• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#11 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:29 AM

Does FWC say that using a Granby in a short bed is ok? If they don't, you'd have a hard time defending yourself from civil action in the case of an accident. .

Don't know about a Granby. How about a Keystone ? :)

http://www.wanderthe...bed/#entry77133

post-245-13558482448762_thumb.jpg

For me, the major Pro is, I like the room of our Granby. Don't think I'd want to go any smaller for us. I'm all about space and storage and find these campers small. Also, I don't think the F250 - or I - would have a prob with the over length.

But ... there can be A LOT more to consider. Most all of which depends on the owner.

#12 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:07 PM

FYI -- Some say you will get damage on tailgate if left down with longer camper.. 

I just checked mine yesterday. We have done 2, 3 week trips from Colorado to Baja in the last two years. Over 10000 miles in total and plenty of dirt roads. There is not a single chip in my tailgate. 

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#13 Bjammin

Bjammin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:45 PM

We've got the F150 with a 6.5 foot bed.  The Hawk fits like it was made for it (and it was) See picture above.

Attached Thumbnails

• _DSC7924.jpg

#14 Colorado Mark

Colorado Mark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationLittleton & Buena Vista, CO

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:35 PM

I have a 6.5' Chebby.

Wife & I where looking at both the Hawk & Grandby.  The extra 18" in the Grandby vs the Hawk is in the front dinette. At least on our model.  We wanted the bigger dinette (more storage)

I have zero problems with the tail gate down.  Sure it might eventually get dinged up from stuff thrown off the road but a white Chevy tailgate at the junk yard is $100. That's for a plain jane tailgate, no lock, camera, etc  Or, have it repainted for $500

Or, if you have a nice expensive tail gate you don't want to get pitted, have a shop apply rock guard (3M makes it) to the tail gate like they do for lower wheel well openings & rockers on new vehicles.

My truck carries the Grandby just fine.  I did add air bags for when I tow a side X side ATV on a trailer.

If you tow a trailer, some people get an extended ball mount.  That really screws up towing.   I added an extension & folding tongue to my trailer.  Just like a boat trailer uses so you can park it in the garage.

It would be nice to have a standard, long bed truck (8 feet) but mine is bought & paid for many years ago.  I'm not about to spend more on a truck than I did for my first house. :P

#15 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:32 PM

Might have a problem with your spare tire, getting it out, if you do that. Get the camper that fits the bed.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#16 Colorado Mark

Colorado Mark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:42 PM

On my Chebby, I went to a junk yard and found one more extension for my spare tire crank.

The stock one was two sections.  Just picked up another section for $1 at the junk yard.

#17 Colorado Mark

Colorado Mark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:20 PM

Hey Pennarcher,

This is what a Grandby looks like on a Silverado, 6.5 bed, tailgate down.  1" cut off rubber bumpers on the front of the camper.

My Silverado is a 2500HD, with trailer tow package and GM-RPO Z85 (increased capacity chassis package) 

Your Ford might be very similar.

i-zrw73Cg-L.jpg

i-kJg7QwR-L.jpg

i-QBt5bx4-L.jpg

#18 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:24 AM

We have a 2007 FWC Keystone which we carry on a 1993 Dodge W250.   We love the extra space of the Keystone (but we miss the even roomier interior space of our 1984 Keystone). 

We do not have the built in toilet and use a porta potty.  In the area at the rear where the built in toilet would go I built a shelf that is just high enough for the porta potty to slide under.  On top of the shelf I installed a plastic 4-drawer unit for clothing.  It sure beats living out of suitcases on our long trips!

Camper 4 Drawer Unit

I leave the tailgate on.  The camper extends about half way out the tailgate.  The remaining ledge is a nice place to step when getting in and out.  Also standing on the ledge makes tucking in the canvas at the rear easy.

The height of the tailgate on our camper is about 4 feet above the ground so no worries about tailgate damage (and we have none from rocks).  I think the tailgate protects the bottom of the camper from water and dirt as well as gives it a little extra support - not to mention the short porch it creates.  ;-).

Edited by ckent323, 23 April 2019 - 01:30 AM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#19 oldhotrod

oldhotrod

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 23 April 2019 - 04:22 AM

A large majority of the weight on my Granby is center forward. It is obvious every time I load or unload the camper as the weight is supported during most of the process on one jack...and loading with camper on jacks, very little weight on the back and one day I'll remember to put a scale under one jack...

#20 OutToLunch

OutToLunch

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:23 AM

I have an ATC Ocelot on a F150 Supercab with 6.5 bed. No complaints. It works well when i solo (with two 75 lb dogs), when my wife and dogs comes with me and even when my teenage son and dogs comes with me. I figure that if I had more space, I’d just end up taking more junk that I don’t really need and probably will not use. I try to keep it simple.

If I had to do over, I might consider the opposite of what you are considering: an Ocelot or Hawk in an eight foot bed so I had space behind the camper and could use the tailgate for bench, table, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users