Photo
- - - - -

Overland Expo West Must see sites along the way?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:43 PM

I'm seriously thinking about attending this year. Never been before. I'd likely head down 395 to 40. I'll take a week off so no need to drive it all in one day. 395 is easy but what stops along 40 are must sees or even just a good spot to camp along the way? Or should I even skip 40 and take a different route?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#2 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:29 PM

Talk to Stan at FWC.

I know when Tom owned the company, he'd have the guys travel to different places along the way home (Woodland, CA) after OX. 

Friday and Saturday are the big days at OX.  Bug out early on Sunday.  You will have seen everything and many vendors begin packing up Sunday morning and are on the road by noon.

If you haven't done the North Rim of the GC, I'd highly recommend that AFTER OX.  The North Rim usually doesn't open until around the weekend of OX-West.  If you want a stunning adventure, reserve a camp site (only 3) at Point Sublime, west of the NR Visitor Center.  About 17 miles of single track that takes about 2 hours to traverse non-stop.  But, too many scenic stops along the way to drive non-stop.  You need to reserve a camp site now!

OX-West is a blast.  We've been to two down at Mormon Lake and one near Flagstaff.  Its a great time, crowded and busy!

Edited by Advmoto18, 12 January 2019 - 09:35 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#3 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:05 PM

I'd look at going to Toroweap on the way there then across 89 out of Kanab and down House Rock Valley Rd to 89A, nice campsite overlooking Badger Rapids in Marble Canyon.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#4 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:36 PM

If traveling back along I-40 you could visit both:

1. The Mojave Desert Heritage and Cultural Association (mdhca.org) in Goffs, CA., home to a vast library of resources and info about the region. Built by Dennis Casebier (Mojave Rd. Guide author) and his late wife Jo Ann, you’ll find the restored schoolhouse and adjacent depot along with other artifacts.

2. The Kelso Depot, built in 1924 and now used as the Visitor Center for Mojave National Preserve. Beautiful building! Of course, closed right now due to the gov’t shutdown...

Both are doable side trips off the main highway. Plenty of info available for both, and both have access to the Mojave Rd. if you’re so inclined.
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#5 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:08 AM

From 395 I'd take the 136 to the 190 to the 178 to Harry Wade Rd.; side trip to Saratog Springs, then to the 127 and down to Baker. From there Kelbaker Rd to Kelso; side trips to the Lava Tube and over to the dune if desired, Kelso-Cima Rd to Morning Star Mine Rd. (Camping at Midhills cmpgrnd is a good option), to Ivanpah Rd. to Nipton Rd. (definitely stop in Nipton General Store) which becomes NV 164 to Searchlight. Down I-95 to Christmas Tree Pass Rd. (side trip to GrapevineCyn Petroglyphs), to NV163 to Laughlin. Bullhead Hwy to AZ 153 to Oatman, AZ 10/Rte 66 to I-40 almost at Kingman.

But that's just me.....

I've been over all of that, some many times, except for that very last stretch from Oatman to I-40. That which I have been over I'd not hesitate to drive our truck/camper over, and the last stretch is supposedly old Rte 66 so it should be OK in camper. Oatman itself is kinda tight with a big vehicle, mostly because of the two & four legged jackass's in the road. :)

While you're there, "Tiffany" apparently will be giving a speech at OE-W. My bet is it would be worth the time.

https://advrider.com...tent=01_13_2019

Thom

Where does that road go?

#6 wildlife2019

wildlife2019

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationFarmingdale

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:34 AM

2. The Kelso Depot, built in 1924 and now used as the Visitor Center for Mojave National Preserve. Beautiful building! Of course, closed right now due to the gov’t shutdown...

Pardon me, being an easterner these are some strange sites.  I just did a maps.google.com search for the depot and this is one of the posted images that came up.  In the background spread out are what looks like, for lack of a better description, puffs of sand.  One of them on the left of the image appears in a definite funnel shape.  Maybe these are dust devils?

https://goo.gl/maps/wh9Q5vjETzR2

Edited by wildlife2019, 14 January 2019 - 12:34 AM.

Citizen of the World

https://nyti.ms/2HghC9D Jan 17, 2019 Vicki Goldberg NYT Art section Ansel Adams

https://www.census.gov/popclock/  "Net gain of one person every 14 seconds"

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:03 AM

dust devils

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:37 AM

Some interesting ideas. Part of the reason I posted up early so I'd have time to research, look at maps and so forth. Sure hope they approve my vacation. Another reason to plan early. Get my request in before everyone else.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:33 PM

:)

Edited by Stan@FourWheel, 15 April 2019 - 08:05 PM.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#10 patrkbukly

patrkbukly

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationFairplay, CO

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:11 AM

I am defenitely going this year and would love to be near the booth. Hell I can even help/volunteer and do something necessary if need be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users