• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:16 PM

I'm considering the installation of a "car" stereo and speakers in my Hawk.  I figure a 2" CD player with Bluetooth and what-not and a couple of car stereo speakers, maybe four (two inside, two outside) would work well.

Any install or speaker placement tips?  I am considering placing the speakers through the wall to the outside.  I had a pop-up camper with external speakers and it was kind of nice to sit under the awning at the end of the day and sip a cocktail with some music.  Anyone done such and what were the pros and cons?

Edited by Ace!, 02 May 2019 - 09:17 PM.

#2 MountainSufi

MountainSufi

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:51 PM

Consider instead the portable bluetooth JBL Extreme or Extreme 2: https://smile.amazon...ef=nb_sb_noss_1

Huge 15 hour rechargeable battery. Lotta bass. Rugged (& check Ebay for aftermarket neoprene form-fitting storage bags). Portable; take it outside and/or listen inside with no leaky holes in side walls.

One speaker is mono, but will pair in stereo with a 2nd (which you won't miss, but can always add later).

Forget the friggin cd player. Subscribe to Spotify Premium for Family @ 14.99/month. You and yours can use it on 5 devices & download up to 3,333 songs on your smartphone (get a micro cd memory). This means when you're camping outside wifi you don't have to use cell phone data playing music. Spotify Premium also has the highest fidelity (no ads), so it'll sound fab on your home system. This sucker is LOUD.

The JBL speaker will give more versitality and probably better sound than your proposed system. Order it from Amazon for a 30 day trial; if you don't like it, return it. You won't. Don't order the cheapest you can find on Ebay; Lousy Chinese knockoffs there.

Don't take my word. Check out YouTube:

https://www.youtube....urce=opensearch

This is better sound than most 'Mericans have in their homes. You'll end up being a salesman when others hear it.

Edited by MountainSufi, 03 May 2019 - 12:06 AM.

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
2012 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
2017 Fleet FWC, Side Dinette (Purchased from Rocky Mt. FWC)

"We're all in this together"--The Red Green Show

#3 MountainSufi

MountainSufi

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:56 PM

Oh yeah... Wall mounted speakers will dig into insullation, and you'll be committed to that size or lager. Probably crappy bass to boot. Forgot to mention the JBL can be sit on it's end on top of the fridge. AND, the JBL's will pair to your laptop, so you can have a bitchin' movie night!

Edited by MountainSufi, 02 May 2019 - 11:59 PM.

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
2012 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
2017 Fleet FWC, Side Dinette (Purchased from Rocky Mt. FWC)

"We're all in this together"--The Red Green Show

#4 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 03 May 2019 - 12:49 AM

If, however, it’s local radio or weather one wants, the am/fm unit is good. WestMarine.com sells a variety of stereo units that may meet your needs. https://www.westmari...om/marine-audio

I have an EcoxBox Bluetooth portable speaker that works fine for our musical use with phone, iPad, or laptop. It certainly is not THX quality, but fine for camping. I usually use headphones for music anyway.

To each his own. :)

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#5 Adventurebound

Adventurebound

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 03 May 2019 - 01:29 AM

We use this. No holes, no fuss.

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B00CM0XHNS

Plus it doubles as a stereo system when playing movies on our tablet at night

#6 geologyjohn

geologyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 01:49 AM

Me, I just bring my XM/Sirius "boom box" radio along.  I can use it in my "Hawk" or outdoors around the campfire.  No mods to make to my rig.  Have my same 200 +/- radio stations wherever I am at in the U.S.A.  Thats enough audio choices for me and my friends.  Geologyjohn

#7 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 03 May 2019 - 01:58 AM

Me, I just bring my XM/Sirius "boom box" radio along.  I can use it in my "Hawk" or outdoors around the campfire.  No mods to make to my rig.  Have my same 200 +/- radio stations wherever I am at in the U.S.A.  Thats enough audio choices for me and my friends.  Geologyjohn

I am very impressed with how good these units sound.  Very nice bass and a full rich sound. I know a couple car dealerships that use them to play music on the dealership floor.

Re the OPs original thought.  I would avoid installing a BT car audio deck.  You'll likely want to reserve your campers battery power for other use ie. heat, lights, fan

With the huge number of 12V portable, rechargeable options there should be something to suit your needs.

I like the fact that I can recharge my Monster speaker while I'm driving and not have to use the campers battery power to enjoy music.  We also use it away from the camper quite often.

Edited by Bill D, 03 May 2019 - 02:08 AM.

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,591 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 03 May 2019 - 02:32 AM

We use this. No holes, no fuss.
https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B00CM0XHNS
Plus it doubles as a stereo system when playing movies on our tablet at night

This is what we use as well. Impressive sound. You can also pair them for stereo affect.

I am haunted by waters

#9 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 03 May 2019 - 05:18 AM

Bummer no one has experience to share related to the question.

I have three portable speakers by different manufacturers, including Bose and JBL, but that's not really relevant.

I'd like a dedicated head unit, with CD, BT, satellite. Any input related to the original post?

#10 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:10 PM

I like Alpine head units. I have no use for CDs anymore but since you specified, Alpine CDE-175BT CD, $200 from Crutchfield. Buy an XM plug-in for the aux port. You might be able to find it for less than that, but Crutchfield sends along good install instructions/videos and can also pre-wire it for you. Memphis, Kicker, any other brand for rugged speakers. Although, you can head into any Walmart, O’Reillys, etc and find Dual brand products for much less.

Edited by Mighty Dodge Ram, 03 May 2019 - 03:11 PM.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users