Photo
- - - - -

Tips for driving Highway 50 across Nevada in July?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 July 2019 - 01:16 PM

My son and his wife are planning to drive from the Bay area to Denver via Yosemite and Hwy 50 at the end of July. I thought I would post here to see if anyone has any tips for the Hwy 50 portion. They are a bit worried about the potential heat in the desert. Is that an issue? They will be driving a rental car. They are planning to stay in Ely one night. Thanks for any thoughts you have to share.

Edited by takesiteasy, 01 July 2019 - 01:17 PM.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#2 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 01:48 PM

carry water

#3 nevaska

nevaska

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 02:29 PM

I drive 50 through Nevada regularly for work, it's very well trafficked and maintained, no real objective dangers. 4G cell service almost the entire drive. Highs in July probably in the mid 80s to mid 90s. But for sure carry a couple gallons of water. Fuel up in Fallon and they'll be good all the way to Ely. Stop in to the Pony Express Deli in Eureka for good food (don't drink the water) and get a jar of spicy chow chow. The much less traveled part of 50 is from Great Basin NP to Delta, UT, probably still no cell service through that section.  

Edited by nevaska, 01 July 2019 - 02:32 PM.

#4 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 01 July 2019 - 04:05 PM

Hwy 50 across Nevada is remote but shouldn't be a problem if you have a reliable car. As Nevaska says - be sure to gas up whenever possible as the towns are a couple of hours apart. One of my favorite places to eat is at Middlegate Station near Fallon. I have my InReach with me all of the time - it's not just for backcountry emergencies- you never know where you might end up and need help!!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 01 July 2019 - 04:47 PM

It’s a nice trip, stop at Hickison Summit CG, near Austin for a break. There’s some interesting rock art there. As far as heats concerned, it’s hot, but not as energy sapping as NE Iowa heat and humidity. Pay attention to the speed limits in towns. If Middlegate Station that Ronin mentions, is the place I think it is, on more vote for an eatery.

I am haunted by waters

#6 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 02 July 2019 - 01:55 AM

Keep in mind this isn't Hwy 80 with multiple lanes and a wide shoulder.  There is no shoulder for most of 50 and you will need to maintain your focus on the road.  If you get drowsy, you need to stop.  Drifting past the white line means you are off the road and on dirt or gravel.

#7 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 02 July 2019 - 02:01 AM

Thanks for the comments everyone. Keep them coming :) We've driven Hwy 50 in the winter but that is a whole different thing. We did visit the Hickson petroglyph site and enjoyed that. Camped at the Bob Scott USFS campground- and were definitely by ourselves there in December, haha.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

#8 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 02 July 2019 - 02:13 AM

Well, now they are talking about taking Hwy 6 to Ely from Wawona. Is that a similar road and situation?

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

#9 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 02:17 AM

+1 for Hickison Petroglyphs. I don't know that I would camp there, but it is a cool spot to get out and stretch the legs. There lots of petroglyphs to see right near camp. We stopped there last September on our way to Great Basin and took a short 10 minute microhike and saw lots of them.

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 02 July 2019 - 03:18 AM

Well, now they are talking about taking Hwy 6 to Ely from Wawona. Is that a similar road and situation?

Highway 6 is the lonelier road but a good two lane. It is a flatter route with fewer mountain passes. Gas up in Tonopah, the nest gas is Ely. I suspect their route is 120 over Tioga and on to Benton where they will junction with 6 and then on across to Ely. Good route we've driven many times. No worries but also no services between Tonopah and Ely. The way we like it. We were just out there. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users