• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#11 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:43 PM

I'm no wizard on this but I own an Eagle which requires 40" long struts as opposed to 36". (I used to have 30 now 40 pound lifters) That added length does change the lift dynamics as the first push up requires a bit of work as the struts are at an acute angle having very little lifting power....as they become more  upright the lift power increases rapidly. Likewise the pull down has more resistance at the start and less so as it drops. Getting the fan to get more pull is good. I certainly would not complain about "opening by itself"! 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#12 EnviroProf

EnviroProf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationWestern Pennsylvania

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:01 PM

Good timing for this thread. When I ordered my 2017 Fleet I didn't go with the FWC solar setup and did it on my own. I checked with the dealer and he said they would put the heavier struts on my camper since I was going to add panels. I'm not convinced that they did. It is a bit of a grunt to lift the top. 

How can you tell which struts you have? Can someone point me to a source to determine which struts I have from the model number. Is 40 lbs. the strongest recommended?

2017 Fleet

2013 Tacoma Quad Cab

#13 nevaska

nevaska

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:39 PM

It's not the opening by itself so much that bothers me, its that when I lower the front from inside it won't stay down long enough for me to get to the front latches before its popped up again. 

#14 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:54 PM

Most struts will have the rating printed on the strut body. You might need to remove them to see the info.

#15 EnviroProf

EnviroProf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationWestern Pennsylvania

Posted 16 May 2019 - 04:19 PM

Most struts will have the rating printed on the strut body. You might need to remove them to see the info.

Ah, I found it on one of the struts that was turned the right way. It is a Suspa C16-32561 16/37. I assume that means 37 lbs, which people are referring to as the 40 pounders.

2017 Fleet

2013 Tacoma Quad Cab

#16 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 May 2019 - 04:21 PM

The bodies twist to read into. 

So to be clear.... you close the front....then close the back.... then get out and the roof open in the front again by itself?

You need to go to the suspa site and put in the #.

Edited by buckland, 16 May 2019 - 04:22 PM.

Henry David Thoreau

#17 nevaska

nevaska

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:26 PM

Close the front with fan and windows/doors closed, go out and secure the front latches, then come back in and lower the rear. If I lower the front and then the rear the front pops up again. It's not a big problem, just strange that the front with two solar panels lifts itself while the rear with no weight acts normal. Guess I will get another solar panel for the front  :P

#18 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:46 PM

Never heard of that happening. I’d leave fan on .... open rear door and put the back down. Then go out and latch. If it is opening itself in the front something is not right with the struts.... if there is room for another panel up front and you have a big enough controller to handle the charge to battery I’d definitely go that route.

Henry David Thoreau

#19 TerrapinOverland.com

TerrapinOverland.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 04 April 2024 - 02:11 AM

Good day my WanderTheWest Four Wheel Campers friends.

I have a Project M that has 30LB struts and it is difficult to raise the roof.  I just put a couple of solar panels on the roof and now the roof is even more difficult and comes down very fast in the front.  I'd almost call it slams down on the front and the rear is not all that much better.

I currently have Suspa part number C160-22241 30LB struts.

Does anyone have a part number for the 40LB struts?  Based on this thread, I went ahead and ordered Suspa part number C16-15952 35 from Amazon. Is there a better part number?

Thanks.

#20 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 04 April 2024 - 03:50 AM

That was the correct part number for the 40 lb struts for my 2021 Grandby:

https://www.amazon.c...t/dp/B012HGQM7O

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas