40 replies to this topic

#21 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:39 PM

STT is a good looking tire. I'd consider 40k pretty darn good myself. I'll probably go with the Cooper AT3s next round but its a tough decision. I know my truck rides well with the BFGs. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#22 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:46 PM

I have a 4 wheel alignment done every 2 years, unless I bang a wheel too hard. 

Over the past 3 decades, I believe 5000 mile tire rotations, every other year alignments ...

Hmm ... a factor I haven't really considered.

Do you typically feel the alignment going out of spec over time ? Have the service shops reported back that adjustment was needed or beneficial ? Or is the regularity more of a "just checking" sort of exercise.

Tires are a compromise amongst mutually exclusive variables IMO.  You have to decide the variables important to you and select accordingly. 

Tend to agree. Add to that variations in people's expectations and satisfaction levels. One has only to read online reviews - first guy states a tire is absolute rubbish, next guy asserts the same tire is the best tire in the history of the world.

As for longevity, my Toyo AT2s still have life on them at ~30K miles. First set I replaced at ~25K so there must have been a change made to the rubber compound. Again, longevity can vary between owners depending on terrain use . I think gravel is tough on tires and, I understand, very hot asphalt temps can greatly accelerate wear for some rubber formulations (perhaps for All Weather tires)

And then there's also vehicle weight. At least here, reviews are from camper users.

Thanks to the posters :)

Edited by klahanie, 26 April 2019 - 08:58 PM.

#23 dharte

dharte

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 02:11 AM

I recently put some Goodyear Duratracs on my F250 with Hawk. Very expensive but in my opinion worth it. On my spring trip to Death Valley they worked exceptionally well on and off road. They are also relatively quiet on the highway (a little louder than a regular AT). Going over Carson Pass in a heavy snowstorm (chain controls in effect) the truck never lost traction. I hope they wear well, but my truck (which weights 10k pounds without passengers, and supplies)) eats up tires, regardless of brand in about 25k miles. I also looked at the new Falken Wildpeak, but they were sold out in my size nation wide. The guy at America’s tire said the Falken’s are the tire being spec’d on the new Jeep Wrangler truck.

#24 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 30 April 2019 - 03:11 PM

I've found the GY Duratracs the best tire I've ever ran.  As soon as the stock OEM tires on my Ram 2500 wear out I'll be back to the Duratracs.

I recently put some Goodyear Duratracs on my F250 with Hawk. Very expensive but in my opinion worth it. On my spring trip to Death Valley they worked exceptionally well on and off road. They are also relatively quiet on the highway (a little louder than a regular AT). Going over Carson Pass in a heavy snowstorm (chain controls in effect) the truck never lost traction. I hope they wear well, but my truck (which weights 10k pounds without passengers, and supplies)) eats up tires, regardless of brand in about 25k miles. I also looked at the new Falken Wildpeak, but they were sold out in my size nation wide. The guy at America’s tire said the Falken’s are the tire being spec’d on the new Jeep Wrangler truck.

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

#25 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:49 AM

I'm rolling with E rated Toyo Open Country's. My next set will be F rated of the same. 

#26 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 04 July 2019 - 06:14 PM

Another vote for the Toyo’s.

I have always been a Michelin fan and still like them a lot but I wanted a slightly wider tire for my F-350 that also had the benefit of increased load rating so I decided to try the Toyo’s.

I just got back from a 5400 mile trip to the Colorado Rockies and also spent some time in Utah.

We had the pleasure of being one of the first full size trucks up Hurricane Pass and the tires performed beautifully.
The road manners were great as well but they were a slight bit noisier than the Michelin’s.

Attached Thumbnails

• 385F3AFD-4CF5-4695-8688-7503EC3D22B1.jpeg

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#27 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 04 July 2019 - 11:25 PM

I got my third puncture on the BFG AT KO2s. Nothing like laying in the hot gravel changing a tire. I go to America's Tire Co. to get the flat repaired. I mention to the guy my spare is fourteen years old (no ones fault but my own that I ignored that way too long) and he goes "no, its sixteen years old. Ouch. He didn't have to try to hard to sell me new tires. I went with the Cooper Discoverer AT3s this time. So far they're riding quite nice. Just need to get a few days off to test them offroad. The best of the old BFGs is now my spare like I should have been doing all along.

I could have attempted to plug the tire, the rock penetration was in the middle of the tread and with hindsight and an old spare I probably should have. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#28 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,591 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:03 AM

Craig,I think you’ll like the Coopers. Sorry about the flat, that’s no fun.

I am haunted by waters

#29 karsonb

karsonb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationNW Oregon

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:13 AM

I went with Nokian E rated tires, made from canola oil, lowest rolling resistance of any tire, a recognized traction device, no chains needed. Great treadwear warrantee I am on mynsencindnset, and cannot believe how good these are. Best tires I have ever had, bar none.

#30 penner

penner

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:08 AM

I've got 17,000 KM on the AT3's now . Only thing I don't like about them is that they seem to pick up a lot of gravel. I think more than my KO2's but maybe that's just me. Did notice an awful lot of GY Duratracs on construction and hydro trucks on our drive through Labrador. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users