• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rogue Juan

Rogue Juan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:30 PM

I want to switch my Fleet camper to (2) 6 volt batteries in order to get more amp hours. However, as you can see in pics #1 & 2, the adjacent compartment extends above my 12 volt battery 1". The 6 volt batteries won't fit with enough clearance. I removed the vent grill to see what's in the adjacent compartment. It appears to be some controller with an exhaust fan on the left side (pic #3). Since the batteries are and will be sealed, I don't see why I need the separation between the 2 compartments. However, their's an angle brace supporting the upper cabinet that is attached to board that extends into the battery compartment (see pic #4). Any suggestions as to how I can safely modify the cabinets to accommodate the 6 volt batteries? The pics can be seen at https://www.facebook...97997920276293/

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,966 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:44 PM

That looks like your Iota battery charger.  I suspect you can modify the cabinet as you wish, but it might be easier/better to go LiFePo.  

#3 Rogue Juan

Rogue Juan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:11 PM

LifeP04s won't fit. They're even bigger. FWC wanted $700 to modify the cabinets and install (2) 6volt batteries, as they suggested.

#4 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:19 PM

Howdy

Have you determined taking showers is the highest battery demand ?

When we traveled extensively in a camper van we found lots of local options for finding showers.

Just a thought,

David Graves

#5 Rogue Juan

Rogue Juan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 03:42 AM

I live out of my FWC near a job site that has no showers Which is why I got the indoor shower.

#6 SCUD

SCUD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationOregon City, Oregon

Posted 23 February 2019 - 05:21 AM

Not only are LifePO4 12V batteries  larger, but a 100Amp one costs around $1000...

A pair of Fullriver 6-224 batteries will cost around $600; more if you have them shipped.  I know you're unhappy with 4WC, but another $100 to modify the compartment and install the batteries doesn't seem excessive, since it's probably a 1-2 hour job.  You can offset some of that cost by selling your existing 12V batteries.

In my opinion, before you invest $600 or more in batteries, you really should determine your daily amp usage.  It doesn't cost anything to do so, and it's fairly easy to do.  A simple spreadsheet is all you need, and there are many solar threads available.  Once you determine your daily usage, you may find that changing your usage patterns may be needed.  For example, you may find that turning your furnace thermostat down, reducing/eliminating shower time, reducing lighting usage, or other measures may help. 

2020 Hawk, rollover couch

2018 GMC Sierra 2500 SLT Z71, 6.0 liter Crew Cab 4WD, 6'-6" bed

Summer tires = Goodyear Wrangler SR-A LT265/60R20 121/118SE     

Winter/off-road tires = General Grabber ATX LT265/70R18 124S E1 

TorkLift StableLoads, Timbrens, no air bags

#7 Rogue Juan

Rogue Juan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 05:52 AM

I've modified my usage patterns & haven't really gained much in amp hours. It's only during a rainy week that my solar system is inadequate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users