16 replies to this topic

#1 gullrock

gullrock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:06 PM

Question for experienced campers  .

I purchased my first FWC last year , 07 Hawk , 695lbs empty  , sitting on my half ton Dodge Ram 4by4 .

Im doing my first two week trip soon and wondering if its wise to leave camper jacks at home ?   I wont be off roading or bushing. Driving to one spot and sitting.

I dont have access to a scale but four mech Rico Titan jacks 80-90lbs ?

TIA

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:09 PM

Question for experienced campers .

I purchased my first FWC last year , 07 Hawk , 695lbs empty , sitting on my half ton Dodge Ram 4by4 .

Im doing my first two week trip soon and wondering if its wise to leave camper jacks at home ? I wont be off roading or bushing. Driving to one spot and sitting.

I dont have access to a scale but four mech Rico Titan jacks 80-90lbs ?

TIA

Leave them at home. If you back into something or someone backs into you, good chance there will be significant frame damage. Not worth the risk jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:15 PM

...leave camper jacks at home ? ...

I do. My camper is on my truck 99% of the time -- years go by for me without need for jacks. They're no need for jacks except for dismounting the camper.

...If you back into something or someone backs into you, good chance there will be significant frame damage...

I did. Long ago, back before I removed the jacks, I was so excited to leave home on a camping trip that I backed out of my parking spot next to the driveway and into a pine tree -- hit on the right rear jack...bent it. It's still cock-eyed.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#4 bfh4n

bfh4n

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationLovingston, Virginia

Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:18 PM

I agree with Longhorn1: Leave them at home unless you plan to take the camper off the truck at your destination.

Driving around with those things sticking down is an accident waiting to happen.

- Bernard

2014 silver Fleet front-dinette

2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD TRD V6 6-speed

#5 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:16 PM

I was one of the "Last Ones " who left them on but after almost 12 years I took them off. Why?  I kept thinking I would find that perfect place to hide, drop the camper, and be able to head to town, go places fishing, ect and come back to my hidaway.  Never did, seems like my place in Susanville has all,that, pus my house and friends and like Mark BC have never had the interest or need in taking the taking the dang camper off. Although I miss hanging things on them in camp ^_^! Yep take them off,especially if you plan to leave the camper on all the time.

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 30 April 2019 - 02:18 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:01 PM

No damage is irreparable but ripping out a camper jack comes close. Just read the stupid things I've done thread and say "it could never happen to me". 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 04:16 AM

We leave ours at home. Hauled them to Baja once (in our trailer, not on the camper) and we did take the camper off the truck, but it was a real pain getting it back on straight in the sand.

Edited by camper rich, 01 May 2019 - 04:17 AM.

#8 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 01 May 2019 - 01:06 PM

Like others, we leave ours at home.  The only reason would be as others implied.  If you were going to go somewhere where you need to drive somewhere and you are going to be there for a while (month?) you might want to take the camper off but generally, it's not worth the hassle and having them hanging off the camper (as others stated) could cause issues (and the weight concerns).  

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#9 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 01 May 2019 - 01:09 PM

I leave them at home.  Mostly due to the fact the floor must be supported when the camper is off the truck and you want to enter it.  I don't want to tote a support platform so need to carry the jacks.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#10 gullrock

gullrock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 02:50 PM

Well then its unanimous . Jacks will be staying home . Thanks for the great advice everyone .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users