28 replies to this topic

#21 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:36 AM

Well trailer is a beauty and just what I planned on...long day after picking it up...had to buy ICBC insurance [BC govt ins] for the trailer to drive the 28 miles from Delta BC shipping yard to USA border...got to their insurance office in Sunshine, BC at 0700 [spent the night going up to BC at friend's house, 404 miles from my home, in Lake Stevens; got up at 0300 hrs to 'miss traffic' coming home.. but they opened at 0900 hrs...picked up trailer and got to border about 1130 hrs, waited in vehicle line for 1 hour and then at customs desk area for 2 hours...customs never even looked at the BC insurance nor inspected the trailer [which did have the DOT sticker] just looked at Invoice and filled out an import form [$10], no duty fee or importation taxes, then sent me on my way...hit near Seattle at commute time [traffic anywhere near Seattle was insane] so I took a non-freeway [Hwy 2] home before Seattle through the Cascades Mts....great scenery but put me home at 2345 hrs after around a 750+ mile day..trailer tows great and I already have the kayak saddles mounted with 36 inches between them for my off road MC...

I am too old for those marathon drives!  I guess getting older does not mean getting wiser...  B)   Thanks to all of you that offered information and advice.

Phil

#22 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:51 AM

Timely post for me :( I modified a Jet Ski trailer to haul my Kayaks and Canoe. Was returning from a weekend trip yesterday and had issue. Luckily my bud was following us and saw the issue. The wheel bearing in the passenger side trailer wheel seized up. This trailer has smaller wheels and not "standard" size tires. I may now have to rethink my setup. I will easily (I hope) replace the bearings on this but may look at upgrading. I will admit I had not checked wheels in awhile. I had bearing buddies on it and "assumed" all was OK. Whatever your setup... kepp checking if you haul long distances :(

Attached Thumbnails

• boats.png

#23 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:16 PM

If I can figure out how to post a photo...I will show how I rigged the trailer for the kayaks; you trailer looks very clean.  All a learning curve for me; had option of 2K GVW but went with 3K GVW not for weight increase but because the axle bearings are beefier/larger, same for upgrading from 14" wheels to 15" wheels...my change from "C" to "D" rated trailer tires [learned that trailer tires are not the same as car tires; trailer tires have stouter side walls] probably was an overkill and may produce a stiffer/bumpy ride on rough surfaces unless I really load down the trailer, which I will not be doing unless I load my R1200 GSA and not my WR250R motorcycle along with kayaks ....currently doping out the correct tongue weight for my load...so far so good, about 13% with just kayaks.

Phil

#24 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,591 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:19 PM

Phil, there are a couple of pinned threads on photos in the member support forum.

I am haunted by waters

#25 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 17 June 2019 - 04:50 PM

SWEET!!!! She's home now! And lucky for you there is nothing more as far as government fees to pay....Enjoy her!!!

#26 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:13 PM

Ok will try to post image.....this is a photo testing if contact would be made with kayaks in tight turn with Tundra/Hawk...if this works I will post other photos show set-up...

Front.jpg

Thanks Sagebrush for pointing me in right direction...

Phil

Added:  Bumper will hit trailer tongue eventually if it jack knifes but not the kayaks...2.5 feet over bed in front and 4.5 feet overhang in rear...again 5 foot tongue and 5 x 10 bed..

Edited by Wallowa, 17 June 2019 - 09:29 PM.

#27 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:15 PM

It worked, so here is rear view showing 36" space between boats where my MC will be strapped down...

Rear.jpg

Phil

#28 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,591 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:59 PM

Phil, my worry gene is working. I would be concerned about the boats getting rear ended.

My solution was to buy an Aluma trailer with 24” sides, then bolted Yakima gutter clips to the sides so I can use my old rain gutter style towers and bars. If you get the same worry gene going, it looks like you could use your stake pockets to build a rack that elevates the boats over your bike, and gets them out of reach of careless drivers.

I am haunted by waters

#29 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:35 PM

Phil, my worry gene is working. I would be concerned about the boats getting rear ended.

My solution was to buy an Aluma trailer with 24” sides, then bolted Yakima gutter clips to the sides so I can use my old rain gutter style towers and bars. If you get the same worry gene going, it looks like you could use your stake pockets to build a rack that elevates the boats over your bike, and gets them out of reach of careless drivers.

Good suggestion...I considered that then went the way I did...elevating the kayaks up a even a few feet might get them above the bumpers of some cars but would of course not clear the hood or windshield ...elevating them does put them more in the line of view of drivers coming up from behind..

Will hang the obligatory red pennants and have bought small bicycle flashing red strobes to hang on the back end of each kayak...

Putting them up high enough to allow the bike to go under them [cross bars] would really get them up in the turbulent air and raise CG...plus not being as secure as on deck of trailer they will move more even if the rack is well made...I am finding already that a trailer without shocks tends to bounce and jostle the load on any road surface irregularity..

I go take to heart your idea and always have the future option to change the design; and yes my "worry genes' are intact and must constantly be quelled! .

Thanks,

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users