical items (keys) freestyle.  They must be securely attached to my clothes or some other major component not likely to be lost.  

Edited by Advmoto18, 18 September 2018 - 01:22 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#10 Alvis

Alvis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:06 PM

Ford trucks have the combination lock on the door. This makes for all types of hiding inside the truck options. Also very handy when you need to get something out of the truck and your keys are in the camper.

2015 F150 Supercab 6.5 foot bed 2.7

2016 ATC Ocelot side dinette

http://alvisontheroad.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users