• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 57Pan

57Pan

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:46 AM

I went to title my camper, an ATC bobcat in Washington and they want to put a ridiculous price on it for sale tax purposes. I bought it for a good price and I have a receipt for what the previous owner paid in 2012 also, and they want me to pay taxes on the equivalent that he paid. Apparently there isn’t any listing on nada or Kelly blue book for ATC campers. What would you think a 2011 bobcat should be valued at ?

#2 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:58 AM

In B.C., and the rest of Canada I presume, if it doesn't have wheels allowing it to travel on a road, then it doesn't need a license and insurance is optional. This lack of a license does not prevent the government from collecting 12% sales, and goods and services taxes though.

Does a canopy in WA need a license? A popup camper could be mistaken for a canopy when the roof is down.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#3 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:19 PM

Here in Nevada there is a money grab on vehicle taxes. Doesn’t matter what you paid there is a schedule which taxes are paid on vehicles. There is the option to have your property evaluated. Had success once with that. Sadly you will have to fight for your rights.
Good luck!
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#4 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 16 July 2019 - 01:04 PM

I wonder if there could have been some confusion about how the state would use the figure from the initial sale of the camper. The paragraph below (from here) appears to say the value of the camper would be reduced by the percentage in the years-of-service table.  Note also that it says the retail price of the camper when it was first offered for sale when new less optional equipment, taxes, and delivery costs.  If I'm reading it correctly, the value would be 55% of the base price of a 2011 Bobcat.  If that's not clear on the paperwork you have, I'd ask ATC for it.

(Note- WTW software doesn't like the table format from the Washington state web site (below).  Until I figure out a better way to post it, the first number is the number of years of service and the second the percentage.  Example: the percentage for an eight year old camper would be 55%.)

----------

RCW 82.50.425

Valuation of travel trailers and campers.
For the purpose of determining the tax under this chapter, the value of a travel trailer or camper is the manufacturer's base suggested retail price of the travel trailer or camper when first offered for sale as new, excluding any optional equipment, applicable federal excise taxes, state and local sales or use taxes, transportation or shipping costs, or preparatory or delivery costs, multiplied by the applicable percentage listed in this section based on the year of service.
If the manufacturer's base suggested retail price is unavailable or otherwise unascertainable at the time of initial registration in this state, the department shall determine a value equivalent to a manufacturer's base suggested retail price as follows:
(1) The department shall determine a value using any information that may be available, including any guidebook, report, or compendium of recognized standing in the automotive industry or the selling price and year of sale of the travel trailer or camper. The department may use an appraisal by the county assessor. In valuing a travel trailer or camper for which the current value or selling price is not indicative of the value of similar travel trailers or campers of the same year and model, the department shall establish a value that more closely represents the average value of similar travel trailers or campers of the same year and model. If the travel trailer or camper is home-built, the value shall not be less than the cost of construction.
(2) The value determined in subsection (1) of this section shall be divided by the applicable percentage listed in this section to establish a value equivalent to a manufacturer's base suggested retail price. The applicable percentage shall be based on the year of service of the travel trailer or camper for which the value is determined.
YEAR OF SERVICE
PERCENTAGE

or older

-----------

Note: I have no experience with this. I just did some searches and this appears to address the question. 

Edited by Old Crow, 16 July 2019 - 02:30 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#5 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 16 July 2019 - 01:47 PM

When I lived in Washington I purchased my camper used from a couple who had bought it in Oregon where no title or license was required.  Because I was financing the bank required a title but it was a quick trip to the courthouse with the original owner for them to title it and say they had moved into Washington after the camper was well used, no extra fees were required.

I never did put a license on it and never had an issue.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#6 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:24 PM

In B.C., and the rest of Canada I presume, if it doesn't have wheels allowing it to travel on a road, then it doesn't need a license and insurance is optional. This lack of a license does not prevent the government from collecting 12% sales, and goods and services taxes though.

Does a canopy in WA need a license? A popup camper could be mistaken for a canopy when the roof is down.

I believe Washington state covers this in the definition of a camper....

------

RCW 46.04.085
Camper.
"Camper" means a structure designed to be mounted upon a motor vehicle which provides facilities for human habitation or for temporary outdoor or recreational lodging and which is five feet or more in overall length and five feet or more in height from its floor to its ceiling when fully extended, but shall not include motor homes as defined in RCW 46.04.305.
------

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#7 57Pan

57Pan

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 16 July 2019 - 04:37 PM

Thanks Old Crow that is very interesting info and I hope helpful. I'm going back today to try and transfer title. According to your info  the taxable value shouldn't really be any higher than $7150.

#8 57Pan

57Pan

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 17 July 2019 - 01:44 PM

Okay went back to the Dept.of Licensing to try and transfer title with a copy of RCW. They wouldn't except that information and told me I had to go have it appraised. This is getting really old, they have no value listed for  ATC campers and they are not listed in Kelly Blue book or Nada and they aren't willing to except the signed receipt from the seller for what I paid for it. Have no choice I guess than to try and get it appraised at local RV dealer. One person at a local satellite licensing agency told be if the appraisal was not over $2000 of the purchase price that I would only pay tax on purchase price. They wonder why people get an anti government attitude, when you are just trying to do the right thing.

#9 57Pan

57Pan

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 19 July 2019 - 02:45 AM

Finally got some where, went to local rv dealer, they said they couldn’t give me an appraisal, some bs about liability. So went back to local satellite licensing agent, told them I couldn’t get an appraisal. They gave me a phone number to state revenue dept.I called them and explained my situation, they spent a few minutes on the computer and came back and excepted the price I payed for it. Had to drive 45 minutes to revenue office payed the taxes on it. So now I can finally get the title transferred.

#10 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 July 2019 - 12:44 PM

That’s quite an ordeal, I’m glad it’s over for you. Now it’s time to get out and have fun...

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users