15 replies to this topic

#1 Nailhead

Nailhead

basset hound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:13 PM

I read a classified on the Alaskan website from a seller offering for sale the "BOTTOM HALF ONLY" (his caps) of an 8' CO.  Top half lifted off while driving in the wind.  Located in Wyoming.  Whodathunkit.

This got me thinking.  I lived in WY for quite a while, so I still visit frequently, which means I cannot avoid driving the Alaskan through strong winds.  Like last Saturday, when we drove past a UPS dry box in the median on I-25.

Is wind-induced uplift a problem with these?  I know you pin them up when raised, but can you pin them down?

If not, anyone got any ideas for securing the top half down while traveling (other than ratchet straps)?

Happy New Year! 

#2 wcj

wcj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSW Montana

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:01 AM

My Alaskan came with a set of holes in the top and bottom that lined up when the top was down. Located at the front bottom corner of the camper. Inserting a pin locks the two halves together. It wasn't enough for Montana winds so I put a matching set on the passenger side. With both sides pinned I am good for about 95% of the time. The other five percent gets a ratchet strap over the top and hooked to both of the jack mounts at the front of the camper. That has worked, even when watching an f250 towing a hard sided camper get blown off the road ahead of me at Judith Gap. 

A quartering cross wind seems to be the worst.

Good luck

2004 chevy duramax 73 cabover (sold to a friend) 70 NCO rebuilt 2004 cabover

#3 Nailhead

Nailhead

basset hound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 05:39 PM

Thank you for the information, very helpful.

Judith Gap: that rings a bell, like I've been through there, just can't remember where it is.

#4 wcj

wcj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSW Montana

Posted 06 January 2019 - 03:35 AM

Central Montana, south of Lewistown

Montana's first big wind farm 20 years ago, big surprise, windiest place I know of. 

#5 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 06 January 2019 - 06:36 PM

I think the problem with lift may also be exacerbated if you have a fair amount of SPACE between the top and the roof of your truck. The larger the area of inflow of air, the greater the lift. That would be something for physics majors and I'm not one, but I think you can also prevent that by simple adding one of those wind diverting thing-a-ma-bobs to the front edge of the truck roof drip channels that prevents the winds from getting between camper and truck roof. Something like an air dam I guess.

Getting the camper to fit into your later model truck with higher tub sidewalls means the C/O will ride higher as well and then the height of the cab comes into the equation...meaning once you raise up the camper to fit the tub, you may have allowed a LOT more wind force between the camper and the truck roof which would provide more lifting force.

My C/O hasn't experienced any lift that I have seen yet but it has a fairly small distance between cab and C/O.

Anyone here a math major that can confirm/deny this theory for us?

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#6 wcj

wcj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSW Montana

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:10 AM

I think we have two different problems being discussed. The original question dealt with the top half of an Alaskan separating from the bottom half. On an Alaskan the bottom half of the cabover, where the bedding is, is part of the lower half of the camper, When you get any separation between the top half of the cabover and the bottom half at highway speeds it tends to make the top half a wing and want to lift up and off, thus the reason to pin the two halves together when traveling or adding the strap to further mechanically prevent the lifting between the sections. 

The wind effect between the cab roof and the bottom of the cabover is an entirely different issue, I ran a pool noodle as an air dam between the cab roof and the cabover bottom for a while, fit nice, looked ok, kept the bugs from hitting the camper wall behind the cab but didn't do anything for mileage or handling that I could quantify, but my camper fits fairly well. 

It really isn't a big issue if you plan for it and I probably have driven in some of the windiest places in the West. 

#7 Nailhead

Nailhead

basset hound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:12 PM

I think the problem with lift may also be exacerbated if you have a fair amount of SPACE between the top and the roof of your truck. The larger the area of inflow of air, the greater the lift. That would be something for physics majors and I'm not one, but I think you can also prevent that by simple adding one of those wind diverting thing-a-ma-bobs to the front edge of the truck roof drip channels that prevents the winds from getting between camper and truck roof. Something like an air dam I guess.

Getting the camper to fit into your later model truck with higher tub sidewalls means the C/O will ride higher as well and then the height of the cab comes into the equation...meaning once you raise up the camper to fit the tub, you may have allowed a LOT more wind force between the camper and the truck roof which would provide more lifting force.

My C/O hasn't experienced any lift that I have seen yet but it has a fairly small distance between cab and C/O.

Anyone here a math major that can confirm/deny this theory for us?

That cab-to-camper distance will be factored in when we mount the camper to the '72 IH 4x4 dually I have.  We'll be able to set it to any clearance we want (within reason).

It really isn't a big issue if you plan for it and I probably have driven in some of the windiest places in the West. 

Amen, brother: I lived in SE WY for 18 years.  The name "Bordeaux" is the "Judith Gap" of the area, inspiring respect and discomfort in anyone living locally.

#8 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:25 PM

Why aren't the latches that other camper use a solution?

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#9 popRoid

popRoid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:42 AM

Nailhead:  My 2018 10 ft Alaskan cabover has what they call a "travel bolt" which in essence is a carriage bolt that runs thru both haves of the camper and is located on the forward wall on the driver's side.  I've driven all over Wyoming and Montana with no problems but I can understand your point perfectly.  

2018 10' Alaskan Cabover/2017 Ford  F350 Dually Diesel

#10 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:41 PM

Is this wind lift a problem primarily - or only? - with cabovers?  I'm planning to buy a non-cabover, so will this be a non-problem for me?

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users