24 replies to this topic

#1 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:45 PM

Apologies if this has been covered, a search didn't find anything. I am asking for advice on what I need to do to prepare my truck for a trip from Minnesota to Tuktoyaktuk, North West Territories, Canada in August/September 2019.

I have a 2012 Ram 2500, 5.7l gas, standard cab, 4X4 that is stock. It carries a FWC Grandby, tipping the scales at < 8000 lbs with 2 weeks gear and supplies. I average from 12.5 to 14.5 MPG with a 32 gal tank.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#2 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:37 AM

Make sure your truck is in good mechanical shape, up to date on maintenance, and that your tires are in good condition.  Other than that there is nothing in particular that needs to be done, it is a fairly well maintained dirt road with gas every 200 miles or so. 

Bugs and rain can be a problem, but being from Minnesota you can probably deal with that much better than us mountain folk. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#3 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:13 AM

I'd take along a basic tire repair plug kit. They are so cheap and easy to use and oh, so handy if you or someone along the way needs it, so may as well have one. But you'd want an air compressor ...

Yeah, fuel shouldn't be a problem as you'll prob top up at the start (highway turn off). Whether you want to carry a jerry can just in case for others is up to you.

Would be nice if your truck had adequate mud flaps to cut down on throwing rocks, lotsa windows get cracked on that road.

For the drivers I'd ask that they bring their patience. It's a looong drive to Tuk from just about anywhere. Central BC (if you're driving thru) and the North don't have the big freeways and higher speed limits some are used to. Seen quite a few folks driving like they are in a big hurry, that's not always a fair deal to the locals.

Enjoy !

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:16 AM

Apologies if this has been covered, a search didn't find anything. I am asking for advice on what I need to do to prepare my truck for a trip from Minnesota to Tuktoyaktuk, North West Territories, Canada in August/September 2019.

I have a 2012 Ram 2500, 5.7l gas, standard cab, 4X4 that is stock. It carries a FWC Grandby, tipping the scales at < 8000 lbs with 2 weeks gear and supplies. I average from 12.5 to 14.5 MPG with a 32 gal tank.

Following.... doing this trip in 2020.   What speeds are you going to get 14.5 mpg?

#5 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:41 AM

Hey Vic, I am going to try and make it this year in August/September, with 2020 as a fallback.

I'm a confirmed shunpiker, taking secondary roads as much as possible so my highway speeds are 55-60 MPH.  Forest Service roads are 15-35 MPH.  The numbers I quoted are the high and low of running 5 fill averages on my trip Minnesota to Montana and back a little over a year ago.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#6 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:54 AM

Mud flaps are a real necessity. Our windshield survived unscathed, but I did take a good rock to my grille and it got damaged. I took 2 full size spares, which was overkill. I'd just make sure you have newer good E Rated AT tires and a matching spare and a plug kit. I carried extra fuel, did not need it, but that could have changed very easily. The longest distance between fuel stops is 360ish km. We also had to run the truck in 4Hi for the 150km new highway to Tuk and used a 1/2 tank just on that section. Stock up on bottled water, it was easily the most expensive item we purchased in Inuvik.
I used the Avon skin so soft mixed with rubbing alcohol for mosquitos, and it worked better than any store nought spray ice vet tried.

#7 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:10 PM

Will be interested to see how the trips go to Tuk.  Looking at 2021 to make that trip, once I have my summers free in retirement!

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#8 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:23 PM

If anyone planing for 2020 September time frame want's a partner please reach out to me. (FYI, I've done US to AK 3 times, I'm experienced in Canada travel...)

As for the road. I'd recommend bringing 2 spare tires. I read some say otherwise, bug patches are all well and good but usually you'd want to keep your trip going and patch on downtime?

You will break your windshield and possibly any other glass items up front (fog lamps etc etc)...So if not required I'd look into covers for things you don't want broken by gravel.

I'm a big fan of external storage, See if Aluminus makes a rear swing out bumper for your rig...(https://www.aluminess.com/)

#9 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:15 AM

We're planning on going to AK and Tuk in 2020 as well. Maybe a WTW reunion is in order!

In addition to having all the maintenance up to date and good tires we'll have two spares, a good tire patch kit and compressor as well as tools to make minor repairs.
We'll also complete our oil change done just prior to leaving as we anticipate driving about 15k total over three or so months. We'll get the oil changed again somewhere in AK as well

I've read about the strong possibility of getting a cracked windshield and have been toying with the idea of getting a couple of Mylar tear-offs installed prior to leaving. I had them on my Porsche race car and they do provide a lot of protection but have yet to make a final decision.

Something else I'm still trying to decide on is what comes to bring. I understand that many truckers still use CB radios so I'm leaning towards that...

Edited by smlobx, 10 January 2019 - 12:15 AM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#10 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:46 AM

I've read about the strong possibility of getting a cracked windshield and have been toying with the idea of getting a couple of Mylar tear-offs installed prior to leaving. I had them on my Porsche race car and they do provide a lot of protection but have yet to make a final decision.

Something else I'm still trying to decide on is what comes to bring. I understand that many truckers still use CB radios so I'm leaning towards that...

Can you tell me a bit how that works ? Is it a full windshield cover ? tear off when not needed or becomes damaged ?

~Thx

I'm won't claim to be right up to date but in BC,AB,YK was common to use LADD 1,2,3,4 channels for highways outside of major centres. Tho it may have switched back or gone diff tech, IDK.

But also handy to have VHF for radio assisted Resource Road travel in those same jurisdictions (if road is active). Can find frequencies online (BC uses a numbered channel system for RR). Never know when you might take a break and go exploring ...

----

Don't quote me but I don't think bugs should be too horrible in Aug and Sept. I'd be a bit more concerned about snow if I was in Tuk in Sept. Would want a few extra days cushion for weather.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dempster, Tuktoyaktuk, Arctic Ocean

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users