Photo
- - - - -

Overland Expo West Must see sites along the way?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 cbadbox

cbadbox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 10 May 2019 - 04:29 AM

I will also be staying with the FWC group. White Toyota T-100 with recently acquired new to me 2017 Fleet shell model. 

#42 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 10 May 2019 - 03:15 PM

Anyone see a map of the grounds? Printed out the schedules but a map would help. Probably just wander about mostly but there are a couple classes that I'm interested in. Getting the dog to sit still for an hour might be problematic :)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#43 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 03:36 AM

Craig, 

This has kind of morphed into a general OX thread, but in regards to your original question, a stop by Bodie makes a cool quick trip since you will be on 395. Just south of Bridgeport, head east on Bodie Rd (270). It starts paved but most of the road is a washboard road that is nice and flat but can rattle your fillings out if you don't take it slow. If I remember, it took us 30-45 min to get there from 395. You could easily be satisfied wandering around there for an hour or so, and then get back on the road. It was crowded when we went last Oct, but it was still cool to wander around. Bodie is the biggest ghost town I have ever seen or heard of; it's almost a ghost city. There is a fee to get it, but it is worth it to see the place.

#44 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:35 AM

I've been to Bodie. I'm thinking of making a stop at the Trona Pinnacles along the way. Never been there. 

Looks like I'll be leaving earlier than I thought. Truck is prepped and 95% loaded up. Be good to finally get out for more than just an overnighter. Where I stop will be depending on snow, and how far I feel like driving. Weather is fairly good so far according to the ten day for 395 and Flagstaff though I'll pack shorts and rain gear just to be safe :)

#45 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:52 PM

If the opportunity presents itself one of the most surreal places I've ever bivouac camped was at the Pinnacles during a full moon. The access road is usually Saline Valley Rd. class washboard. Coming in from the South is whooped-out from all of the M/C's, ATV's etc. coming over from the Spangler Hills area.

If you go thru Panamint Valley then you'll be passing Father Crowley Point on CA190, which is a good spot to watch warbirds fly MOE in a tight canyon. Got to watch an F-14 drop-in the last time we were in the area. You'll also climb the grade over the upper end of the Slate Range. Note the slot cut at 90° to road cut at that summit. It is the old freight wagon road built by Remy Nadeau to service the mines in the Panamint Valley. I've been wanting to follow it from the southern end up to were it is crossed by the Trona-Wildrose Rd to the North of the Slate Range summit, but every time I've been in the area with the correct rig (i.e. NOT the camper) I've had somewhere that I had to get to. Nadeau was an interesting character, worth researching.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#46 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:03 PM

Venue map is available here.

I'm going to drive up with a friend for the day on Saturday.  Will be way too much to take in in one day but also all the time I can devote to it right now.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#47 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:57 PM

I was at Father Crowley point while it was snowing. Kinda scary. I heard the road has been graded but I better go back and check the post time. 

Thanks for the map link. Not sure why I never found that earlier. Emailed it to myself. I guess thats reason enough to grab the laptop. Tossing some last minute stuff in the camper and heading out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users