21 replies to this topic

#11 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:03 PM

A friend & I changed a flat on a V-8 Vega with no jack on the side of I-10 somewhere East of Desert Center at 3AM. People were moving and lifting heavy, awkward things long before camper jacks were around. The basic jist will be to support the camper while the rig is higher than normal off the ground, and then sag the truck out from under, OR support the camper with the rig at normal ride height and then lower the truck out from under it either by digging or possibly by simply lowering the tire pressure.

Big question is, do you need access to the camper while it is off the truck?

Thom

Where does that road go?

#12 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:47 PM

I can't tell if you're in Oaxaca or headed there.  If the suggestions above don't work out, you might seek local knowledge and perhaps assistance from Calvin and Leanne at Overlander Oasis. Their web site's Repairs page (and its photos) appear to show the right kind of skills and interests, they're bilingual (if that's needed) and presumably they're familiar with suppliers, craftsmen, etc.  Also, one of the comments says Calvin is extremely skilled in metal fabrication and woodwork, should it come to that.

PS- I have no connection to Overland Oasis... I just found the web site while searching for RV repair services in Oaxaca.  There are also several RV repair shops... perhaps worth a check to see if anyone has corner jacks they'd be willing to rent or know someone who might.

Good luck!

Edited by Old Crow, 09 January 2019 - 08:58 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#13 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:29 PM

Oh

I WAS gonna say loosen turnbuckles and drive up a trail while looking at your nav system......

but hard to reload that way.

David Graves

:)  :D  :D  ;)

#14 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:22 PM

How much to have your jacks shipped to you?

Anyone able to box them up and FedEx them to you?

Still the SAFEST method is the tested and working system you already have.

Post what kind of mounts you have on the camper in case some WTW is in the area and can loan theirs they thoughtfully took with them. Then you have the same issue when the paint job, etc. is done and you ready to remount the camper.....

Beware the guy with a fork-lift who says he does it all the time....unless your insurance is up to date!

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#15 Swamp Creature

Swamp Creature

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:18 AM

Hey all.

Thanks for the suggestions. To clarify, I’m already in Oaxaca, I won’t need access to the camper while it’s off the truck, and i have the standard corner jack mounts on my camper. I emailed the guys at over lander oasis for some local advice (thanks old crow). I agree that having the proper jacks is the best move. Mine are in storage and can’t be shipped. I can think of a few ways to get the camper off but getting it back on with something rigid supporting the camper is still leaving me a little perplexed.

#16 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:16 AM

Hello Again

I have pondered your situation today.

I wanted to ask if you have ever off loaded the camper at home using the jacks ?

David Graves

#17 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:11 AM

Somewhere close  there has to be a pair of winch type tripod camper jacks, but you still need something to sit the camper on.

CWDT

#18 Swamp Creature

Swamp Creature

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:53 PM

David,

Yes. I have unloaded and reloaded at home. I think i see what you’re getting at here and, yes the suspension is flexing quite a bit meaning I will have to lift the camper quite high to get it off.

#19 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:49 PM

Swamp

Oh good....I was concerned about making it seem too easy.

There have been lots of helpful comments.

It seems your biggest concern is supporting the camper properly high enough to allow being able to reload..

I would second that you need to support the camper well on its new legs....they are very tippy when up high.

Is your camper a shell or fully fit out at factory ?

Of course you would off load everything you can first ....then you can put it all back in.

Four by Fours and a shovel ought to get it done.

Do you have a good space to store it while off ?

Keep in touch here as I am sure many are rooting for you and brilliant ideas pop up in this group.

Don't forget to ask for local help...the paint shop maybe ?

You could also roll it off onto a loading dock as long as it is high enough to load back.

David Graves

Edited by DavidGraves, 10 January 2019 - 04:57 PM.

#20 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:02 PM

142a590b541c5b03f47b7f4084812ccc--vintag

Maybe this guy has some advice.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users