• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:27 AM

Hello all. My wife and I have a new Grandby arriving in four weeks. We are super excited to receive her! We own a 2017 F-150 standard cab with a eight foot bed. I ordered it with the max towing package. Mods I’m doing are changing the tires to E range for starters. I’m wondering if I should add air bags also? Would appreciate F150 owners input on this. Thanks in advance for your responses.

#2 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 19 July 2019 - 11:43 AM

Welcome!! Not an F150 but I have an F250 with a fully optioned Hawk. I added airbags and onboard air with controller. I use the bags aired up for better stability on the road. Let air out when off road and let suspension do it's job. Hence the onboard air and controller making it easy. I can also use the controller a bit to help level the rig when camping dispersed or off grid. You will love your setup stock but little upgrades help. GOOD idea on the E rated and more aggressive tires!

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,591 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 July 2019 - 12:23 PM

Wj, welcome to WTW. It’s a great group of folks. Let’s see some photos of that new camper.

I am haunted by waters

#4 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 19 July 2019 - 01:50 PM

When she arrives I’ll share some pics. Thanks all.

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,339 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 July 2019 - 03:01 PM

Welcome! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 19 July 2019 - 05:22 PM

Hi, WjColdWater....

My experience with my Hawk on an '01 F150 and a '13 Tundra is that I didn't HAVE to add airbags but in the end I decided I wanted them.  And I'm glad I decided to go ahead. 

I had bought my Hawk used and as a rig (both truck and camper).  The previous owner never had airbags and I used the camper for a year before deciding to add them.  When I moved the camper to the Tundra, I again waited a year to see if I thought them necessary.

In the end, my reasons for adding the bags were (1)  correct a side-to-side lean, (2) correct a very minor rear-end sag and (3) stiffen the suspension a bit.

Also-  I'd take FWC's advice on this Getting Your Truck Ready for Your Camper page and contact FWC for advice on your specific truck and your specific camper.  I'd want to be ready to get the most out of that call or email by providing details on my truck (including its payload) and what I'll be taking with me (estimated weight of gear and passengers would be helpful, for example) and how I'll be using the rig.  In making this contact, we have to recognize that FWC is probably going to say you'll need airbags (if not more).  But the point would be you want to see what the reasoning is for the recommendation. 

Also--

In the weeks you have left before picking up the camper, you might want to view (or re-view!) the troubleshooting and how-to videos on the FWC web site and perhaps write down questions on anything that doesn't seem clear or needs more explanation.  On pick-up day you'll have a lot of information coming at you and those can help you be ready for it.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#7 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 19 July 2019 - 06:11 PM

It would be good to also pay for 2 gauge or 4 gauge wire instead if the typical 10 gauge wire for the power leads from the truck to the camper. You will have 30 to 40 feet round trip from your truck’s battery to your camper batteries. The voltage drop in 10 gauge wire for that distance will significantly reduce the amount of camper battery charging the truck alternator will provide as you drive.

Welcome, and happy camping.
Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:29 PM

Welcome to the cult.

This is a great site for lots of info.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 19 July 2019 - 11:02 PM

Welcome to the group. I have a 2014 Grandby on a 2013 F250 crew, longbed with no changes to the suspension, only E rated tires.

Hello all. My wife and I have a new Grandby arriving in four weeks. We are super excited to receive her! We own a 2017 F-150 standard cab with a eight foot bed. I ordered it with the max towing package. Mods I’m doing are changing the tires to E range for starters. I’m wondering if I should add air bags also? Would appreciate F150 owners input on this. Thanks in advance for your responses.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#10 firemen7

firemen7

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationEscondido, CA

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:41 AM

Welcome to WTW it’s one of the best site for information you will ever come across.
Enjoy you new setup!

2009 Single cab Silverado Z71 & 2005 Hawk
2018 Crew cab Silverado 4X4 & 2018 Hawk

2020 RAM 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 & 2018 Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users