Photo
- - - - -

When Should Reservations For Alaska Ferry Open For May 2019?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 25 October 2018 - 07:13 PM

So far the calendar for the ferries into or out of Bellingham stops 5-3-19 with Columbia arrives from Ketch.

About know when will the date that reservations from Bellingham to Haines in May ['19] will open?

Thanks...I am tired of checking it everyday.. :D

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 25 October 2018 - 07:33 PM.

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 27 October 2018 - 12:21 PM

I also tried searching. Didn't get anything past 3 May 2019.

I think the ferry schedule changes around the beginning of May to the summer one.

Try again Dec or Jan.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 27 October 2018 - 12:49 PM

Do they have a number you can call?  I would suspect that they might be waiting to see about budgets, maint, etc.?  Didn't they put a few of the ferries out of service a few years ago for maint?

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#4 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 27 October 2018 - 03:22 PM

Do they have a number you can call?  I would suspect that they might be waiting to see about budgets, maint, etc.?  Didn't they put a few of the ferries out of service a few years ago for maint?

Update:  I have made contact with the AMH office and they are waiting for the Alaskan budget to be decided before taking reservations beyond May 3.  Best guess they had was Nov/Dec.

X-Factor for us will be the ice break-up and when the other river ferries we will need to use start operation...hey, it is an adventure!

Phil

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 04:16 PM

It always seems like the Alaskan Gov keeps the ferry system hostage by the budget.

In 16 when we were there they just finished getting their act together on money for the system.

IMO as much as the state needs the system it's a no-brainer to come up with a budget.

It's not like there is another solution to the ferry system.

Oh well at least by the new year you should be able to make your plans.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 27 October 2018 - 04:24 PM

Yup...while patience is not my strong suit..in my old age I refuse to be "held hostage' by circumstances beyond my control...there are always options!  If ferry can't be scheduled then we go with Willie N.'s recommendation:  "On the road again".

Phil

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:17 AM

Phil I think you need to give it at least Dec/Jan.

Our 2016 trip we made ferry reservations for the whole trip to

and from Bellingham around Feb. North on the Kennicott

south on the Columbia.All worked out for us no problem.

Frank.

#8 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 28 October 2018 - 02:38 PM

Thanks...but we only plan going North on ferry and then driving back through BC...it will be about $3,100 on the ferry just getting there...plus we want to kick around coming South...now have expanded our trip to 6 weeks...

Phil

#9 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 06:33 PM

Thanks...but we only plan going North on ferry and then driving back through BC...it will be about $3,100 on the ferry just getting there...plus we want to kick around coming South...now have expanded our trip to 6 weeks...

Phil

6 weeks is a good amount of time to have fun.Have you driven the Cassiar? If not going south from the Alcan near Watson Lk.

it's a great shortcut and some fantastic scenery.Also Stewart/Hyder area.

Frank

#10 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:19 PM

6 weeks is a good amount of time to have fun.Have you driven the Cassiar? If not going south from the Alcan near Watson Lk.

it's a great shortcut and some fantastic scenery.Also Stewart/Hyder area.

Frank

No, on having been 'inland'....'67 King Salmon to Port Moller [AK peninsula] on the 38 foot RV Sockeye doing salmon research and then '89 solo sea kayaking down from Juneau to the glaciers at the end of Tracy Arm and then on to Petersburg..plus a short week in Desolation Sound from Lund in the sea kayak in '88.

We plan to land in Haines working our way through Tok, TOW Hwy, Tombstone TP, some if not all of Dempster and then back down the Cassiar..Hwy 37 to 97… with all the side trips including Bella Coola if we have the time..for scale our home is almost 900 miles South of Hope BC.  Only limiter is how long our neighbors are willing to take care of our cats..we rescue cats and have a bunch!

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users