6 replies to this topic

#1 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 10 March 2019 - 04:13 PM

Death Valley National Park’s visitation has doubled in the past 9 years  :o and increased by 30% over the past year. In 2018, a record 1,678,660 people recreated in the park. :blink: 

In my opinion internet access for information and mapping, plus GPS on our phones and vehicles, with social media (instagram, FB, blogs, etc) has created either the perfect storm or the golden era of exploration, depending upon your POV.   

Be careful what and where you share, folks.

We're not in Kansas anymore. 

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#2 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:16 PM

Agree. I'll add to the list, the demographic wave of Boomers, many of whom have the time, resources, and health to pursue an interest in outdoor trips and activities; a number up significantly from previous generations. (no offense to the readership :mellow: ). Along with pressure from the general population increase. And, importantly, global overtourism - a worldwide phenomenon.

I've read similar reports about other areas. Fortunately the massive increases are occurring, from what I've read, in mostly the best known and easily accessible places (to your point about sharing).

Unfortunately, in other front country, access is being lost thru protective restrictions and closures, infrastructure damage from increasing frequency and intensity of storms, huge wildfires, the usual ongoing human and industrial encroachment, etc.

So I think the focus of the masses is being, or will be, increasingly concentrated. For the more discerning of us, see it while you can !

#3 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:40 AM

Scary stats. It has all but ruined Big Sur. It used to be one of my favorite places, Spring time there was the best, I don’t bother anymore these days. Learned my lesson.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#4 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 11 March 2019 - 02:52 AM

In 2018, a record 1,678,660 people recreated in the park. :blink: 

Thinking this through, over the dinner table with a glass of wine.

1.6M people, but mostly over the winter months is something like 300k people per month, or 10k people every day.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#5 Atlin

Atlin

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationSequim, WA; Atlin, BC

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:13 PM

Thinking this through, over the dinner table with a glass of wine.

1.6M people, but mostly over the winter months is something like 300k people per month, or 10k people every day.

Statistics I saw were relatively constant numbers over the course of a year.  Summer visitors tend toward shorter visits.

#6 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:21 AM

This should cause a frenzy...

https://www.sfgate.c...#photo-17054116

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#7 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:44 AM

Sad.

Within the past few years I've become much more careful about the content I post. My photos aren't as high quality and I am careful not to give away too much geography so that the precious spots I visit aren't overused and abused. I wonder if a large portion of the visitors cited stay on paved roads and/or only visit the main tourist areas of the park. That's my hope of course.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users