#11 deezlgeezr

deezlgeezr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:23 PM

Jack, your explanation seems very logical. Opening the battery doors on my front dinette Hawk also has worked to silence the alarm. 

I'm guessing that enlarging or modifying the 'vent' hole in the outer side of the battery compartment might be part of the eventual solution. Gotta create someplace else for those 'gasses' to go besides into the occupied area of the camper.

2016 Ram 2500 4X4 Laramie CC SB AT 6.7L Cummins

2017 Hawk Silver Spur Front Dinette 

#12 radarcontact

radarcontact

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationWyoming, USA

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:41 AM

I can contribute to this a little...had the same problem when I bought my 2015 Hawk.  Thought it was a bad detector, and FW sent me a new one.  Same thing happened.  

I park my camper in the garage when I'm not using it.  Detector would seem to go off in garage, but nowhere else.

Did some research, and found that, as Jack noted, off-gassing of batteries will cause the detector to go off, particularly in tight spaces where air circulation is a minimum.  Car exhaust (garage) and a multitude of other things have the ability to set it off.

My solution was to install a simple computer on/off switch, for when camper was garaged, like this one: 

https://www.amazon.c...aps,248&sr=8-19

Spliced into the detector lines and drilled a small hole in the cabinet to mount the switch.  Works great.

After having the switch for 3+ years, I can honestly report that I haven't turned it on even once.

Was a nice install job, anyway.  

Edited by radarcontact, 28 August 2019 - 02:43 AM.

#13 Alan7H

Alan7H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:12 AM

Been having similar problem - Propane Detector won't stop beeping.

My propane detector in fairly new FWC Fleet goes off seemingly at random. (Atwood model LPCO)

Never with any propane odorant smell - or any symptoms.

Used a separate handheld portable propane detector (UEi Test Instruments CD100A) - to confirm no propane leak inside the camper (or inside the propane tank compartment).

Wrote to FWC service folks and this is the response I got:

I am sorry to hear about your troubles.

Currently, we have a temporary fix for this issue until we can come up with a more permanent solution.

What is happening, is that the detector is reading possible off-gassing inside of the cabinet.

It could be the linoleum flooring or just the plastic from the propane cabinet.

What we have doing to rectify the current situation is, removing the propane detector(remove the trim ring by using a small screwdriver at the top of the unit, then remove the 4 screws), and sealing the backside of the detector with clear silicon.

There will be many small holes including around where the wires exit the back of the unit. Using gloves, press the silicon into the area with the wires.

There will be two larger(thin) holes on two sides. These need to be sealed as well. Once that is done and it has dried, reinstall the sensor and all should be fine.

By doing this, we are not modifying the way the unit works, we are only having the unit sense the common air inside of the main cabin where you sleep.

We are sure if you give this a try, it will fix your issue. In the upcoming months we should have a more permanent solution to this.

Let me know if you need anything beyond this.

Aaron Geiger

Service Advisor

530-666-1442

Svc2@Fourwh.com

So, as suggested, today I used some clear silicone to close up all the holes between the front side of the propane detector (where the sensors are) and the the back which faces into the cabinet. 

Will be out for a few nights - and will see if we still get awakened at 3 AM (why is it always 3 AM?)

~ Alan

#14 deezlgeezr

deezlgeezr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for the information Alan; even though the process is somewhat involved it's great that SOMEONE (from FWC) took the time to research it & submit a reply which seems like a workable solution. 

You can bet I'll be doing it at some point! Thanks again!  :thumb:

2016 Ram 2500 4X4 Laramie CC SB AT 6.7L Cummins

2017 Hawk Silver Spur Front Dinette 

#15 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,591 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:57 PM

Alan, thanks for taking the time to post the the response from FWC, a number of members have experienced the problem, and this is very helpful.

Been having similar problem - Propane Detector won't stop beeping.

My propane detector in fairly new FWC Fleet goes off seemingly at random. (Atwood model LPCO)
Never with any propane odorant smell - or any symptoms.

Used a separate handheld portable propane detector (UEi Test Instruments CD100A) - to confirm no propane leak inside the camper (or inside the propane tank compartment).

Wrote to FWC service folks and this is the response I got:

I am sorry to hear about your troubles. [/size]

Currently, we have a temporary fix for this issue until we can come up with a more permanent solution. [/size]

What is happening, is that the detector is reading possible off-gassing inside of the cabinet. [/size]

It could be the linoleum flooring or just the plastic from the propane cabinet. [/size]

What we have doing to rectify the current situation is, removing the propane detector(remove the trim ring by using a small screwdriver at the top of the unit, then remove the 4 screws), and sealing the backside of the detector with clear silicon. [/size]

There will be many small holes including around where the wires exit the back of the unit. Using gloves, press the silicon into the area with the wires. [/size]

There will be two larger(thin) holes on two sides. These need to be sealed as well. Once that is done and it has dried, reinstall the sensor and all should be fine. [/size]

By doing this, we are not modifying the way the unit works, we are only having the unit sense the common air inside of the main cabin where you sleep. [/size]

We are sure if you give this a try, it will fix your issue. In the upcoming months we should have a more permanent solution to this. [/size]

Let me know if you need anything beyond this.[/size]

Aaron Geiger
Service Advisor
530-666-1442
Svc2@Fourwh.com

So, as suggested, today I used some clear silicone to close up all the holes between the front side of the propane detector (where the sensors are) and the the back which faces into the cabinet. 

Will be out for a few nights - and will see if we still get awakened at 3 AM (why is it always 3 AM?)

~ Alan

I am haunted by waters

#16 MountainSufi

MountainSufi

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 12:03 AM

Hey Wandering Sagebrush, Howdy from Jackson Hole!

Thankx for the FWC Service tip of removing the propane detector trim ring by "using a small screwdriver at the top of the trim ring". My note: Jimmy the ring loose the inserting the screwdriver into the bottom of the ring top. The plastic is pliant enuff it didn't break or crack.

I realize for legal reasons FWC has to include a smoke alarm & propane detector. But cooking inside has led most all of us to take the battery out of the smoke alarm.

I've disabled my propane detector by taking off the ring around it, unscrewing the 4 screw attachments and simply unplugging the ground wire. Why? No false alarms or dog farts can set it off. I'll use common sense plenty of ventilation (top & bottom). Criticize me all you want, but I know a FWC dealer who's done the same.

Happy Trails! 

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
2012 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
2017 Fleet FWC, Side Dinette (Purchased from Rocky Mt. FWC)

"We're all in this together"--The Red Green Show

#17 MountainSufi

MountainSufi

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 12:05 AM

Whoops! 

Alan originally posted the FWC Service tip.

Thankx Alan!

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
2012 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
2017 Fleet FWC, Side Dinette (Purchased from Rocky Mt. FWC)

"We're all in this together"--The Red Green Show

#18 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 07 August 2021 - 03:23 AM

'16 Hawk...simply pulled the fuse to the propane alarm...no more 0300hr wake up alarms..

#19 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 07 August 2021 - 02:29 PM

I had a similar issue in my Bundutec Odyssey.  We had installed a new mattress and apparently, there is a bit of gassing off which was causing the alarm to go off.  Only happens when the camper was closed up and eventually it stopped happening.

#20 Sledawg

Sledawg

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 03:36 PM

Same problem with random alarms especially while driving or charging. I put a switch on the circuit and turn it on only at night. Problem solved and protection intact. Risk is forgetting to turn it on. I put a small piece of tape on the faucet to remind me to turn it on.
2021 Off Road TACOMA 2013 FWC Fleet
Going Insane Diego!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users